Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 01-28-2019, 06:39 PM
scootch

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Yonkers classic replacement butt pad

My Yonkers Classic butt pad has melted and smeared on the side of my stock some. It's been this way for years and sticks to the sides of my field case.

What mfg and model number have you all used to replace your melted butt pads?
I'm fine with a grind to fit butt pad if need be.

What would you use to remove the bit of back sticky residue on the side of the but stock?

Thanks,
Scootch
Old 01-28-2019, 06:56 PM
Camster

TPC Rating: 
99% (54)
I believe that a small size Pachmyer will work.
Old 01-29-2019, 11:16 PM
DES/TSD
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
To remove the residue, I have used a milk based Mineral Spirits. It works and is not hard on finishes. Move the residue to the rear of the stock... you do not wish the residue to move farther up the stock. I got mine at my local Do It Best hardware store.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-10-2019, 02:06 PM
Orefed

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I have the same problem with my Yonkers Kimber Hunter 22. I called Kimber but since this model is no longer in production they did not offer any help. For resale value I would like keep a Kimber replacement pad on it. I would like to hear how everything turns out for you before I start on mine.
Old 02-10-2019, 04:29 PM
Camster

TPC Rating: 
99% (54)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orefed View Post
I have the same problem with my Yonkers Kimber Hunter 22. I called Kimber but since this model is no longer in production they did not offer any help. For resale value I would like keep a Kimber replacement pad on it. I would like to hear how everything turns out for you before I start on mine.
If I were you, I would be inclined to want a Kimber pad as well.
However: It may not be available.
If available, it will probably be old stock,which will deteriorate more quickly than a fresh Pachmyer.
Pachmyer was the manufacturer in the first place,so the product is the same,aside from a logo.
I had a rubber pad go bad on a Cooper stocked Anschutz American..Bought a Pach,which was identical to what was on it. As I was starting to downsize I offered the gun as is,at a lesser price,for the buyer to deal with the pad installation issue. Myself, I would have sent the stock to my friend LeRoy at Canyon Creek to install.
Old 02-10-2019, 11:40 PM
Rick H.

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
You are pretty much out of luck for a Kimber replacement pad. Aftermarket will have to do for you, unless you find one NOS.

Rick H.
Old 02-11-2019, 01:57 AM
Phil in Alabama

TPC Rating: 
100% (7)
The OEM pad is just a leather texture face Pachmayr, some had a tiny "Kimber" marking in the little logo spot in the center, some did not. The OEM pad on my Hunter did not, just a blank space there. It was getting gummy and malformed too like others have posted, so I installed a new Pachmayr pad myself. Kept the original, as it could be put back if it became necessary for some reason. It is a pain in the butt to fit one (halfhearted pun there ) on an existing stock without damaging the stock finish. Someone with experience in gunstock work, auto and home painting and refinishing can do this, but for a person who has never done such work it would be a difficult job to accomplish. It is so much easier when doing a stock refinish to grind the new pad close to the shape and then sand wood and rubber together to get the seamless factory installed fitting appearance.
Old 02-11-2019, 08:39 AM
Rick H.

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
I agree with Phil, fitting a pad is a delicate job. I have done a few of my own using a couple of pad grinding fixtures and it isn't a job for the faint of heart. I am sure guys that do this work on a regular basis get very good at fitting a pad without it being on the rifle but it's very detailed work. I think if I had a better and bigger belt sander it would be easier, but I can't see buying a 6 inch belt grinder only for this kind of work. A disc sander doesn't work as well as a belt sander. In my case the only pads I have installed were types that screwed on which allowed me to use the grinding fixture which I think is somewhat easier also. No real chance of making a mistake on the stock itself.

Rick H.
Old 03-24-2019, 05:56 PM
staff3704
US Air Force Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I have the same problem (melted pad). It didn't get on my stock but now I need it replaced and I don't have the tools to do it. Also I have another problem the pad was glued on. I know because I cut the old pad off to be sure since it melted and was sticking to everything it touched. I need to get the old pad (and metal insert) off the stock. Does anyone know the best way? This is a Yonkers 22 Hunter.
Old 03-24-2019, 07:15 PM
'ol shooter
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
100% (124)
Take it to a reputable gunsmith and let them do a grind to fit installation, the relatively modest expense is worth the results if done correctly.
Old 03-25-2019, 10:39 AM
Rick H.

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 'ol shooter View Post
Take it to a reputable gunsmith and let them do a grind to fit installation, the relatively modest expense is worth the results if done correctly.

Agree with 'ol shooter: If you don't have the tools for this job don't even think of doing it yourself. This is one area where Kimber really dropped the ball as far as I am concerned. First off no recoil pad should simply melt down to sticky goo unless it is stored at a nuclear waste site. Even so, it is an absolute shame that Kimber doesn't offer replacement butt pads for these rifles. They were the ones that chose this design and should be held accountable for it by offering replacements. Worst of all who EVER thought installing a glued on recoil pad was a good idea? What were they thinking other than money? In my estimation if I ever have to replace another pad on a Kimber with a glued on pad I will do so by installing a screwed on pad like it should have been to start with. I personally store my Kimbers muzzle down so there is no weight on the pad. I think this helps stave off the inevitable pad destruction, but I also think over time the glue that was used to hold these pads in place is responsible for the rubber destruction.

Rick H.