Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 04-22-2019, 05:25 PM
mr500cm

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
87a feed problem.

Finally got my Stevens 87a out to the range and after one shot it jammed up. It ejected the fired shell but the next shell in jammed. I have to take the gun apart to remove the shell. Im not really familiar with this rifle, so Im looking for probable cause of this happening.

Lance
Old 04-22-2019, 07:43 PM
72coupe
US Army Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Sounds like the spring on the magazine tube may be week.
Old 04-23-2019, 11:44 AM
Catt57

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I have repaired several of these and the most common issues affecting their function I have found are:

#1. A build up of residue inside the receiver, the firing pin channel in the bolt, and under the receiver cap (causing the spring to compress to much).

#2. Misaligned lifter: With the bolt locked open, the top of the lifter should be nearly level with the top of the feed lips. It is not uncommon for the lifter stop to bend over time and cause it to be misaligned. Also some rifles are very finicky about where the lifter stops. Start with it level and if that doesn't work try just barely above or below level.

#3. Check that the lifter spring has not been installed backwards. And that the lifter spacers are not wearing out as this can cause to much sideways movement so that the lifter is not staying under the round correctly.

#4. Also a bent or broken cartridge guide spring can case all kinds of feed issues.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-23-2019, 06:06 PM
mr500cm

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catt57 View Post
I have repaired several of these and the most common issues affecting their function I have found are:

#1. A build up of residue inside the receiver, the firing pin channel in the bolt, and under the receiver cap (causing the spring to compress to much).

#2. Misaligned lifter: With the bolt locked open, the top of the lifter should be nearly level with the top of the feed lips. It is not uncommon for the lifter stop to bend over time and cause it to be misaligned. Also some rifles are very finicky about where the lifter stops. Start with it level and if that doesn't work try just barely above or below level.

#3. Check that the lifter spring has not been installed backwards. And that the lifter spacers are not wearing out as this can cause to much sideways movement so that the lifter is not staying under the round correctly.

#4. Also a bent or broken cartridge guide spring can case all kinds of feed issues.

Number 1 is out. The gun was clean lubed then wiped off.

In will disassemble it this weekend and try and solve the mystery.
Old 04-29-2019, 12:06 AM
Catt57

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr500cm View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catt57 View Post

Number 1 is out. The gun was clean lubed then wiped off.

In will disassemble it this weekend and try and solve the mystery.

Any luck?
Old 10-11-2019, 06:48 PM
dwildemn

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Lifter stop same as wing?

After looking at another video on the 87a on rfc, I noticed that the wing was much lower than mine. If this is the lifter stop you refer to, i think you have solved my problem. Thanks in advance.