Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 09-19-2019, 11:30 PM
Old-Digger

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Medalist - Blue Lined Case

I spotted this for sale in Australia.

Was there a time when Medalists came in a blue lined case?

The serial number indicates a 1964 build.

Old 09-20-2019, 09:42 AM
Camster

TPC Rating: 
99% (54)
Probably a pure FN, not a Medalist made by FN for Browning.
I'm in the US, the market taken care of by Browning. I haven't seen that casing before.
Expert "Mark2506" would know more.
Old 09-20-2019, 05:35 PM
NHcollector

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Or a custom case. The home for the screwdriver doesn't seem intended for the original item.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-20-2019, 06:55 PM
Camster

TPC Rating: 
99% (54)
Quote:
Originally Posted by NHcollector View Post
Or a custom case. The home for the screwdriver doesn't seem intended for the original item.
The screwdriver doesn't appear to be an original item, nor the cleaning rod.

Sidenote:Blue flocked cases were Smith and Wessons of that era, so perhaps a repurposed case.

Last edited by Camster; 09-20-2019 at 06:58 PM.
Old 09-20-2019, 09:33 PM
seaotter
US Army Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Some Medalist for the non US market were sold by FN with hat case. That screw driver and cleaning rod shown were standard for that case. As far as I know the Medalist had a FN barrel address rather than a BAC address. The out side of the case is also blue. I recall that Mark25/06 bought one like that not too long ago. The more common black case with red interior was made in the US. Medalist were shipped to the US and then placed in the case by Browning here in the US.
SO
Old 09-30-2019, 11:05 PM
Old-Digger

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I have been offline for a while hence the late response.

Many thanks for your replies -
Old 10-16-2019, 10:14 PM
Mark2506
US Marines Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Sorry I have been away for a while now and just catching up, but I had a nice vacation and also unloaded some Colts at the annual Colt show that were taking up Browning room. Below is a picture of the one I purchased that SO mentioned. Yes these were strictly FN models. I'm sorry the cleaning rod is not shown complete in this picture but, with close review you can see the indention for it's placement. I have my doubts as to the screwdriver tool as this is the one that came in the US black case (it is opened thus taking the entire space) I believe the original was a black handle regular looking screwdriver. The space where this shows a plastic bullet block is a space for a fifty round box of .22"s. Note, target included and does have the FN manual. I have only seen mine and one other original in person and a couple over the years on the Net and there are different variations of the spacing of the interior. The outer case is black and resembles a small "Samsonite" suitcase in shape, handle and latches. This type Medalist, cased, seems to be rather rare. I have acquired what I think to be the most complete "BrowninG" Medalist collection lacking only two, a "one of" owned by the Browning family (which will not sale) and a "two of" which I have not, as of yet, been able to acquire so I bought this FN to show the case and looking for a mint French made Medalist, slab side for examples of the others not in the BrowninG line up. Hope this helps a little and I apologize for not taking the time to take my own picture showing the complete set, Mark

Old 10-19-2019, 08:35 PM
Old-Digger

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Many thanks for your reply and the very useful information. The case here is covered with a pale grey material that is in very poor condition overall. There is no latch and the covering has lifted at the edges throughout. The screwdriver is not original but the pistol and other components look very good given their age.
Old 10-20-2019, 07:36 AM
Veteran

TPC Rating: 
100% (24)
I can add photos of two cases with the blue lining that were for the European market, good for comparison.

Old 10-20-2019, 01:01 PM
seaotter
US Army Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Andyd, Thanks for the pics. The case shown in post 1 appears to be smaller than the ones in the other posts. Also the layout for accessories is different. As Mark questioned, what is the correct screwdriver? The one shown by Andyd seems a bit too short. Was a similar case made for a left hand Medalist?
SO
Old 10-20-2019, 02:29 PM
jofus

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
The screwdriver that appears in the upper photo (fluted aluminum handle) is an S&W accessory that was included with most handguns.