Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 03-31-2019, 10:42 AM
wbwanzer
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Taurus TX-22 or M&P22 Compact?

Hey folks,
I've got the itch to get a new .22 pistol and am liking the new TX-22 and the M&P22 Compact. Both are light weight plastic pistols with the Taurus holding 16 rounds and the M&P22 holding 10 rounds. I believe the TX-22 is striker fired and I believe the M&P is hammer fired but not certain. I believe that the Taurus is made in the US and I'm pretty sure that the M&P22 Compact is made here also. The slides of both are made of Aluminum alloy, not pot metal. I can get the TX-22 for $331 out the door and the M&P22 Compact in FDE (which I'm liking a lot) for $375 OTD. Those are the facts as I know them. Almost forgot: both are easy to take down for cleaning.

The subjective elements are hard to pin down. I saw the TX-22 at a gun show so there was a zip tie through the barrel so I couldn't really play with the slide or trigger. I've read good things about the Taurus trigger. Not sure about the M&P trigger. I'm feeling like the TX-22 trigger would be the better of the two. But my gut is telling me that the M&P is probably better built. The Taurus is very new on the market so not a lot of history there, but reviews so far have been very good. Reviews of the M&P are very good also. So I'm not sure which way to go.

Any input from you folks would be appreciated. And don't tell me to get both of them. The wife would shoot me

Last edited by wbwanzer; 03-31-2019 at 10:44 AM. Reason: added takedown info
Old 03-31-2019, 01:13 PM
jkv45

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
The M&P22 Compact and the TX are made in the U.S., unlike the full-size M&P22 which is made by Walther/Umarex. The Compact is not full-size, unlike the regular M&P, but it's not just a shorter slide or grip - it's scaled down to 75% of the regular model. The M&P Compacts have also had some issue with barrel quality.

I almost bought the M&P22 Compact before I bought the TX, but when I handled the M&P I didn't like the smaller size.

Another gun to consider is the Walther PPQ .22 - not the P22. The PPQ is a step up from the sometimes problematic P22.

The PPQ and TX are very similar in performance, so I'd handle both if possible before making a decision.

TX -

PPQ -

Old 04-01-2019, 04:31 PM
speeedy6
US Army Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
The Taurus was mentioned in the latest NRA Rifleman magazine. The " Keefe Report " had a lot of good to say about it. I would definitely consider it . Don't buy both for yourself. Get one for you and one for your wife !
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-01-2019, 05:10 PM
jkv45

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Latest (Apr '19) Guns & Ammo magazine has it on the cover also.

Old 04-01-2019, 06:14 PM
wbwanzer

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I pulled the trigger, so to speak. LGS didn't have a TX22 but is ordering one for me.
Old 04-01-2019, 06:16 PM
wbwanzer

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by speeedy6 View Post
The Taurus was mentioned in the latest NRA Rifleman magazine. The " Keefe Report " had a lot of good to say about it. I would definitely consider it . Don't buy both for yourself. Get one for you and one for your wife !
I like it.
Old 04-02-2019, 03:21 PM
triplebike

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
I have had my TX22 for about a month now. I have never had so much fun & enjoyed shooting a handgun as much as the Taurus. It eats every brand or quality of 22 I throw at it. I can't remember the last time it failed to do anything but run flawlessly. I must have well over 3000 rds fired & it just keeps running better & better. It is very accurate and soooo easy to control while shooting. I have shot a lot of 22's but the TX22 has been the easiest to shoot accurately. It's rivals my PPQ's trigger to the point where I might favor the Taurus's trigger. Mags are available from Taurus online for $22 each, so no breaking the bank there. (Ive already purchased two more) If your looking for a really fun 22 check one out.
Old 04-02-2019, 03:39 PM
wbwanzer

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by triplebike View Post
I have had my TX22 for about a month now. I have never had so much fun & enjoyed shooting a handgun as much as the Taurus. It eats every brand or quality of 22 I throw at it. I can't remember the last time it failed to do anything but run flawlessly. I must have well over 3000 rds fired & it just keeps running better & better. It is very accurate and soooo easy to control while shooting. I have shot a lot of 22's but the TX22 has been the easiest to shoot accurately. It's rivals my PPQ's trigger to the point where I might favor the Taurus's trigger. Mags are available from Taurus online for $22 each, so no breaking the bank there. (Ive already purchased two more) If your looking for a really fun 22 check one out.
Thanks. That really is a glowing report. Glad to hear it.

I've ordered one (see post #5 above). Hope to have it around the end of the week.
Old 04-02-2019, 10:11 PM
kevlars

TPC Rating: 
100% (11)
I love my TX22. I have not shot it a lot, but, enough to know that is is going to be one of my favorites...and, I have several 22 pistols. Very accurate, and, as mentioned above, a very nice trigger. I am very happy with my purchase.

Kevlars
Old 04-04-2019, 10:18 AM
JohnnyK

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I got my TX22 a few days ago - price was $303 plus Michigan 6% tax. Shot it for the first time yesterday. A mix of CCI 40 gr. solids, CCI 36 gr. H.P.'s, CCI Std. vel, Aguila 40 gr. solids and TAC22, 200 rounds ignited and launched with 100% functioning.

Many details to cover but will leave that to another post. One area I thought it was lacking in was accuracy and the fact that the rear sight can't be adjusted to point of aim. With the rear sight all the way down it still shoots 1" high at 10 yards and about 2.5-3" high at 25.

While cleaning it today I discovered the possible reason of the accuracy concern - The lands have mega (and I mean really bad!) chatter marks in them I mean it looks like a country dirt road that hasn't been grated in years. I'm gonna call Taurus and see if I can send just the barrel in and not the whole gun.

I D O love the trigger!! For a gun in this price range it's unmatched - my measurements were in the 5 1/4" to 5 1/2" range. The best part is the final break. It's like the proverbial glass rod... maybe not like a S&W model 41, but still great. Another "best part" is the trigger reset... very short.

I did have the S&W compact a few years ago.... worst gun accuracy wise I've ever owned . And I ballpark that number in the 350-375 range. Wish me luck on the barrel!
Old 04-08-2019, 06:17 PM
timberbeast

TPC Rating: 
100% (39)
I have just had my TX22 to one range session, 100 rounds of Munimags fed and fired and expected flawlessly.

Pistol is made of lightweight materials, but feels solid and points and shoots well. Really nice trigger. Grip is great, points well, sights are adjustable.

Not a CZ 75 Kadet, but at 1/3 the price and 16 round magazines, this is a great pistol.

Takedown and reassembly are super easy!

Mine also has chattering in the last 1/4” if barrel on the lands, I’m going to shoot it a bit more before deciding if Taurus needs to see it.

Last edited by timberbeast; 04-08-2019 at 06:19 PM.
Old 04-09-2019, 09:55 AM
wbwanzer

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by timberbeast View Post
Mine also has chattering in the last 1/4 if barrel on the lands, Im going to shoot it a bit more before deciding if Taurus needs to see it.
I'm not familiar with this term. What is chattering? I just looked in my barrel with light and to my untrained eye, nothing looked irregular. What am I looking for?

I'm planning to try mine out this afternoon.
Old 04-09-2019, 11:29 AM
timberbeast

TPC Rating: 
100% (39)
In the lands, there are lines perpendicular to the axis of the barrel. This is where the cutting tool vibrated and caused and uneven surface in the barrel.

If it happened in the mid point of the barrel, it might not affect accuracy at all. At the end of the barrel is the worst possible location.

The image below shows what I am seeing in my barrel. It occurs all the way around the bore, but only in the last 1/4" near the muzzle.

Old 04-09-2019, 12:33 PM
wbwanzer

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I see. Thank you. I'll have to take a closer look.
Old 07-21-2019, 09:32 AM
Bigborgel
US Air Force Veteran

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I have had both the TX 22 and the M&P 22c, found the grip on the Smith too small and narrow, reason I sold the Smith was because it would eject about 75% of the spent cases back into my face. Like the ergos and performance of the TX better, even thou I feel it's cheaply made. Smith has better build quality.