Reworking factory barrels to make it shoot - Page 2 - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 06-23-2019, 02:59 PM

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)

TJ, it just cannot be said that 'x' work will 'fix' what you have described.
You know using that better ammo works so why not spend the money otherwise spent on 'work that may do nothing' on ammo that works for sure instead.
Old 06-23-2019, 04:57 PM
noisy2

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
barrel massage

truckjohn if you cant get the troublesome one to shoot make sure your chamber&leade area is free of carbon it may look clean&shiny but without a scope its darn near impossible to tell i thought my 52 was clean but could not get it to group many diff. ammo tenex centerx r50 to no avail till i went and got the proper cleaning rod,brushes,solvent,bore paste,and finally it worked it was what they call here the dreaded carbon ring,if your unsure of a damaged crown that seems to be problematic with guns damaged if you cant find a gunsmith find a small round headed brass screw,drill,valve grinding compound slowly gently face the end of muzzle ID of bore just takes very small amount of metal off when you see the surface ID of the hole all the way around polished your done
Old 06-23-2019, 06:14 PM
truckjohn

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by gcrank1 View Post
TJ, it just cannot be said that 'x' work will 'fix' what you have described.
You know using that better ammo works so why not spend the money otherwise spent on 'work that may do nothing' on ammo that works for sure instead.
Randy sure does redo chambers on a lot of barrels. Que and Nemohunter sure redid a lot too...

Nobody complained that a factory chamber shot better than their reworked barrels did....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-23-2019, 11:07 PM

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
Well, you asked....now it seems like you came to a conclusion.
Go for it
Old 07-08-2019, 11:08 PM
truckjohn

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I am getting there.

Here's something interesting. My 2013 Marlin XT-22 vs a pawn shop pickup 1994 Marlin 25N chamber.

I did some measuring - this chamber XT-22 is bit over 1/10" longer and 0.002" wider than the 25n chamber.

While the bedding, trigger, and action mounting is better on the XT-22 - I think the barrel is better on the 25n. It shows these sparks like it *could* be a very accurate rifle. It will go put multiple rounds of the CCI SV into the same hole - then the action shifts around in the stock and it throws a flyer somewhere.

First, the Marlin 25n
CCI SV, Eley club, and Eley tennex don't fall in. They stop like this. My other ammo falls in all the way. It shoots these 3 very well - but the tennex is excellent.

Click the Thumbnails.

CCI SV.

Eley Club

Eley Tennex - it barely makes it in past the bullet.

By contrast - only the Tennex sticks up proud in my XT-22.. Everything else falls in. You can see the Tennex drops in perhaps 1/4" deeper into the chamber. All the others just drop in all the way.

Tennex is far and away the best shooting ammo in both of these.
Old 07-10-2019, 09:21 PM
truckjohn

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Hmmm... Seems like everybody has lost interest in this. Anyone anyone... Buehler buehler buehler.....

Anyway...
So I had a chance to take a look-see at a couple older Marlin take off barrels.
One was an 880 barrel and the other was an older non-microgroove JC Higgins badged Model 80 barrel.

The old Model 80 barrel has the tightest and shortest chamber - though it's still not a "Match" chamber... this one has no extra freebore.
My 25n and the 880 barrel are basically the same - and are sort of similar to the older chamber except for added freebore - probably added for shooting stingers... They are about 0.001" wider than this old Model 80 chamber.
The XT-22 is the longest and loosest. It's about 0.002" wider than the 25n. It has a bit more freebore than the 25n.

What would this indicate to me....
People are probably shooting a lot more hyper-velocity rounds like Stingers and Velocitors than before...

Marlin has received FAR more complaints about poor extraction and stuck ammo than they have about bad accuracy...

So.... Next step - find a lathe and a reamer....
Old 07-10-2019, 10:57 PM
1FJEF

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I watch this thread! I am less thrilled about the subject as the fellows that would set back a barrel for super low buck are gone, or at least as far as I know. I was too stupid to take advantage of the services of QUE. I have a half dozen barrels that could use his finesse. I can't afford Randy at CPC. I have zero access to a Lathe or I'd give set back a shot on some take off barrels followed by hand reaming.
I have a custom made action with variable headspace and a superb chamber, so I see the need for a match chamber on most actions.
Old 07-10-2019, 11:00 PM
1FJEF

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Oh yeah, I forgot about Nemohunter, I tried to contact him years ago, but it didn't pan out. I think that was a Green Mountain 10-22 bbl rework.
Old 07-10-2019, 11:15 PM
truckjohn

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
That's my pain as well. I would love to send these off to somebody like Squasach, Que or Nemohunter.... But those guys are sadly gone and there's nobody to take their place for all the non-10/22 stuff. Randy does 10/22 stuff but he is pretty slammed with that.

I am going to try to find a local machinist who can turn the receiver stub and see about a chamber reamer....
Old 07-10-2019, 11:21 PM

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
LOTS of reamers to choose from so pick wisely for the intended purpose.
Old 07-10-2019, 11:21 PM
1FJEF

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Sorry for the multiple posts truckjohn, I forgot to mention that in the 1990s a buddy and I would immediately stop if rimfire groups looked hinky but the rifle/scope checked out . My buddy would take the rifle to a local gunshop & the smith would use a crown tool which accepted different pilots. He'd match the pilot to the bore, knock it out in minutes. I don't believe ANy polishing was done.. My buudy only got charged $25 or $35 depending on the 'smiths mood. Every rifle we had recrowned, however perfect the crown looked, showed improvement. In one case it was night & day.
When a Winchester Low Wall (yes, a real one) had a liner installed and a re-blue the 'smith goofed up the chamber, it took a dowel to seat the round so the falling block would come up. So I guess chambers can be a pain. We had to return a .22lr BR Cooper barreled action that wouldn't extract, yet the chamber looked beautiful. Cooper looked at it & exchanged the entire rifle! It took so long we went centerfire, so that was that.

Last edited by 1FJEF; 07-10-2019 at 11:25 PM.
Old 07-10-2019, 11:23 PM
1FJEF

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Good idea, gcrank1. I'd check with the guys at Champions Choice & Champion Shooting supply & see if they know or can refer you to someone that knows.
Old 07-10-2019, 11:26 PM

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
The good thing about starting with a tight 'match' chamber is you can always make it looser.
Old 07-10-2019, 11:50 PM
1FJEF

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Yeah, I'm not worried, as long as the action will close with acceptable effort. I'd need guidance, but you're right, you aren't doing a re-chamber, just a re-leade/throat job. I think most of the guys on this forum were only going about .10 on the setback, or about one (threaded) barrel revolution so the sights were lined up. That part would make me nervous on a threaded barrel. I can see why a 'smith would want some serious $$ for a threaded bbl with sights. You can "fake/fudge it" a bit on the extractor groove, but the sights are another matter. I guess we're talking a scoped rifle for a set back job, so I'd get over it if the sights were removed and fillers installed, but now were even bigger bucks. If the smith has major skills he could set back far enough to have the bbl "upside down" when finished. Big money, he's got to re-mark the bbl with the caliber too. Won't work on a tube mag gun either. Frustrating
Old 07-11-2019, 10:25 AM
truckjohn

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I think the amount of setback sort of depends on the chamber and the rifle. Semi-auto slush-box actions are a lot more picky about the bullets dragging in the chambers when loading. With a bolt action - you can give it an extra push and stuff it up in there...

The chamber does need to be big enough so you don't shave bullets on the way in or knock the bullets crooked... That sort of limits how small you can go and what ammo you can run - and I am suspicious that some of those match chamber reamers may end up getting the chamber mouth flared a wee bit so you can get the bullets started into them straight....

For example - the good shooting Eley Club and good batches of CCI SV run around 0.225". My good shooting Tennex runs around 0.227" and it's old dried out lube takes it to 0.229"... Guess what - a chamber mouth under 0.227" probably won't load those without shaving or bending them... You could go down smaller towards the throat to ensure everything is aligned with the bore properly.