Critique My AR22 Build Plan? - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 06-19-2019, 07:11 PM
Willociraptor
US Marines Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member Appleseed Member Appleseed Rifleman

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Question Critique My AR22 Build Plan?

Have badly wanted an AR in 22LR for a long time. Have bounced through several ideas over time, but consistently come back around to the same general pattern. Think of it as a CMP/NRA Service Rifle, just in 22LR:
  • 20" barrel w/rifle-length sights, and threaded muzzle.
  • Freefloated for accuracy.
  • A2 furniture.
  • Detachable rear handle, to allow for experimentation w/optics.
  • NM 2 stage 4.5 lb trigger
  • Nice sling
I shoot a lot of 22's, and I like the AR platform, and I want an accurate AR22.... I know that Compass Lake does this kind of thing right off the line, but the off-the-shelf CLE rifles just cost more than I'm willing to pay. So I have to part one together.

After spending a good deal of time looking at the different offerings, and have a strong idea of what I want to do. Just wanted to get yalls feedback on it, incase I can do something different/better.

Build List is as follows.... (*: notes at bottom)
  • Aero X15/Gen2 Lower Receiver, Stripped
  • CMMG Gunbuilder Partial LPK
  • Stag Arms A2 Ambidextrous Safety
  • Rock River 2-Stage NM Trigger, 4.5 lb
  • Rock River A2 Grip (Green)
  • Rock River A2 Buttstock Kit (Green)
  • Rock River Rear Weight, 3.5 lb
  • USGI Web Sling, 1.25" Nylon (Green)
  • Aero M4 Upper Receiver, Assembled
  • CMMG Rimfire Charging Handle
  • CMMG Arc22 BCG
  • * CMMG 20" 1:16 Govt-Profile Rimfire Barrel (cut to 16", recrowned, rethreaded)
  • * Pike Arms Fake Suppressor
  • * Compass Lake Float Tube Kit w/Handguard
  • * Compass Lake Adjustable FSB
  • Compass Lake NMA2 FS Post, .052" Tapered
  • Compass Lake NMA4 Rear Sight, .0595" Hooded Aperture, 1/2 MOA Clicks

* CMMG Barrel/BCG Kit -- this is the only rimfire barrel I've found that definitely has a .750" journal at the rifle-length gas position with 500% certainty.
* Fake Suppressor -- just for the cool factor but could be left off without hurting performance
* CLE Float Tube Kit w/HG -- I've looked at the float tube kits from Rock River, Fulton Armory, White Oak, and Compass Lake. I think I like the CLE one best but it's an important part selection so what do yall think?
* CLE Windage-Adjustable FSB -- basically need a FSB that's adjustable for windage, to further ensure that mechanical zero is good to go once assembled. The only companies I see who do this are CLE and Fulton, and I picked the CLE sight base simply because I already picked their FF tube. Any tips/pointers?
Old 06-20-2019, 04:42 PM
Erik72
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I've thought this to myself on a couple of occasions. I've been aware of the CLE AR22s for a while and I thought, whew! That's pretty high! But now that I've purchased and/or built (5) AR22s with various barrels and bolts, I could have bought that CLE. It's nice having several options. I've got scopes on a couple and sights on the others but there's still that nagging feeling like I'm missing out on something.
Old 06-20-2019, 06:55 PM

TPC Rating: 
100% (6)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Willociraptor View Post
I shoot a lot of 22's, and I like the AR platform, and I want an accurate AR22.... I know that Compass Lake does this kind of thing right off the line, but the off-the-shelf CLE rifles just cost more than I'm willing to pay. So I have to part one together.
It's like we are sharing a brain.

1. Do you need to comply with format rules like those for a real NRA service rifle?

2. Are you comfortable with your current budget and choices, or are economy minded suggestions of interest to you?

3. Do you want a last round bolt hold open feature?

My observations are in red below. Some may not be pertinent if they don't meet your desires and goals.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willociraptor View Post
Build List is as follows.... (*: notes at bottom)
  • Aero X15/Gen2 Lower Receiver, Stripped - you might save $40-$50 with a Palmetto or Anderson
  • CMMG Gunbuilder Partial LPK
  • Stag Arms A2 Ambidextrous Safety
  • Rock River 2-Stage NM Trigger, 4.5 lb - I love these, but they may not withstand a lot of blowback use. A Larue MBT may be more durable. You'll want a reduced power hammer spring with either.
  • Rock River A2 Grip (Green)
  • Rock River A2 Buttstock Kit (Green)
  • Rock River Rear Weight, 3.5 lb
  • USGI Web Sling, 1.25" Nylon (Green) You could get an inexpensive 1907 sling for $30, or a better one for about twice that.
  • Aero M4 Upper Receiver, Assembled - an Anderson lightweight can be had for less than $40 and the missing forward assist allows right hand manipulation of the charge handle while slung up.
  • CMMG Rimfire Charging Handle - You don't need it. Get a cheap aluminium one.
  • CMMG Arc22 BCG - Check right to bear for CMMG parts for less
  • * CMMG 20" 1:16 Govt-Profile Rimfire Barrel (cut to 16", recrowned, rethreaded) I use an M4 profile barrel with a sight clamped on the very end. You might not have luck finding a smith who will work on a melonited/nitride barrel. You could also leave it at 20 inches and put the Front sight all the way out at the end.
  • * Pike Arms Fake Suppressor - I bet your accuracy will be better with a thread protector.
  • * Compass Lake Float Tube Kit w/Handguard That's pricey. Does it need to look like an A2, or would an ebay free float tube suffice?
  • * Compass Lake Adjustable FSB All clamp-on FSBs are windage adjustable. DEZ has that same base for $35 if memory serves.
  • Compass Lake NMA2 FS Post, .052" Tapered
  • Compass Lake NMA4 Rear Sight, .0595" Hooded Aperture, 1/2 MOA Clicks - You can find A2 style rear sights without the handle for $15. I hate the big ugly knob that secures them, but they do work well.
If you want last round bolt hold open to be functional, and you do, you'll want a Better Mag Adapter or ARCatch22 and some S&W 15-22 magazines.

Last edited by zukiphile; 06-20-2019 at 08:50 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-20-2019, 09:46 PM
octanejunkie

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Lots to tackle here but I would seriously consider what exactly you want to accomplish, goals-wise before you start buying stuffs.

If you are building a NM 22LR trainer to cross over from a centerfire upper then your choices are clear - you need a 20" barrel for the same sight radius, that is unless you follow the trend set by the NRA/CMP rules and go with optics vs open sights.

If you go traditional 20", CMMG sells a 20" government profile barrel with FSB already attached. The advantage of this is the barrel is already notched for taper pins and it's easy to knock them out to install a NM free float tube and then reinstall the FSB and pins, otherwise a gunsmith will be required because there are no flats on the 22LR barrels for adjustable FSBs. FWIW, I've never adjusted the FSB on my White Oak NM upper.

Like I said tho, most serious high power/service rifle competitors are running scopes these days. The basic limitations for optics are 4.5x power maximum and 34mm objective lens. High-Lux makes the best budget service rifle scope at $475 and there are a few Leupold and Burris options out there too.

One advantage of going with optics is you can just buy a commercial, dedicated 22LR AR upper from CMMG or PSA with a 16" M4 1:16 barrel and be good to go, no building required unless you really want to.

If you decide to build an A2 on a 16" barrel you can free float using any railed handguard and attach a sling swivel, it's NRA/CMP legal. Fulton Armory sells a hooded NM sight kit for $120 (https://www.fulton-armory.com/rearsi...4fa2upper.aspx), and White Oak (look under parts/uppers/highpower) sells a kit too that's a bit more work to install into a standard rear sight base but allows you to choose post and aperature sizes. The nice thing about the NM sight kits is you can install them on an A2 upper or a detachable carry handle. IMO, half minute would be fine for a 22LR.

Zuk already dashed your RRA trigger dreams but why not just bite the bullet and buy a 2-stage geisselle? They can be had for $165 on sale these days, just stick to 4.5# max pull.

Regarding the CLE free float tube you linked, that won't work with a 16" barrel as it's designed around a rifle length gas system, sorry.

There is zero advantage to a flash hider and personally I much prefer a larger target crown vs a threaded barrel on a centerfire NM barrel. On a 22 I would consider a threaded muzzle cap with a target-profiled crown (11) or a Shrewd compensator, nothing else.

The rest of your parts are fine/or not as critical in my opinion. If you want to spend $$$ on Aero Gen 3 receivers, go for it but those won't affect accuracy or the experience. I would however consider the BMA and SW mags or a Catch-22 so you get BHO function. Both of those bolt catch solutions will allow you to run a B.A.D lever, which is also NRA/CMP legal. I've seen Chinese ones for less than $12 shipped that work just fine.

On the subject of mags, I've not seen a SLED for 22LR and can tell you from experience that single round loading 22LR in an AR is tricky. Closest I've come to it is fashioning a tool that grips thh case by the rim but it's a PITA and you end up breaking position to load the tool. I'd rather just lost 10 rounds in the mag and ground the rifle between shots. YMMV

Hope this helps. Looking forward to seeing your dream become a reality!

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk
Old 06-21-2019, 12:13 AM
herpestes

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Bob sled 22 single shot sled.
Old 06-21-2019, 07:46 AM
Triggershoe
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
100% (8)
Quote:
Originally Posted by herpestes View Post
Hopefully not taking the thread off track, but does anyone actually have and use the .22 Bobsled? Is the Bobsled compatible with the BMA? Just wondering what folks do relative to accomplishing "single shot" loading/shooting. Mainly for practice to mimic centerfire NRA high-power match shooting in offhand and slow-fire-prone positions.

Back to the op's build suggestions relative to the float tube/handguard selection, if the op definitely wants an A2 configuration, I have used Rock River and Armalite full-float tube "kits" and both work well for this application. Also, the Armalite clamp-on front sight bridge works great if you can find one.
Old 06-21-2019, 08:04 AM
octanejunkie

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Quote:
http://www.originalbobsled.com/22Sled.aspx

Only for CLE 22LR uppers
Old 06-21-2019, 09:22 AM

TPC Rating: 
100% (6)
Willo, apparently you've found the world's most helpful help desk. I hope you return and follow the conversation. The other gentlemen in this thread know a lot about this topic; don't take any variance in our views or solutions as disregard for each fellow's experience.

Quote:
Originally Posted by octanejunkie View Post
If you are building a NM 22LR trainer to cross over from a centerfire upper then your choices are clear - you need a 20" barrel for the same sight radius, that is unless you follow the trend set by the NRA/CMP rules and go with optics vs open sights.
Departing from A2 sight radius and appearance really opens up the options.

Quote:
Regarding the CLE free float tube you linked, that won't work with a 16" barrel as it's designed around a rifle length gas system, sorry.
The 16 inch M4 profile will not have the full .750 block journal and shoulder in the right place for a rifle free float tube, but I see Willo already has it.

You can attached a clamp-on front sight base to the very end of the M4 profile and accommodate a rifle length free float tube, but it can't be an A2 FSB, which is nearly two inches long. You can use a shorter base. I have no experience with this one, but I know another fellow (Maybe IlHondo) used it. https://www.brownells.com/rifle-part...prod85934.aspx

I use a Sadlak picatinny base.
Old 06-21-2019, 09:46 AM
octanejunkie

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by zukiphile View Post
The 16 inch M4 profile will not have the full .750 block journal and shoulder in the right place for a rifle free float tube, but I see Willo already has it.
The M4 barrel is about 0.730 forward of the FSB journal, a shim can take up the slack.

Alternately you can look at this CMMG barrel. Not sure of the exact dimensions however
https://www.brownells.com/rifle-part...prod84122.aspx

Old 06-21-2019, 10:55 AM

TPC Rating: 
100% (6)
Quote:
The M4 barrel is about 0.730 forward of the FSB journal, a shim can take up the slack.
My .750 Sadlack gas block base doesn't require a shim for that. I've read one fellow using the Battle Arms Development FSB and sanding the edges where the clamp meets for use on smaller barrels.

Quote:
Alternately you can look at this CMMG barrel. Not sure of the exact dimensions however
https://www.brownells.com/rifle-part...prod84122.aspx
I wish. I have two of these.

They taper from more than one inch down to a bit under .9 with a very modest outward flare just before the threads. 10/22 bull barrel thread protectors are a good fit. It is an amazing barrel. Both feed everything and shoot 1.5 inches (I measure edge to edge) at 100 with Aguila SV, not just now and then, but ordinarily. The weight makes off hand shooting easier. https://drive.google.com/file/d/0Bw0...ew?ts=59a20632

I briefly considered using an oversized gas block like this,

https://www.mountsplus.com/sadlak-lo...-aluminum.html

but opted instead to stay within the .750 neighborhood and just bought a new M4 barrel.

I'm not saying one of you couldn't figure something out with this heavy barrel, but I think it would be a lot of work.

Last edited by zukiphile; 06-21-2019 at 11:43 AM.
Old 06-21-2019, 05:11 PM
octanejunkie

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by zukiphile View Post
I'm not saying one of you couldn't figure something out with this heavy barrel, but I think it would be a lot of work.
If some gunsmithing weren't out of the question, I would have a 0.75" OD, 4-in sleeve made that could attach to the threaded heavy taper barrel and clamp a traditional FSB onto the sleeve

Old 06-21-2019, 05:30 PM

TPC Rating: 
100% (6)
That solution is awfully good. Aluminium sleeves are already available on ebay. There are threaded 1/2x28 sleeves, but would need to be turned down to .75.

Last edited by zukiphile; 06-21-2019 at 05:44 PM.
Old 06-21-2019, 09:28 PM
herpestes

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
https://www.keystoneaccuracy.com/match-grade-uppers.html

Bottom of page
Will not work with BMA installed.
Old 06-21-2019, 10:04 PM
Triggershoe
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
100% (8)
Quote:
https://www.keystoneaccuracy.com/match-grade-uppers.html

Bottom of page
Will not work with BMA installed.

herpestes--- That's the unit I was referring to. It's a little "pricey" for a sled ($65) and was looking for info from someone that had actually TRIED one out with a CMMG bolt. It does not look like it has much of a "ramp" to feed the single cartridge into the chamber, but hard to tell from the pic on Keystone's website. Not sure if I want to spend $65 plus shipping, though, to find out. However, if it would truly feed/guide single rounds into the chamber without ANY bullet damage it MIGHT be worth it. It's pretty hard to single load rimfire rounds when slung-up in prone position with a Creedmoor coat on as well. Standing position is a little easier. At any rate, it seems like a lot of work just to get some "cheap" practice in (at least the ammo is, anyway) prepping for the real-deal centerfire stuff...The things we as competitors are willing to do continues to amaze me
Old 06-21-2019, 10:19 PM
herpestes

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I have both the keystone and compass lake set ups.

Difference between keystone and the cmmg bolt set up is that the feed ramp is machined into the barrel blank which requires nodding the cmmg bolt rail to eliminate the collar.

Compass lake is the better way to go if you dont want to remove BMA from lower to single load.
Cmmg set up will do the same thing just not lock the bolt back using black dog mags.
Compass lake will not lock the bolt open on last shot using the adapters that fit in AR mags.