Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 06-06-2019, 09:51 AM
Imaposer

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
My TX22 experience and thoughts...

My TX22 experience and thoughts... so far...

First let me say that I never thought I'd even want a Taurus, let alone actually buy one. They were so far off my radar screen that I wasn't even aware of the TX until recently. But then, after seeing so many favorable reviews I decided to check them out.

Normally I'm not an early adopter. I prefer to wait a while and let the bugs get worked out of new products. This is especially true of a gun that I have for "serious" purposes, and/or that costs a lot. But in this case, it's a fun gun and it's cheap! I figured, what the heck... Good reviews... looks and sounds nice... less than $300 OTD... I've spent that much and more on dinner and drinks, so it's not a huge gamble.

I ran across the thread about the bore issues so was prepared to maybe have to go through a few to find one with a decent bore. Then this past Sunday while googling the TX I discovered that Academy had just put them on sale ($279.99). And since I have an Academy near me I ran down Sunday evening, bore light in hand, to see if they had one in stock. The guy handed me the one in the display case and I checked it over... The gun felt great in the hand. Overall fit and finish was better than I expected and I really started warming up to the pistol's design and feel. I gave the bore a good look and decided to take it home. So naturally, he puts that one back on display and goes into the back to get me one. Oh well... So naturally I check it over thoroughly as well. It was the same as the first one so it is now mine.

Both bores exhibited mild chatter marks on the lands but nothing worse than I've seen in quite a few other bores. Definitely not a mirror polished target bore by any means, but nothing that alarmed me with a gun of this nature either.

So far (3 days) I have between 400 and 500 rounds through the gun, all suppressed. Due to the suppressor naturally the gun runs dirty. I did do a rough wipedown of the internals after 200-300 rounds just because I don't like to abuse my guns, but the gun was running just fine with all that crap in there. I've also peaked down the bore a few times and have seen no signs of leading or fouling at all, beyond just some unburned powder flakes. Last night I pulled a bore snake through once just to remove the powder residue and to allow for a better inspection of the bore. Under magnification and with a good bore light the bore looked clean as a whistle.

The gun has been running great and has exceeded my expectations. The gun just flat runs! The overall feel is one of quality and the fit and finish on my example is as good as any modern polymer gun I've handled. The weight and balance is very good and is really great with my DA Mask attached. The ergos are perhaps the best of any handgun I own. The trigger is very nice too. Average of five pulls with my Wheeler digital gauge was 3 lbs 8.9 oz. The more I play with it the more I like it and it is quickly becoming my favorite rimfire to shoot, if not handgun period.

Yep, I'm skeptical of Taurus in general and time will tell how it holds up. But as long as the durability is there I have to say that Taurus has a winner on their hands with this one. I did just watch a video last night (n8sguntalk) where the reviewer has put almost 6000 round through his without issue. He says that other than finish wear on the guide rails he has not seen any signs of wear, and that that finish wear has not progressed since around the 500 round mark. He plans to shoot the gun until it fails so I'll be keeping an eye on his channel to see how his runs.

I realize that the two guns I looked at are a very small sample and don't really say much about the bore issues that's been reported. Maybe I got lucky. Or maybe the issues aren't that common, IDK. With this in mind, I couldn't recommend buying one without inspecting it first. But, I can say that I'd recommend the pistol in general. Depending on weather I hope to pass the 1000 round mark in the next few days, and this will most likely be my most used gun for the foreseeable future, so I'll update this thread along the way...

Until next time...

Last edited by Imaposer; 06-06-2019 at 10:00 AM.
Old 06-06-2019, 11:14 AM
jkv45
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Congrats on the new gun and thanks for the range report.

I've got about 2000 rounds through mine without any amount of malfunctions or serious issues.

What suppressor is that? I like the looks of it. Maybe some day I'll get one.
Old 06-06-2019, 11:57 AM
Imaposer

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
That's good to hear. So far, in ~450 rds of mostly Federal bulk ammo, I've had 6 malfunctions. Two were failures to feed that I could perhaps attribute to me loading the mags with reckless abandon and with no great care, as both rounds were nose down in the magazines when I inspected for the cause of the malfunction. The other 4 were failure to fire. They all had very strong rim indents so I suspect these failures were due to just cheap bulk ammo and no fault of the pistol. Other than that the pistol has extracted, ejected and feed very consistently, always locked open on an empty mag, and never locked open on a loaded mag.

The suppressor is a Dead Air Mask HD. IMO, the best design currently available. VERY quiet, all stainless and titanium construction, easy to disassemble for cleaning even when heavily fouled, and with virtually no first round pop. Tim with the MAC did a good review of it and the Ruger MK4 a while back if you'd like to learn ore about it. The TX, or my M&P 22C, or Ruger MK4, or... through the Mask sounds almost exactly like my little pneumatic staple gun. Mainly all you hear is the action cycling and the bullet impact. I shoot mainly steel, so that's by far the loudest part. It allows me to shoot in my little backyard range anytime I want without disturbing the neighbors which means I shoot a LOT more since I don't have to go to the range just to shoot for a few minutes in the evening after work.

If you even THINK that you'd like a can, don't hesitate! I put it off for years and the first mag through it instantly told me that I wish I had done it years earlier.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-06-2019, 01:00 PM
Imaposer

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I definitely understand budgetary constraints. That kept me from buying one for many years too.

In hindsight though, I realize that I have a LOT more money in guns and accessories that I don't actually use that much at all. Due to what I described earlier about how the can allows me to shoot a lot more and basically anytime I want, just by stepping out my back door, it is now one of the best firearms related purchases I've ever made in terms of actual use and smiles per dollar spent. Of course that's my situation and preferences.

The Mask was $400. I currently have 6 guns that I use it on, and likely won't buy another .22 unless it accepts a can. I have many guns that I paid quite a bit more than that for and that I haven't shot in years.

The tax stamp is $200, which seems like a lot I guess. But, just to put it in perspective, the $200 tax was one of the provisions of the National Firearms Act of 1934. The tax imposed way back then was... yep, you guessed it, $200! In today's dollar that's roughly $3800! And yet today, it's still just $200. In 1934 the point was to make NFA items cost prohibitive for most, I suppose. Today? Meh... I spend more than that on crap on a regular basis.

As far as the government BS... Yeah, I get it. Personally, I don't think suppressors should be regulated any more than the mufflers on our cars. They are nothing but an inert and totally harmless device. They aren't a firearm. Etc, etc, etc... But, it is what it is... And unless that changes we have two choices, either play by the rules or don't play at all. So...

And the Silencershop makes the process as easy as possible. Just find a dealer near you with a Silencershop kiosk. Go online and buy the suppressor of your choice and get the order number and SN for the suppressor. Take that info to the kiosk and do the entire process electronically. It's very simple and guided through the kiosk. Takes maybe 15-20 minutes tops. Download the Silencershop app on your phone and use it to snap a selfie according to the instructions on the app. Silencershop then takes care of the rest, your transferring dealer will notify you when your tax stamp arrives, and you go pick up your can.

I've actually been strongly considering buying another Mask just so I can have them more dedicated to the two guns that I enjoy shooting the most without having to swap back and forth so much. Now THAT may take a little justification! But, maybe it puts it in perspective just how much I enjoy shooting suppressed.

But, enough about suppressors... this thread is about the TX22...

EDIT TO ADD: Hmmm... the above post was in reply to another poster. It looks strangely out of place now, but I guess he decided to delete his original comments that prompted the above reply. Oh well, I'll leave it for others that may gain from the info on the subject.

Last edited by Imaposer; 06-07-2019 at 04:01 PM.
Old 06-06-2019, 01:13 PM
jkv45

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Thanks for the info, you are starting to sway me...

One more slight OT question (but this is your thread anyway, so at least the OP isn't going to complain...) - is that suppressor only for .22 cal?

Last edited by jkv45; 06-06-2019 at 01:57 PM.
Old 06-06-2019, 05:15 PM
Imaposer

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkv45 View Post
Thanks for the info, you are starting to sway me...

One more slight OT question (but this is your thread anyway, so at least the OP isn't going to complain...) - is that suppressor only for .22 cal?
Basically yes, but due to it's construction it's rated for much higher pressures than many other .22 oriented suppressors, including 22LR, 22MAG, 22 HORNET, 17 HMR, 5.7X28MM (FNH). Shooting .22 caliber bullets through larger caliber centerfire suppressors won't give near the sound suppression of a dedicated .22 suppressor. And that's what the Mask is designed to do... be the quietest on the market. Plus, centerfire suppressors are larger, heavier, and some are not designed to be as user serviceable as the Mask. In general, centerfire cans don't need cleaning. Rimfire is very dirty though and being able to easily clean them is important.

Check out the design on their website:

https://deadairsilencers.com/products/mask/

And here's the video I mentioned earlier:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oWI0yydiyzc&t=907s

The whole video is worth watching but he begins the DA Mask testing at about 15:07.

Last edited by Imaposer; 06-06-2019 at 05:21 PM.
Old 06-19-2019, 04:48 PM
Havocsquad

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
My two cents review of TX22.

I have no use or desire for a centerfire pistol and not a fan of most pistols in general, however this Taurus TX22 .22LR rimfire has been a good exeception.

Been in the market for a good .22LR plinker/truck gun type of semi-auto pistol.

I mulled/pondered a long time over numerous models, SR22, M&P22, S&W victory, Ruger Mark IV 22/45 series.

The three biggest factors was reliability, cost, reasonable accuracy, and trigger quality of stock config versus aftermarket if possible.

Mark IV 22/45 lite series is nice build quality and great ruger support but pricey for stock config with meh/so-so trigger from the data I've found.

Add volquartsen or Tac solutions upper with trigger kit and you've pushed the price of it through the roof.

The M&P 22, it is probably decent, but felt I would be better off using its list price to buy a Mark IV 22/45.

S&W victory .22, good value target pistol but longer than I would prefer for a plinker.

SR22, well I am not a fan of double action/single with decock. Mainly because of the trigger system and exposed hammer.

Kel Tec CP33: Magazines are expensive, require careful loading, and the thing is more bulk than I want.

Why I chose the TX22:

1. Reliability with nearly all semi-auto feeding quality ammo that I've put through it. If the ammo puts out enough energy to eject and feed, the cartridge is in minimum SAAMI spec, and the bullet nose doesn't deform, this gun will eat it up.

One note, do not shoot lead rounds in this gun if you don't clean the barrel regularly. I believe the reports of the barrel leading up fast with lead bullets. The accuracy will go to crap if it leads up quickly because of rough milling. It may or may not get better once broken in.

Every issue encountered in about 200 rounds of bulk ammo has been Winchester whitebox bulk fail to eject and failure to push the next round in. I think it was 1 fail to eject completely and two fail to feed with winchester whiteboxbulk.

All signs of bulk underpowered rounds that didn't push the slide far enough to feed the next round.

The Federal bulk ammo shot had no issues.

2. The trigger. The trigger on this handgun is a very good trigger for the gun's overall price point. 4'ish pound trigger with a very consistent wall, crisp break, and short reset.

3. Reasonable accuracy. I was getting about 2 to 2 1/2 inch groups at 25 yards on a rest with Winchester bulk. From all the sources, that's par with thick sights and no match grade trigger/barrel.

3. Simplicity and design. Utilizes a lot of the technology for striker fired pistols and applies it to the TX22. There is some complicated parts, but for most field strip and basic cleaning it is great.

The gun IS per Taurus tech support/manual safe to dry fire. In fact you muat dry fire in order to disassemble it.

Replacing barrel or action spring is easily done by doing the field stripping of it.

Nothing feels flimsy or cheap on it at this time.

4. Comfort/Fitment. Yes, it is a full sized semi-auto. If compact size is not needed, then it should fit most people's hands well.

5. Price. There are similar .22LR pistols that are in the $300 range that do a decent job and some that suck.

The TX22 gives you about the performance quality of a Ruger Mark IV 22/45 lite but with a much better trigger. I don't own a Mark IV 22/45, but one of the first things people do on them is improve the factory trigger system.

6. Number of Independent Reviews. This factor/data point pushed it from a maybe to a definite yes. The number of independent reviews from respectable and credible sources.

Constructive criticism points:

1. More options to the factory sights. They are your typical centerfire semi auto sights. Some like em, some are indifferent, some hate them.

If they stay put and adjust properly when needed, that is good enough.

2. Maybe a safety a little easier to manipulate. That might not be an issue later on.

3. Barrel machining in the bore is rough on certain areas. Not a deal breaker since it shoots fine, but making some changes to improve the quality of barrel production.

Overall, would I recommend it?

Yes I would, just buy one in person so you can inspect the barrel before purchasing.

I think these ones with major barrel issues were early retail versions.

Last edited by Havocsquad; 06-19-2019 at 04:53 PM.
Old 07-03-2019, 02:40 PM
45Man

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
I feel much the same about Taurus.
Didn't even know these existed until today. Actually been looking for a .22 SA or DA revolver, Ruger Wrangler but few have them yet.
PSA has these on sale for $259.99 & Taurus is offering a $50 rebate if you purchase between 7/1/19 - 9/30/19.

Can't go too wrong for $209.99 + $20 transfer fee.

I take that back, you can go wrong.
Read this thread...
https://www.rimfirecentral.com/forum....php?t=1157795

Maybe my expectations are too high. Nothing will compare favorably to my Ruger Mark II Government Target Model, which was the same price 30 years ago as the Taurus is today.
BTW, the factory trigger never needed any improving.

Last edited by 45Man; 07-03-2019 at 02:56 PM.
Old 07-12-2019, 04:02 PM
Havocsquad

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I've been sitting on the fence for the past three years for a value based performance .22LR semi auto pistol that hit all the main points.

This one did, I have no regrets getting my TX 22. It has performed as well as any good semi-auto .22 LR gun can using bulk ammo.

I just don't use lead nose ammo in it, seems like a lot of hassle unless you intend to shoot some match ammo.

As many have suggested and what I did was go to a LGS with them in stock and pick the one with the best looking barrel of them.

Except for some of the very early production runs of the barrels that were very bad, I think the barrel bore machining has been blown out of proportion of its relevance on the gun's performance.

I got the performance of a Ruger Mark 4 22/45 Lite with an upgraded trigger pull in a package that cost me $300 out the door.

I call that a win.
Old 08-13-2019, 01:10 PM
timberbeast

TPC Rating: 
100% (39)
I've got about 1000 rounds through mine and it is holding up just fine. My TX22 barrel has the chattering at the muzzle that is very common (I've looked at about 10 others for sale in various shops and they all have it). My barrel does not lead up, so I've been cleaning it lightly, mostly making sure the chamber is clean and cleaning the bolt face. Keeping the barrel fouled with some lead is leading to better accuracy, but for it's intended use, even with the mediocre barrel machining, the TX-22 is a good pistol.

I'm pretty happy with it as a training pistol. Here are 60 rounds at 7 yards on a silhouette target:

I put another 60 rounds though and while the group did open up, that was me, not the pistol.