Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 09-07-2019, 09:58 PM
Gripen
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! Appleseed Rifleman

TPC Rating: 
97% (27)
Attended my first Appleseed today

I first heard about Project Appleseed years ago, but was never really motivated to attend a shoot until the NRA convention last year, where I ran across the Appleseed booth, talked for a while, and signed up for a shoot. Enough life happened afterwards that I wasn't able to go, so I rescheduled...then rescheduled...then couldn't attend due to a family illness. Earlier this year I decided I needed some formal shooting instruction, since I'm a pretty good self-taught shooter but am not exactly a great shot by any means. So I signed up for a shoot in March or thereabouts, more life happened, I rescheduled again....and then the event I was going to attend got rained out! And so at long last, I was finally able to attend my first Appleseed today.

It was a one-day event, and a very long, hot and exhausting day it was. But the instructors were great, and I definitely think it helped improve my shooting. Probably due to heat and tiredness, I actually did better on my first redcoat target (cleared 100, 200, and 400 yards, and missed one on the 300 by a hair - missed the square though) than on the second (only cleared 100 and 200).

My first AQT I really screwed up: I shot pretty well, and would have scored right around 210....except that my first seven shots were on my neighbor's target. He did well too and would probably have made Rifleman if I hadn't messed us both up.

My second and final AQT I shot after about nine hours in the sun, and was completely done and ready to go. So I didn't try particularly hard, and just squeezed off shots as soon as I figured I had a decent enough aim. By that point I couldn't focus on the target or the front sight, and the sun was glaring down on my rear sight, so I honestly figured I'd just do it to get it over with. But I ended up scoring 221, and got my patch. Amazing what proper techniques can do, even when your gun and ammo are boiling hot (and I mean HOT), and your eyes are too worn out to work properly.

I'll definitely be attending another, hopefully a two-day event for some more practice and maybe a known distance shoot as well. All in all, great experience. I'm glad I finally made it, just wish I'd done it a year ago.

Finally got to shoot my dedicated Appleseed rifle that I built about a year and a half ago, I don't have any pics but I'll take some and post them in the picture thread tomorrow (hopefully). It's a Ruger 10/22 Carbine with some work by Randy at CPC (the trigger is really superb), Tech-Sights, and a walnut sporter stock.
Old 09-07-2019, 10:08 PM
Ironbar
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! Appleseed Member Appleseed Rifleman

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Gatorade is your friend at all Appleseed events!
Old 09-07-2019, 10:47 PM
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! Appleseed Member Appleseed Rifleman

TPC Rating: 
100% (20)
Congratulations! I am glad you persisted.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-07-2019, 11:09 PM
Gripen
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! Appleseed Rifleman

TPC Rating: 
97% (27)
I did bring a gallon of water and a bottle of Gatorade, but next time I might bring a gallon of Gatorade and a bottle of water.

Here's a pic of my setup. I used CCI Mini-Mags (36 grain hollow point) today.

I'm thinking about using my .22 AR next time, I brought it as a backup but never pulled it out of the case. And I'm wondering if I can pull off another Rifleman with my CZ 452...that rifle just fits me so darn well, better than any other gun I own.

Last edited by Gripen; 09-09-2019 at 07:29 AM.
Old 09-08-2019, 01:17 AM
wolfshoon
Appleseed Member Appleseed Rifleman

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
First off, congrats on your patch! It is a lot harder then everyone thinks to get one, especially the first time.

Did you have shade available?

I bring a 10' x 10' EZ up canopy and will set it up between the red and blue lines if I all ready have shade behind the blue line. This lets me shoot in the shade for a good part of the day. I also try to set up as close to the left side as possible, pos#1 if I can. This will also give the LSO shade as he/she watches over the rifle hot zone. Depends on your shoot boss as well, may or may not allow it so ask first.
Old 09-08-2019, 12:22 PM

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Shooting 221 with iron sights is no mean feat.

A problem with the Appleseed format, especially with one day events, is that by the time you get through the instruction on mechanics of shooting and positions, get all the participants sighted in, have lunch and get one or two history lessons, it is often getting to be late in the afternoon, and the hottest part of the day in summer. Participants especially the older ones like me, are becoming spent no matter how much water they have drunk or how much time they have spent in the shade.

The problem is compounded when you have a shoot boss that starts running AQT "grinds", at as fast a pace as possible with minimal allowance between stages to prep magazines. I have known bosses who start prep time for the next stage as soon as the line is cleared after the preceding stage, which often occurs very shortly after cease fire is called for that stage. This doesn't allow even a moment to sit down between stages and minimal time to sip water. Such a practice might allow for an extra AQT or so, but contributes to fatigue and pretty much prevents an individual who is already a bit fatigued or dehydrated to recover.

Two day events are better in this regard, although plenty of participants are already pretty fatigued from the preceding day even in the morning of the second day. If you attend another event, my suggestion would be to sit the portions of live fire you don't actually need. Come with your rifle already sighted in at 25 meters. If you feel like your positions are solid and you already have a good understanding of the rules of the AQT, you can probably sit out a good bit of the morning live fire, and save yourself for the AQTs or those elements that you feel you need more practice with.
Old 09-08-2019, 06:03 PM
MacGhillemohr
US Army Disabled American Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join! Appleseed Member Appleseed Rifleman

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Welcome to the ranks of Riflemen!
Old 09-09-2019, 12:02 AM
chuckbiscuits

TPC Rating: 
100% (16)
Appleseed is on my “to do” list. Not to be confused with my “honeydo” list. Congratulations on stepping up and getting it done. I’m jealous...👍👍👍
Old 09-12-2019, 09:40 AM
navybowhunter
US Navy Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join! Appleseed Rifleman

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gripen View Post
It was a one-day event, and a very long, hot and exhausting day it was. But the instructors were great, and I definitely think it helped improve my shooting. Probably due to heat and tiredness, I actually did better on my first redcoat target (cleared 100, 200, and 400 yards, and missed one on the 300 by a hair - missed the square though) than on the second (only cleared 100 and 200).
CONGRATS on Earning your Rifleman patch! That is an accomplishment to be proud of. Especially at a one day event, those can be real fast paced and typically do not offer more than 2 or 3 opportunities to shoot an AQT "for record".

Sometimes being tired is a real good thing. Before I shoot slow prone (or during any Appleseed event) I take Motrin.

The ability to RELAX into the position and the sling cannot be overemphasized. This applies to ALL 3 positions. Often, I find when shooting, 1/2 way thru a string of fire, my body relaxes more and more and tends to gravitate to my true natural point of aim. Something to keep an eye on, because it will happen.

Regarding
Hydration is your friend, and dehydration is the enemy.

Consider reading this post in here which is all about that.
https://www.rimfirecentral.com/forum....php?t=1140415

Hope you continue the Appleseed journey, it can be a lot of fun!

R/
Chris
Old 09-13-2019, 06:49 PM
Rychek
Appleseed Member Appleseed Rifleman

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Congrats on making Rifleman! I can't imagine scoring over 210 on a first time single day event. I made it on the last AQT of the second day of my first event, but I think it was because I was so tired by the end that I didn't have enough energy to not relax.

If Appleseed is on anyone's ToDo list, prioritize it. You won't regret it. I also recommend cooler weather time frames. I'm in South Texas and I went to a late February event that still left me quite sun burnt.