Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 10-15-2017, 09:09 PM
Mac Attack
Appleseed Rifleman

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
Colt Woodsman Match Target will not lock back

I won this series 3 Colt Woodsman Match Target up from Gunbroker a couple of weeks back for $550 and finally had a chance to take it to the range for some trigger time. It shot well and but not as well as my S&W model 41. The trigger is pretty heavy compared to my model 41 and the grip feels very narrow as well. Its not perfect and has some blemishes but I have always wanted a MT and am happy with it especially given the price.

The only problem is that it will not lock back on the last round with 3 different types of ammunition I tried - CCI SV, Aguila SE SV and Blaser HV. I tried shooting it with the 2 Colt magazines it came with and also with 5 Colt magazines that have been reliable in my Colt Huntsman and none of them would lock the slide back. The slide will lock back when I manually retract the slide on an empty magazine but not after lock back after the last round is fired. The slide notch is not perfect but it does not look rounded at all but I could be wrong. Any suggestions?

(This Image is Too Large to Be Displayed Within the Post. Click Link to View) (1445 kB)
(This Image is Too Large to Be Displayed Within the Post. Click Link to View) (1014 kB)
(This Image is Too Large to Be Displayed Within the Post. Click Link to View) (1059 kB)
(This Image is Too Large to Be Displayed Within the Post. Click Link to View) (871 kB)

Last edited by Mac Attack; 10-15-2017 at 09:25 PM.
Old 10-16-2017, 07:17 AM
Nicioli

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
It seems someone tampered with the slide stop notch.I checked mine, not very far from yours, must be 1956 or so, and the notch cut is almost totally vertical, 6 O´clock position.Yours seems to be around 4 O´clock and the slide stop lever is sliding on it.
Just my .02 cents.
Regards. Nicioli
Old 10-16-2017, 11:50 AM
coltlog

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Slide Lock

You got some pretty good advice on exactly the same topic from your earlier post. Did you check out those recommendations, or simply choose to ignore them.

Last edited by coltlog; 10-17-2017 at 12:45 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-20-2017, 09:46 AM
Mac Attack
Appleseed Rifleman

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
Coltlog - I am sorry if did not state my problem correctly. I did follow the advice that was given in my WTB thread and cleaned my magazines and soaked my MT in kerosene. It looked clean on the outside but boy was it filthy inside.

When I detail stripped it I did not notice that the slide stop notch was rounded off until after I took it apart a second time to see if the slide stop was damaged or not connected correctly. What I should have stated in my original post was if there was a way to repair the slide stop notch.
and
Old 10-20-2017, 10:19 AM
skywag
US Air Force Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Maybe something here will be a fix.

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_fro...slide&_sacat=0
Old 10-21-2017, 12:00 AM
JudgeColt
US Army Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac Attack View Post
What I should have stated in my original post was if there was a way to repair the slide stop notch.
I have used a smooth punch of sufficient diameter to peen the displaced metal back where it belongs. If done very carefully, it is almost undetectable. If not perfect, it is not perfect now so that should not matter much. Doing that "work-hardens" the notch so it will be less likely to displace again.
Old 10-23-2017, 07:08 PM
prewoodsman

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I stated in the previous thread that there is a fix for your Slide Stop failure issue.
With no offense meant, it does not include peening metal back into place which in time will surely fail yet again.
Old 10-27-2017, 11:08 PM
JudgeColt
US Army Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Whether you employ prewoodsman's fix or not (which you should), I would want to restore the notch by peening the metal back into place so as to improve the appearance. And peening DOES work-harden the notch so it takes many more lock-backs to peen the notch much again, if it will even do so in your lifetime.