Victor ML went full auto - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 01-03-2019, 01:07 PM
Beecherkid
US Marines Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Victor ML went full auto

My Victor had always performed well until today. I had about 30 rounds through the clean gun when magazine "A" started to feed poorly. About the 4th and 5th round would jam into the rib above the chamber. I would flick them out with my finger, chamber a new round, and when I would pull the trigger to fire the gun would fire full auto. This only happened with magazine "A". I could repeat this several times.

Has this ever happened to anyone else? I'm going to strip the gun and magazine down and inspect but unsure of what to look for.

Added info: The night before I was adjusting the sear adjustment screw to lighten the trigger pull. Maybe I just got it to light?

Last edited by Beecherkid; 01-03-2019 at 01:57 PM.
Old 01-03-2019, 01:55 PM
Joppa

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
You lucky dog you.
Old 01-03-2019, 02:27 PM
Beecherkid

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joppa View Post
You lucky dog you.
That was of no help what-so-ever.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-03-2019, 03:10 PM
HSWayne
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Trigger

The trigger pull weight should be adjusted to 2 to 2.25 pounds. If it does not work properly after the adjustment is made, then you should examine the sear and trigger engagement surfaces for dirt, wear, or a broken edge.
Old 01-03-2019, 03:31 PM
moonjohn
US Air Force Veteran

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
“5th round would jam into the rib above the chamber.”

Are you saying the round fed high and did not enter the chamber?

The first thing I would do when having a miss-feed is to test the operation of the magazine.
Perform the “Jump Test” and “Push Test”.
…....................
Concerning the uncontrolled firing:

I would suggest that you check the trigger pull first.
If you do not have a trigger scale, consider the following:

A 50 round box of 40 gram long rifle cartridges weigh about .41 pounds.
5 boxes weighs about 2 pounds.
You can get about any weight you desire by playing with how many boxes/partial boxes you use.

Put a loop of fishing line through the trigger guard.

Attach the loop of fishing line to a plastic grocery bag.
With one end of the loop attached to the bag and the other end of the loop around the trigger, the gun being pointed up, add boxes of cartridges until the firing pin trips.
Of course, you do not have live ammo in the gun.
Old 01-03-2019, 04:47 PM
Beecherkid

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by HSWayne View Post
The trigger pull weight should be adjusted to 2 to 2.25 pounds. If it does not work properly after the adjustment is made, then you should examine the sear and trigger engagement surfaces for dirt, wear, or a broken edge.
Thanks for the comments.

The trigger pull weight was well below the specified range for adjustment. I made the false assumption that with the screw even with the frame would give the lowest allowable pull weight and be within range. I measured the pull weight of 1.25 pounds upon inspection after the failure. I since readjusted the pull weight to 2 lbs.

Good advice for me is: Keep your fingers off things that work.
Old 01-03-2019, 05:51 PM
STEEL SHOOTER
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
Red face assumptions

I always try to remember the old adage "what happens when you assume anything?"
Old 01-03-2019, 07:36 PM
WRF

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beecherkid View Post
Thanks for the comments.

The trigger pull weight was well below the specified range for adjustment. I made the false assumption that with the screw even with the frame would give the lowest allowable pull weight and be within range. I measured the pull weight of 1.25 pounds upon inspection after the failure. I since readjusted the pull weight to 2 lbs.

Good advice for me is: Keep your fingers off things that work.
I may not be connecting all the dots here but your gun should never go full auto regardless of the trigger adjustment screw. Somebody has probably been in the gun and buggered up some critical surfaces. I say this since I've never seen a real HS act this way without help. While here let me say few people know how to accurately weigh a trigger. You can lose everything from a pound or more to a few oz's very easily by weighing wrong.

On this subject I have a clean Mdl 107 Olympic that shoots full auto and very well. It was a trade in when I was running my shop. As a long time Bullseye competitor I've actually shot this gun on the Gallery Course several times Slow, Timed & Rapid and had some amazing scores. It's one of those things that when you settle in on the count, and it feels right, then you let off a full auto mag of 22 shorts. It happens so fast without almost no recoil climb and you look thru your scope and it's tens. It's fun but it's not playing by the rules. The trigger must break by the rules so slutty sears are out.
Old 01-03-2019, 07:44 PM
Beecherkid

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
O.K. This never happened.

If it ever happens again, I will never say anything, and ship it to Texas for repair.

Thank You
Old 01-04-2019, 02:29 AM
kisssofdeath
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I wish mine would go full auto...when I wanted it to.
Old 01-04-2019, 07:35 AM
LDBennett

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Of course this never happened and this post was a spoof.

If it did happen then the BATF might be at your door and take you away. Just admitting it happened would certainly key them on even though it might have been due to a gun part failure or mis-adjustment. They love to prosecute for anything close to full auto.

It was good for a laugh!

LDBennett
Old 01-04-2019, 08:46 AM
Alan Aronstein

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Victor Problem in Theory

I am NOT a lawyer BUT, I have heard that : 1) the act has to be willful 2) the BATF has to have the pistol in custody(or possession ??) for testing or 3) observe the act. Generally a malfunction that was NOT planned is NOT considered a violation. The rules could have changed as I have not looked this up in the law for years. The pistol that is the myth of this story should be checked over by a Competent Gunsmith !!! - Alan Aronstein
Old 01-04-2019, 09:00 AM
Alan Aronstein

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Malfunctions

Over the past 25+ years, I have seen HS pistols that malfunction in a way to violate the NFA of 1934. Specifically, fire more than (1) shot with the single pull of the trigger !!! This has occurred due to: 1) broken Parts 2)worn out springs 3) worn out pins and 4) worn out parts. These items would be a REAL Stretch to prove or even to open an investigation by the Gov't. Home gunsmithing other than changing springs or minor parts COULD considered willful( like filing on the sear or hammer or disconnector). These are ONLY my observations.- Alan Aronstein
Old 01-04-2019, 09:15 AM
LDBennett

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I have read reports where the BATF prosecuted individuals when they were able to make a gun go full auto with manipulations that were not part of normal operations. Now, maybe it did not stand up in court but can you imagine what it costs in lawyer fees to keep from going to jail? It could wipe you out financially. It most certainly would me.

It makes no sense to admit any gun ever went fully automatic, here or anywhere else. Here, it is admission of guilt that could be used against you. The BATF likes to prosecute honest law abiding citizen because they can easily find them because they are imbedded in society with homes, bank accounts, and jobs.

It only makes sense to just fix the gun and not admit anything. Why risk BATF prosecution or attempted prosecution. Any gun that fails to capture the hammer on recoil NEEDS to be totally inspected by a qualified gunsmith, both from a legal aspect and from a safety aspect. Can you imagine hanging on to a gun running full auto unexpectedly and about to empty an entire magazine?

Unless you are trained in trigger systems, you should NOT be fooling with any part of a guns ignition system.

LDBennett
Old 01-04-2019, 09:56 AM
Mike3838
Emergency Medical Technician NRA Member - Click Here To Join! Appleseed Rifleman

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
BATFE agents are not the "Boogie Man". They are human beings just like you and me. If you have a gun go full auto (no tampering with the internal workings) and you stop using it immediately, you will not get prosecuted. Keep shooting it, knowing full well it will go full auto again, then yes, the BATFE can step in. I had a .22 pistol that "doubled". Happened twice so I put the gun away until it could be repaired. I'd tell this story in front of a BATFE agent. They wouldn't do a thing.