Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 02-09-2019, 10:15 PM
gcrank1

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
Just scored an H&R 150 Leatherneck

Never know what will show up on a gun show table.
A Riesing 22LR, a later version of what was a USMC trainer in WWII as the mdl 65 (that is why Ive posted it here).
It is a pretty clean 150 from '48-'53(?), I wish it was a 151 with the Redfield 70 AT peep, but alas, and the 150 is not d/t'ed so I cant just buy/mount one up.
Ser. # 10,5xx; anybody have an idea of where that falls into production data for the 150's?
Looks to be walnut stock, no flutes at back of wrist.
No sling swivels ever drilled/mounted.
Deeply grooved trigger face.
Proper 5 rd. mag (sure would like a 10).
Greenish hue, light park'ed? over a good polish barrel/receiver. Is this normal? Update: remaining blue underneath so it was blued; why it has turned a uniform greenish I havent a clue. Some particular wipe-down solution?
Full bottom metal, blued. This brings up the question: some online have a plastic trigger guard only; this is full length metal from take-down screw back and metal trigger bow. Does this bottom metal clue into when it was produced in the model run?
It certainly isnt a mil-trainer but it has that overall 'kinda look' especially with the park'ed color, more so than other post war 22s Im familiar with.
Oh, and it functions just fine, accuracy trials to begin when the weather warms

Last edited by gcrank1; 02-19-2019 at 10:39 PM.
Old 02-09-2019, 11:51 PM
A square 10
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
even tho not a real trainer it is an interesting attempt and very worthy addition to any collection/accumulation and i would love to see photos if you can , i know its dificult without direct computer upload capability but we do so enjoy seeing them ,
Old 02-10-2019, 12:24 AM
thomasheim
US Marines Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by A square 10 View Post
even tho not a real trainer it is an interesting attempt and very worthy addition to any collection/accumulation and i would love to see photos if you can , i know its dificult without direct computer upload capability but we do so enjoy seeing them ,
Absolutely. Please post pictures.

Sent from my LGL62VL using Tapatalk
Old 02-10-2019, 07:52 PM
gcrank1

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
I havent done pics to fora since PhotoBucket did us dirt; I seem to have an aversion to the whole idea now.....
I can easlly send to an e-dress and on occasion someone has stuck a pic on a thread for me.
Update on the greenish/park'ed color. There is evidence of actual bluing on surfaces underneath in the wood and inside the ejection port. Whatever blue there was is mostly gone and no real signs of the arm having been rusty and the blue cleaned off with the rust. The greenish is quite uniform, a good look for it actually. I have not seen bluing turn to this over time on anything before.
Im am not interested in 'restoring' it to as when sold but rather in the 'preservation as is' and having some fun with it. It certainly is a 'man sized rifle'.
Old 02-11-2019, 10:47 AM
schutzen-jager

TPC Rating: 
100% (21)
FYI - if you did not cancel your PB account , you can now post picture again for free - I guess that their extortion move has backfired on them -
Old 02-11-2019, 05:31 PM
gcrank1

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
No, didnt do anything, just walked away after the initial hit. Thanx for the heads-up, guess I should revisit the place.
Wonder if a lot of those tech/service threads with PB pics can/will have them 'restored'?
Old 02-11-2019, 07:34 PM
n64atlas

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
I have a 150 and a 151 along with 65's, 165's and a Mc58. They are addictive. Your trigger guard sounds like it was replaced. They were using plastic for these in that era. The 150 is third from the bottom
[IMG]DSC_0169_zps43a3b580 by r, on Flickr[/IMG]
Old 02-11-2019, 08:56 PM
gcrank1

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
Looking at the Gunpart's schematic for the 150 Leatherneck it is the pt # 52 long bottom metal from mount screw fully back to rear of t-guard.
The parts listed as 'new style' that I have compared to mine match.
Funny thing to me is that it is counter-intuitive; yours, with the then 'new-gen' plastic tg and a fluted wrist/comb and mine with the distinctive long bottom metal and plain wrist/comb; I would have expected mine to be early and yours later.
The models 65 and 165 online look have the simple metal tg and many of the 150s and 151s pictured online are like yours. If mine is the 'new style',as indicated by the parts schematic, and we know the production of the 150/151 was 1948-53 it must be the late mods in that window of time?

Last edited by gcrank1; 02-12-2019 at 02:58 PM.
Old 02-12-2019, 01:09 PM
schutzen-jager

TPC Rating: 
100% (21)
Quote:
Originally Posted by gcrank1 View Post
No, didnt do anything, just walked away after the initial hit. Thanx for the heads-up, guess I should revisit the place.
Wonder if a lot of those tech/service threads with PB pics can/will have them 'restored'?
some of them are restored others are not
Old 02-12-2019, 03:24 PM
gcrank1

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
I have had to do a bit more work than I initially thought, but hey, it IS 65+ years old!
Both trigger guard wood screws and the upper buttplate screw were stripped out of the wood; glued in plugs and re-drilled.
The tg metal was tweaked out of shape a bit; it is Soft, some judicious bending by hand 'squared it up'.
The magazine auto-eject spring was bent and hanging up the mag rather than helping eject it.
There was evidence in the bottom of the action inletting of some action parts contact; a little work with the inletting chisels clearanced that.
Front sight was loose. This is a 'sporting ramp' with a 3/8" dovetailed Marbles #22(?) bead sight. The ramp itself is mounted by a screw under the actual sight base into another 3/8" barrel dovetail 'blank'. I suspect that someone bonking on that sight blade, or even replacing it at some time, loosened the ramp/base. I doubt that assembly has been off since new; it was a toughy. Some bluing remained beneath, with corrosion and gunk. Or maybe somebody squeezed some goo in under there to try to hold it in place.
And the 'works', trigger/disconnector/etc. looked to have never been apart or maintained decently.
In short, the old thing needed some love and is getting it here.
Stepped out back into 8+ inches of new snow overnight and fired 2 mags full. Trigger still needs work.
Shoots the direction pointed, I was hitting quite well offhand at 20-25yd on spots in the snow.
It doesnt like Win bulk pack, plated, doesnt fully cycle/re-cock, fail to feed but does like CCI MiniMags.
When the weather gets nicer I will have to put it up against my Ruger 'LTR'/M1 carbine style 10-22 with Tech Sights and my Mossberg 151M(b) made about the same time as the H&R.
Old 02-12-2019, 05:41 PM
n64atlas

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Little trick to get it to shoot other a mmo than mini mags is to back off the reciever end cap a click or two.
Old 02-12-2019, 11:09 PM
alro41
US Marines Veteran

TPC Rating: 
100% (4)
Quote:
Originally Posted by gcrank1 View Post
It doesnt like Win bulk pack, plated, doesnt fully cycle/re-cock, fail to feed but does like CCI MiniMags.
I have a Model 65 and when it starts failing to cycle properly, I check and make sure the screw at the top of the magazine release "lever" is tight. When it gets loose all ammo will start failing to feed/cycle because the magazine doesn't seat properly.
Old 02-13-2019, 11:01 AM
gcrank1

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
Good tip on the recoil spring plug adjustability
Yeah, ftfeed, etc. always check the mag seating! It is fine, solid & tight, and after dropping the mag, clearing the chamber, re-insert, chamber and fire the next one hangs up. Right through the 5 rds. all the same.
Loaded mag with the CCIs and rocked through fine.
I think the Winnys (in spite of their 1280fps box rating) arent cycling the bolt far enough back, barely ejects, doesnt cock and only half gets the newly stripped cartridge up. Btw, I dont 'have to' shoot the Winnys in it but I always try my selection of plated bullet ammo in semi-autos to see what happens.
Old 02-14-2019, 11:22 AM
n64atlas

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
BTW, there was standard model 150/151 and a deluxe versions of these. You have the standard version. Mine is the deluxe. I think Gun Parts has it wrong on the old/new version. I will check with DAlbert and see if he has any company papers on these models.
Old 02-14-2019, 02:22 PM
gcrank1

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
Ah, that I was unaware of, dont recall mention that there were std and deluxe in the bunch of online stuff Ive gone into. Pls do check/clarify that early/late thing if possible . And it wouldnt be the first time something is wrong in a manual or parts list; stuff can get re-circulated too easy now, right or wrong.