Savage A22 rimfire FTF - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 09-22-2019, 10:56 AM
biking
US Army Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
83% (4)
Savage A22 rimfire FTF

Got any ideas? Love my new A22 thumb hole stock target have been shootin' various ammo to establish it's accuracy. Thus far CCI HV, Eley edge, CCI SV have proven to be extremely accurate out to my max 75 yards. Did my poor man’s stock bedding procedure placing a few pieces of bicycle rim liner on a few contact spots in the stock. OK the “good” now the “bad”. Have shot maybe a few hundred rounds and it does not cycle standard velocity shells well. I'm thinking there needs to be a “breakin” period shooting more shells for it to work with the standard ammo. Pretty sure it will come around after more rounds down the barrel. My main concern (finally) is it frequently provides light tapes on the rim and does not fire. Thinking maybe a new firing pin and spring will solve the problem. Took out the firing pin and cleaned the hole in the bolt it goes through. It was really grimy thought that would resolve the problem...not. Any auggestions? Not interested in sending back to Savage.
Old 09-22-2019, 12:42 PM
Toomany22s
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Weaker spring for SV? Or clean and spray with Hornady One Shot Dri Lube! Fixes many problems. At least for me
Old 09-23-2019, 12:16 AM
Dahsira

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I haven't fired the A22 so I'm not 100% how the bolt mechanism works. Having said that I would try one or both of the following

1. Shoot higher Velocity ammo for a 500-1000 rounds. This should get rid of any burrs or overspray or other rough edges where the bolt contacts the receiver. Once that is accomplished try the SV again and chances are with the reduced friction the bolt is encountering it will cycle

2. Take out the bolt, use a green scrubby to knock of any overspray inside the receiver, polish the points on the bolt that contact the receiver. Same as running though 500 rounds of HV. Let me stress that I have never taken apart a A22 so I don't know that this is actually possible. I have do this to great results on a 10/22.

The bottom line is regardless... Lighten the spring and/or reduce the friction the bolt is encountering while cycling and it will have more oomph to feed the next round in.

Hope that helps
Old 09-23-2019, 05:07 PM
biking
US Army Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
83% (4)
Good advice....will try all mentioned. Thanks