Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 09-09-2018, 05:42 PM
WoodsWalker

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
rossi rs.22 rimfire.

i'm thinking of acquiring a rossi .22rf semi-auto as a backyard gun for the garden, etc.

what's y'alls thoughts on it so far? does it work pretty good, and what about it's accuracy. the price seems ok.
Old 09-10-2018, 09:56 AM
Sparks1954
US Air Force Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
Are you referring to the Winchester 63 clone? If so go for it, I had a stainless model that I gave away, missed it so I bought a replacement. Not the same quality as my real Winchester 63 but works well just the same.
Old 09-10-2018, 06:25 PM
56S

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
similar to a 702 Plinkster I believe

Neighbor picked up one. I should see it up at the range this week. Local Rural King had them for $129. I did some reading and found out these were very similar to the Mossberg 702 Plinkster with a different stock and possibly sights? Can't remember for sure but little was available on the web about real precision.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-10-2018, 07:32 PM

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Rossi has made some very good clones. My favorite is my 62SA with octagon barrel!
Old 09-11-2018, 06:24 PM
56S

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
So far not impressed. Trigger, even after some work was like a 2 stage with the second still having some gritty creep. I did like the stock but we couldn't find any ammo in our collection that would shoot better than 1.5" at 50 yards. There are a few features worth mentioning. Last shot hold open and the ability to push the bolt handle in to hold the bolt back. When the last shot is fired, removing the mag allows the bolt to close. The follower fouls the bolt after the last shot is fired. The mag release lever has one heck of a strong spring. I'd change that. I still may buy one in hopes the barrel itself isn't the reason the precision is poor.
Old 10-30-2018, 04:55 PM
toomanyguns
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 56S View Post
So far not impressed. Trigger, even after some work was like a 2 stage with the second still having some gritty creep. I did like the stock but we couldn't find any ammo in our collection that would shoot better than 1.5" at 50 yards. There are a few features worth mentioning. Last shot hold open and the ability to push the bolt handle in to hold the bolt back. When the last shot is fired, removing the mag allows the bolt to close. The follower fouls the bolt after the last shot is fired. The mag release lever has one heck of a strong spring. I'd change that. I still may buy one in hopes the barrel itself isn't the reason the precision is poor.
The mag release spring needs to be strong to hold the mag firmly. A weak spring will cause failures-to-feed.
Old 01-28-2019, 10:15 PM
osbornk

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I bought a RS22 today at Rural King for $119.99. It is accurate for me and shoots flawlessly. It's very light and I think it is probably one of the best cheap rifles available anywhere. Picky people will complain but normal folks will find it is fine.
Old 02-08-2019, 02:32 PM
Rumpboogie

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I just ordered one yesterday. Tons of stellar YouTube reviews out there, they can't be predominantly wrong. I got mine for $132.00 including $25.00 shipping. For that money one cannot expect a match-grade trigger, etc. and I don't, and am not concerned about that. What I am seeing on YouTube says the RS22 is every bit as accurate and reliable as a Ruger 10/22, and for my money it has far better stock sights on it. I am excited and can't wait to get my hands on it!

Later. Well, I got it and I LOVE it!
Please see this thread:
https://www.rimfirecentral.com/forum....php?t=1150877

Last edited by Rumpboogie; 03-05-2019 at 02:54 PM.
Old 02-09-2019, 05:26 PM
Ferox34
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
check here on RFC

Member Tom in MO has done lots of testing with the Mossberg Plinkster 702 and the Rossi RS22. Basically the same gun made by CBC in Brazil, only cosmetic differences. I have a 702, but wish I had a Rossi, like the stock design better.

Check the Plinkster 702 posts for good info on these rifles. They are excellent shooters right from the box. Probably the best "cheap" 22 out there right now.
Old 02-09-2019, 06:53 PM
Rumpboogie

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I am looking for a good set of high-mount see-through scope rings to fit my RS22. They must be see-through so I can still use the iron sights. Any help out there?
Old 02-10-2019, 11:47 AM
Rumpboogie

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
FOUND!
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
These will do nicely. I am mounting a 3-9 40mm scope.
https://www.amazon.com/Edenberg-Supe...mm+scope&psc=1
Already have the scope. It is a very nice scope for the $ and I highly recommend it.
Old 02-10-2019, 05:04 PM
US Army Veteran

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferox34 View Post
Member Tom in MO has done lots of testing with the Mossberg Plinkster 702 and the Rossi RS22. Basically the same gun made by CBC in Brazil, only cosmetic differences. I have a 702, but wish I had a Rossi, like the stock design better.

Check the Plinkster 702 posts for good info on these rifles. They are excellent shooters right from the box. Probably the best "cheap" 22 out there right now.
You can knock a pound off the RS22 trigger pull by ordering the MCarbo trigger spring for the 702. Get rid of the gritty pull by polishing all the moving parts, even including the inside of the housing, and the outside of the trigger bar.

For even better accuracy, get the Rossi RB22 or Mossberg 802 Plinkster bolt-action guns. The trigger group is far easier to work on with the RB22/802 design BTW. My five groups, five shots per group average for the RB with AR Tac is 0.34" @25 yards. The RS22/702 is about 0.40", same ammo and distance.

Feed it CCI AR Tac. All three of these guns love it. CCI SV is pretty good too, as well as Fiocchi HV and Subsonic. A ten-shot group of Fiocchi HV had seven shots in 0.25" @25 yards.

Last edited by Tom_in_MO; 02-10-2019 at 05:27 PM.
Old 02-10-2019, 05:21 PM
US Army Veteran

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparks1954 View Post
Are you referring to the Winchester 63 clone? If so go for it, I had a stainless model that I gave away, missed it so I bought a replacement. Not the same quality as my real Winchester 63 but works well just the same.
No it is not a Winchester 63 clone. Looks more Marlinish to me.
Old 02-10-2019, 05:34 PM
US Army Veteran

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 56S View Post
So far not impressed.
1. Trigger, even after some work was like a 2 stage with the second still having some gritty creep.

2. I did like the stock but we couldn't find any ammo in our collection that would shoot better than 1.5" at 50 yards.

There are a few features worth mentioning. Last shot hold open and the ability to push the bolt handle in to hold the bolt back. When the last shot is fired, removing the mag allows the bolt to close. The follower fouls the bolt after the last shot is fired. The mag release lever has one heck of a strong spring. I'd change that. I still may buy one in hopes the barrel itself isn't the reason the precision is poor.
1. I do trigger work on every gun I own. You can't expect a high-end trigger on such an inexpensive gun; but it can be made better. It's worth the effort. My 702 is 3.5# but is predictable, and IMO is not much of a negative factor in accuracy. And bear in mind that it's a daily driver, not a limo.

2. See my ammo recommendations in post #12. No idea what you have tried, but I am amazed at the people trying out bulk-box ammo or other cheap stuff and expecting great results. Once in a while with a specific gun you can get lucky, but generally you get plinking accuracy, not small-group accuracy, with that stuff.

Last edited by Tom_in_MO; 02-10-2019 at 05:42 PM.
Old 04-03-2019, 12:44 PM
gunsisme
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
100% (6)
I have the Rossi 62SA . Mine has the round barrel, I wish it was octagon. I think they are really nice rifles