Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 12-26-2019, 08:53 PM
kjk200
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Burris Signature Zee rings on a 77/22?

I have an old wood stocked 77/22 that I want to attach a big 30mm tube scope to so I can test the rifle and some ammo at the range. The scope already has the 30MM Burris Zee rings (with the offset inserts) installed on it.

What is the least expensive way to use this scope and these rings on the 77/22?

I don't want to spend alot of money because I have never been impressed with the accuracy of this rifle. I am going to give it a hell of a cleaning in and out mount this scope and try all kids of ammo. If it doesn't impress me soon, it might be heading down the highway so I can pick up a Tikka T1x or maybe a CZ.

What are my options, as I am not finding many! Thanks!
Old 12-27-2019, 10:13 PM
45flattop
US Army Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Send a message via Yahoo to 45flattop
The Burris rings should work for what you want.

I would think but then so would 30MM Rugers. I don't have similar
results to yours with my M77/22R at all, it is a tighter shooter than
my CZ452 and that is saying something. I have had trigger work
done on the Ruger and that almost has to account for some of that.
Mine dates from the middle 1990s era, walnut stock, blue hardware
and no iron sights.

Though I don't know why, my 77/22 is not one with a threaded
barrel so theoretically I would think, it shouldn't be as accurate as
a later model with a threaded barrel but it shoots one ragged hole
at 50 yards as it is so I won't cheat fate and tamper with it.

Last edited by 45flattop; 12-27-2019 at 10:18 PM.
Old 12-27-2019, 10:23 PM
comfisherman

TPC Rating: 
100% (6)
Send a message via AIM to comfisherman
burris ruger adapters are about the cheapest of the adapters, in the vicinity of 30$. The weigand mount is better fit and cleaner but makes everyting way to tall, and is 50$
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-30-2019, 09:28 PM
kjk200

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Anyone know if this might fit the 77/22?
https://www.amazon.com/NcSTAR-Ruger-...7707505&sr=8-1

https://www.ncstar.com/optics-acc/mo...-14-30wvrblkv2
Based on the given length, it looks like it would be close!

I know it says it just fits the Mini 14, Mini 30, and the PC Carbines, but I read in one of the listings somewhere that it fits others as well.

I sure hope it does, because this is EXACTLY what I need!

Last edited by kjk200; 12-30-2019 at 09:31 PM.
Old 01-13-2020, 09:53 PM
kjk200

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by kjk200 View Post
Anyone know if this might fit the 77/22?
https://www.amazon.com/NcSTAR-Ruger-...7707505&sr=8-1
https://www.ncstar.com/optics-acc/mo...-14-30wvrblkv2
Based on the given length, it looks like it would be close!

I know it says it just fits the Mini 14, Mini 30, and the PC Carbines, but I read in one of the listings somewhere that it fits others as well.
I sure hope it does, because this is EXACTLY what I need!
FOLLOWUP: These do not fit the 77/22. The 2 screws at the one end do not line up with the indents in the 77/22 action BUT it is about halfway between the two existing screw holes on the flat part. SO, I got some longer m4-.7 screws to thread into the other side to provide some additional support and then drilled and tapped a m4-.7 hole on each side. It is on the rifle...It is not as pretty as the Weigand mount, but it will work for now!

https://www.jackweigand.com/7722s.html
Old 01-14-2020, 02:10 PM
Lloyd S.
National Guard Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (13)
Assuming your 77/22 doesn't require Ruger's proprietary rings, and the receiver is grooved for standard American 3/8" rings, then the Delrin (I think) bases made by J&P should work fine. I think they cost a bit over $20,

https://www.jnpgunsprings.com/
Old 01-14-2020, 03:28 PM
US Army Veteran Law Enforcement Officer NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
The 77/22 does require the proprietary Ruger rings. Burris does offer an adapter to allow you to use the Signature Zee rings.

https://www.burrisoptics.com/mountin...r-base-adaptor
Old 01-14-2020, 08:53 PM
kjk200

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lloyd S. View Post
Assuming your 77/22 doesn't require Ruger's proprietary rings, and the receiver is grooved for standard American 3/8" rings, then the Delrin (I think) bases made by J&P should work fine. I think they cost a bit over $20,

https://www.jnpgunsprings.com/
I have seen those and I really want to get a set for my Anschutz rifle, but the Ruger has its own mounting system. I did email them just yesterday asking if they have could or will ever make them for the Ruger but I have not heard anything yet.
Old 01-14-2020, 08:59 PM
kjk200

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loke View Post
The 77/22 does require the proprietary Ruger rings. Burris does offer an adapter to allow you to use the Signature Zee rings.

https://www.burrisoptics.com/mountin...r-base-adaptor
I have seen those too and those are an option but I read alot of reviews that said they didn't work for them. I assume that they ordered the wrong ones, are using then incorrectly or are not using the right rings.

If my testing shows that the rifle does indeed shoot well enough then that will probably be the way i finish the rifle because I KNOW that I want to use the Burris 30mm Signature Zee rings when I am done.
Old 01-15-2020, 01:06 AM
22banger

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Try these folks

https://triggershims.com/

Shim your bolt and install the Volquartsen trigger sear and I'll bet you see a great improvement. Worked for me, good luck with your project.
Old 01-16-2020, 05:36 AM
kjk200

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 22banger View Post
https://triggershims.com/

Shim your bolt and install the Volquartsen trigger sear and I'll bet you see a great improvement. Worked for me, good luck with your project.
Thanks!

I ordered them new years day and installed the .005" shim last week but have not been able to shoot it yet...and It already has an aftermarket trigger in it that was installed years ago. The trigger is probably about 2 pounds now.

The .005 shim offered some resistance when closing the bolt and the .004 shim offered none...which should I use
Old 01-16-2020, 11:54 AM
22banger

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
This is recommended

Start with the thinnest shim, (.002") and install, then check to see how your bolt closes.
As long as it continues to close normally, continue to add shims .001" at a time, stacking as necessary.
(Example = .003", .004", .005", Stack .002"+.004"=.006" .003"+.004"=.007" etc.)
When you have installed enough shims that the bolt just begins to be hard to close,
remove .001" so it closes normally or just (ever-so) slightly tighter than normal.
If you have to force or put undue stress on your bolt to close it, you should reduce the number of shims.
The Bolt Play between the Bolt Halves was designed into the assembly by Mr. Ruger
We are only concerned with the Bolt-Breech lock-up fit, and there you can have anywhere from
<.001" ( perfect) to >.005"+ which will definitely affect accuracy."
A minimum of clearance should be maintained, do not put undue stress on bolt
by shimming under .001" as it is unnecessary!

Sounds like .oo4 in yours is good.
Old 01-16-2020, 12:11 PM
jkingrph
US Air Force Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Never had the need to try them on any of my Ruger's, but I do have some on a "custom" Mexican Mauser sporter I picked up at a gun show about a year ago. It had a full length pictnanny rail which I did not care for so put some two piece bases on and quickly discovered my Leupold scope did not have enough adjustment to bore sight. I then learned that whoever drilled and tapped did not the the holes for scope bases aligned. My local gunsmith played with the bases and milled enough metal off the bottom side of one base so it aligned better, but not perfect so I then got a set of the Burris Zee rings with the inserts and ordered some of the eccentric inserts and then started playing. First I centered the scope reticule then payed with some different ring combinations. It took a little while but I actually bore sighted, using a lazer bore sighter by just adjusting the ring insert position. You can rotate the inserts in the rings to get infinitely variable positions. I got it to the point tha when I first fired on a target at 25 yards I only missed the point of aim by about 1/2", so getting a 100 yard zero was a snap. The only downside is that adjustments are strickly trial and error. Inserts are listed as 0.005, 0.01, and 0.02 , which if only one is used will move poi 5, 10 or 20 inches at 100 yards. You could use two of the 0.02 inserts, on in front ring say on bottom and on in rear ring on top, and move point of impact 40 inches down or use any combination of the inserts.
Old 01-16-2020, 10:27 PM
kjk200

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkingrph View Post
getting a 100 yard zero was a snap. The only downside is that adjustments are strickly trial and error.
I know what you mean...I use these on almost all my rifle if for no other reason than to not scratch the scope. I JUST LOVE THE SIGNATURE RINGS but they can be a pain to get right at first.