Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 11-08-2018, 11:06 AM
wv109323

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Starting with a blank cheet

I would like to build/buy a SSB. So for the more knowedgeable ,how would you economically proceed?
What make and model to start with? Are there models that do not require an aftermarket barrel?
I prefer a walnut stock. I would like to end up with a rifle that will shoot .3 to.2 at 50 yards.
I have a CZ 452 HB and a Savage 93 HB. I really don't want to whack up the CZ but the Savage is OK.
Other models include a Winchester 320.
I envision bedding the action and trigger work.
Thoughts and comments.
Old 11-08-2018, 06:55 PM
Clem-E

TPC Rating: 
100% (9)
most of us dont even modify them. stuff like trigger work, pressure points under the barrel, testing batches of target/match ammo goes a long way. My cz 452 varmint was the first rifle to make the 4 zee row game. honestly, if you want to just buy something that will likely shoot sub .3s with regularity, try an anschutz 64 mpr. when mine shoots .2s at 50y its a bad group for that rifle. the anschutz is just easier to shoot than the more sporter oriented rifles. the 4oz 2 stage trigger doesnt hurt either.

FWIW, none of my stuff is bedded in the traditional sense. i do use rubber bicycle inner tube to put pressure under the chromoly barrels. my MPR has shot quite a few sub .1 groups at 50y like this.

Last edited by Clem-E; 11-08-2018 at 06:59 PM.
Old 11-14-2018, 03:48 PM
mwagon

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Just one guys version,
Savage MK1 FVT in a Boyd's ProV, Filled mag well and poured/drilled epoxy action mounting pads. Trigger shimmed, lightened, with the safety blade removed and a shoe added. Leupold standard bases with a Mueller 40x 56mm scope. Early in adjustment much learning to do.

24 rounds Lapua CenterX, 50 yards first group after sighting in the scope.

All together around $700 invested, including a set of Lyman sights for an occasional change of pace, some 5 round groups 25 yards Ely Rem ammo . KM
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-23-2018, 06:51 PM
vicfox

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I started with a early 1960's Walther target rifle [kkm], worked through to its favorite ammo to suit the rifle [CENTRE x] and a cheap scope [zos10-60] and it shot super super well.

If I had that Walther today or was going out to do what you want to do myself again I'd get onto a clean old Anshutz or Walther target rifle again and I'd fit it up with a Mueller 40x56.

I think there's more money to be spent on a field /sporter rifle [over its purchase price] to get it to shoot like a target rifle and even if you had to spend some bucks on a old target rifle you'd still finish up with a better shooter more than likely than the alternative at a more budget price.

I have a very accurate CZ 452 but it will never get to the accuracy of a dedicated target rifle without big big dollars.

So I have a field rifle for hunting and a Targt rifle for BENCHREST.
Old 11-29-2018, 04:43 AM
1FJEF

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
CZ 452, no whacking required, just a simple trigger kit & some experimentation with bedding. I would like to have a rim fire rifle that would shoot in the twos & threes at 50 too. That's a big ask, I've seen guys claim it, but usually that's a screamer group they had or inventive measuring. If the group is .22lr or .22 mag & it's 3 bullet holes wide it's not in the twos. In zero wind I've shot a Cooper Bench Rest rifle in a BR stock and got some groups in the ones, but most were in the .2 & .3 range. I also tried an Anschutz 54, my best group at 100 was .625.
Those guys in the CZ forum are getting incredible accuracy, I'd go with that. Some of the Savages are super accurate, if yours has a wooden stock and is an accurate example that would be fun as there seem to be less Savages in SSB than I would expect.

Last edited by 1FJEF; 11-29-2018 at 05:07 AM.
Old 11-29-2018, 08:23 PM
Clem-E

TPC Rating: 
100% (9)
For the $ in a sporter rifle, the CZ is a great bang for the buck.
Old 11-30-2018, 01:25 AM
1FJEF

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
You'll think it silly, but if I was to start from scratch I would like to try a Ruger American.
Old 12-01-2018, 06:49 PM
mwagon

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
1FJEF,
I understand the idea and have a start. RART in a Provarmint (also) with a 4-12x Vortex, single shot mag adapter, and a compensator. Shoots as well as the Savage at 50 but spreads a bit at 100. Both still have a way to go and so do I (probably more). On thing the RAR has is a better trigger. Since retirement making a inexpensive "sow's ear" shoot well has become a home hobby and learning adventure! KM
Old 12-02-2018, 12:30 AM
1FJEF

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Nice. I see you have a stock pattern you like. That's great. I'm not surprised that the Savage is more accurate, trying to get the Ruger to match it is the fun part. Do they like similar ammo?
Old 12-02-2018, 01:02 PM
mwagon

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Both shoot similar groups 1/2 inch all day at 50 yards 1 inch plus for the RART at 100. The Savage has not been on the 100 yet.
Both like similar ammo, CCI ST, Eley Remington and Club, Ely Match and CCI Green Tag, Lapua Center X. Good to best but in small increments. Both are single shot setups, MK1 FVT and a tunner single shot adapter for the RART. Savage trigger is way more work needing shims, springs, blade deletion and a trigger shoe to feel almost as good as the RART with the adjustment spring removed (the blade spring works well to reset the trigger yet staying safe). Both triggers break at 18-19 oz.
Neither has cost $700 total so far.

I did use a 22 inch standard RAR action and barrel prior to the RART, that shot every bit as well.
Measurements are outside edges not center to center. The standard action now resides in the RART stock for squirrel hunting.

Still working on my performance behind these, and I know I can improve. Will then see about messing with the actions/chambering/barrels. KM
Old 12-02-2018, 05:35 PM
Quest
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Starting Really from Scratch

If you were to buy an action and barrel and all parts from one or more places, and either build up yourself or have a top gunsmith do it, what would make the absolute best (most accurate) .22 long rifle bench rest rifle? Opinions and reasons, please!
Old 12-02-2018, 11:14 PM
mwagon

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Good question. Maybe start a new post instead. KM
Old 06-27-2019, 09:18 AM
jps2486

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Time and again, I've seen and read these posts, not only about rimfires, but airguns too. Folks just starting out in precision shooting will buy a cheap rifle hoping that they will win the lottery and get one that shoots lights out. NEVER HAPPENS! Even if you are semi-serious about this, think about starting with a good used target rifle like an Anschutz, Suhl, Winchester 52, Remington 40X and go from there. If this type of shooting really interests you, then you can consider something better. Why do I say this? I have left a trail of used rifles that never really panned out. It was a fun trip, though.
Old 06-27-2019, 11:04 PM
1FJEF

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
That's a lot of $$$ though. Those brands you mentioned start at $700ish without sights or optics anywhere in California that I've seen. He specified "Benchrest Rifle" & best in the same sentence. The most accurate .22lr I've shot (& I've tried dozens) was a Cooper barreled action bedded by McMillan to a Hunter BR stock. Even without a tuner it was shockingly accurate, I shot a few ones at 50 in zero wind with Eley BR Gold. Without bases & optics it was around $2500. It was far more accurate than any Annie 54.18 match variant we tried, I mean it was obvious.
If he means he just wants a surprising 22lr for reasonable $$$, how's he going to beat a CZ with some cheap trigger work & some experimenting with bedding?? Later do a rebarrel, bolt work etc, etc, etc.... People don't realize how much true rimfire benchrest stuff costs. Time Precision actions are about a grand, complete rifles are around $2200. Cooper is around $2500.
His post is from Dec 2018, so it's all a moot point anyway, lol.
Old 07-12-2019, 10:51 AM
truckjohn

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
There's the difficult way and the easy way....

The easy way is to look at the leader boards here. Figure out what is most highly represented in the lists of people who have made and buy one of those. That will probably put you on an Anschutz or a CZ 457 with a spendy barrel.

The hard way is to start with something that is *Not* anywhere on the lists and do what it takes to get yourself there... For example - you could start with a new Mossberg 802 plinkster bolt action.... Work your way through it and see if you can do it. The hard part there is that it's uncharted waters and there is usually no support....

For example - Marlins - there are only 2 or 3 Marlin rifles total on the SSB lists.... CAN they do it - probably... but it's going to take work for you to sort it out without really any aftermarket support....

CZ 457.... Many more... You can buy pre-fitted/chambered match barrels from a couple companies like Lilja... You can't get one of those for a Marlin - you will have to find a gunsmith and do it yourself.....