Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 04-08-2018, 12:00 PM
prickett

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Broken firing pin

Today at the range I experienced a 50% failure to fire from my 15-22. When I got home I disassembled the bolt carrier group and found the firing pin was broken. I figured I'd order a few replacements from the 'net. I found no sources for replacements. Is going through Smith the ONLY source of replacements?
Old 04-08-2018, 02:19 PM
CJT50
Law Enforcement Officer NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
At the moment S&W is your only source for firing pins.

Im hoping one of the rimfire parts folks, (Volquartsen, Tandem Cross, etc..) will start making an improved one.
Old 04-08-2018, 04:15 PM
dingode
US Air Force Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join! Appleseed Rifleman

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
I saw a post on a forum in the last couple of weeks from a guy beta testing a firing pin from TK. So hopefully, they'll be releasing it soon. Shoot them an Email, maybe if enough people request it they'll move it up the ladder in the R&D dept.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-08-2018, 05:35 PM
prickett

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by dingode View Post
I saw a post on a forum in the last couple of weeks from a guy beta testing a firing pin from TK. So hopefully, they'll be releasing it soon. Shoot them an Email, maybe if enough people request it they'll move it up the ladder in the R&D dept.
Is this the TK you are referring to: https://www.tkfirearmstulare.com/
Old 04-08-2018, 05:36 PM
prickett

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by CJT50 View Post
At the moment S&W is your only source for firing pins.

Im hoping one of the rimfire parts folks, (Volquartsen, Tandem Cross, etc..) will start making an improved one.
Yeah, I was stunned by the sheer lack of aftermarket parts for the 15-22. Its a great rifle and there are a bunch out there. Seems like someone should be seeing dollar signs.
Old 04-09-2018, 04:01 AM
CJT50

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by prickett View Post
Is this the TK you are referring to: https://www.tkfirearmstulare.com/

He is referring to this Tandem Kross, I spelled it wrong;

https://www.tandemkross.com/
Old 04-09-2018, 04:07 AM
CJT50

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by dingode View Post
Excellent!!!

Just availability would make me happy. I shoot 15-22's a lot, get an average of 15-18k on each pin and broke 5 last year.

I send 'em an email every quarter just to let them know I'm still interested.
Old 04-12-2018, 11:34 PM
kp321
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I finally got the right person in the parts department at Smith and ordered ten firing pins. Previously, I was told they were factory or authorized service center replacement items only. I too wish TK or Volquartsen would produce replacements although the originals seem to last 15k rounds which is not too bad.
Volquartsen does make replacement extractors although I have never needed to replace one.
Old 04-14-2018, 08:51 PM
GreggK

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
If it's an older rifle with a Ti firing pin it will have to go back to S&W to get a new bolt as well since there are no replacement Ti firing pins and the new steel pins won't work in the old bolts. Just check your firing pin and if it is steel and not Ti the replacement pin from S&W will work fine.
Old 04-15-2018, 01:31 PM
CJT50

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreggK View Post
If it's an older rifle with a Ti firing pin it will have to go back to S&W to get a new bolt as well since there are no replacement Ti firing pins and the new steel pins won't work in the old bolts. Just check your firing pin and if it is steel and not Ti the replacement pin from S&W will work fine.
Found that out the hard way.

Was able to finally able to pry a firing pin outta customer service only to run into the problem you noted above. Had to send rifle in anyway......

That rifle was a 2009, the other 4 I have are post that and I didn't run into the mentioned problem with those.
Old 05-22-2019, 06:33 PM

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
I'm resurrecting this old thread.

There is an US made, aftermarket firing pin available for the 15-22 in stainless steel
https://www.firingpins.com/m-p-15-22...eel-firing-pin

or in titanium.
https://www.firingpins.com/m-p-15-22...ium-firing-pin

I've ordered one of each and will report back sometime in the next couple of months if I'm lucky enough to find time to try them out.

Nolan
Old 05-22-2019, 08:28 PM
GreggK

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nolan View Post
I'm resurrecting this old thread.

There is an US made, aftermarket firing pin available for the 15-22 in stainless steel
https://www.firingpins.com/m-p-15-22...eel-firing-pin

or in titanium.
https://www.firingpins.com/m-p-15-22...ium-firing-pin

I've ordered one of each and will report back sometime in the next couple of months if I'm lucky enough to find time to try them out.

Nolan
Nolan
Already did that. You will want to use the stainless pin since it hits a little harder. The old old S&W pin was Ti but it was not an inertia type firing pin, it was direct contact so that when the hammer was resting on the head of the pin the tip of the pin was contacting the cartridge so the pin did not need any weight to overcome the spring so Ti was fine. The new style pins and bolts are an inertia type pin so the hammer smacks the pin, the pin moves forward and the hammer stops on the back of the bolt, from there the firing pin leaves the face of the hammer and must overcome the spring and strike the cartridge all with the inertia energy and no further help from the hammer. You need some weight to do this properly.

The stainless pin gives deeper strikes. The way the old style worked the Ti was fine but not so much in the new style.
Old 10-29-2019, 08:14 PM
bgdv1
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Just removed the TandemKross from my 15/22. Out of 10 rounds I kept having 3-4 not fire. Put the stock pin back in and no issues at all. Double checked to make sure the firing pin spring was on correctly and it was. So I guess that "upgrading" a part that isnt broken wasnt a good idea.
Old 10-30-2019, 04:40 PM

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
I bought one of the Titanium firing pins I posted earlier. It works OK with the Hiperfire 24C trigger I have in one of my 15-22's. I don't have one of the TandemKross firing pins, but I suspect it would work with the Hiperfire trigger because the Hiperfire triggers have 'booster' springs for the hammer and deliver a very strong hammer blow.

The Stainless firing pin I bought from the same source works very well with the Jard triggers I have in my other 15-22's.

Nolan