First good air rifle... WOW! - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 02-03-2017, 05:46 PM
desmobob
US Navy Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
First good air rifle... WOW!

After purchasing a Daisy AVANTI 747 Triumph Match air pistol to help build my pistol shooting skills between trips to the range with the powder-burners, I decided to try an air rifle as well.

After much reading and research and much fretting about the money involved, I ordered an Air Arms TX200 (with the walnut stock upgrade) from Precision Airguns & Supplies (great folks, by the way).

I have to say I am truly impressed with this rifle. It is as nice as any centerfire rifle I own and it lives up to its reputation for fit/finish and accuracy. For sighting, I picked a mid-line Hawke Vantage 4-12 x 50 AO MilDot illuminated reticle scope. I was a bit nervous about it as I have purchased some lower-priced scopes in the past that ended up being a waste of money. This one is an exception and I'm very happy with it. If there is any regret, it's with not coughing up a little more money for a side focus version instead of the front focus.

The only other air rifles I've ever had were a couple of Daisy BB-guns and a cheap, Chinese break-barrel that I picked up on a whim at one of those cheap tool sales at the local firehouse. In automotive terms, those are Yugos while the TX200 is a Ferrari. Or maybe I should say Jaguar, as it's a British product....

If I had been able to see one of these rifles in person, I don't think I would have waited so long or worried so much about spending the money. I'm sure that airguns will be a growing part of my love (read: addiction) for the shooting sports.

Tight groups,
Bob
Old 02-03-2017, 05:51 PM
sicumj
Law Enforcement Officer NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Best air rifle I own is an Air Arms, you bought a good one. I have that same scope on my CZ 452 and am pleased. Nice scope for the money. Airguns are addicting good luck with your habit.
Old 02-03-2017, 05:59 PM
catbird
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (10)
Great choice! You are right, those Brits (and the Krauts and the Slavs) are serious airgun makers. Not sure which caliber you got or what your primary use is, but if you do any pesting try the H&N Baracuda Hunter pellets. Those things really deliver a smackdown!
Advertisement

Old 02-03-2017, 06:35 PM
desmobob

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by sicumj View Post
Best air rifle I own is an Air Arms, you bought a good one. I have that same scope on my CZ 452 and am pleased. Nice scope for the money. Airguns are addicting good luck with your habit.
Thanks. I would definitely consider buying another Hawke scope for one of my rimfire rifles. It seems like a lot of bang for the buck.

Quote:
Originally Posted by catbird View Post
Great choice! You are right, those Brits (and the Krauts and the Slavs) are serious airgun makers. Not sure which caliber you got or what your primary use is, but if you do any pesting try the H&N Baracuda Hunter pellets. Those things really deliver a smackdown!
I chose the .177 for paper-punching and field targets. I have a feeling there will be a .22 airgun in my future at some point...

Tight groups,
Bob
Old 02-03-2017, 06:36 PM
pipestone
US Marines Veteran

TPC Rating: 
100% (20)
Quote:
Originally Posted by catbird View Post
Great choice! You are right, those Brits (and the Krauts and the Slavs) are serious airgun makers.

You'll love it Bob

I got one of the same breed..superb!
Old 02-03-2017, 08:48 PM
supersharp

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Precision airguns are great alot of fun and can certainly help you hone your skills .I have a Daystate Airwolf and it is one of the most well built accurate rifles I own. I can put ten 22 caliber pellets in a dime size hole at 50 yards. I like the JSB Match Jumbo Heavy Diablos they seem to work best for me but I mainly a target shooter
Old 02-04-2017, 02:11 PM
scottycoyote

TPC Rating: 
100% (6)
yeah like someone said, those guns are addictive, especially when you get into the pcp's.....of course then you have to have an air source and all that goes with it.....ive spent or thought about spending more in air rifles than ive ever spent on a powder burner lol
Old 02-20-2017, 05:17 PM
aom22
US Air Force Disabled American Veteran Law Enforcement Officer NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Airmax Series: Airgun Rated

Quote:
Originally Posted by desmobob View Post
For sighting, I picked a mid-line Hawke Vantage 4-12 x 50 AO MilDot illuminated reticle scope.
I was a bit nervous about it as I have purchased some lower-priced scopes in the past that ended up being a waste of money.
This one is an exception and I'm very happy with it.
If there is any regret, it's with not coughing up a little more money for a side focus version instead of the front focus.
Bob, I hope you realize the Hawke Optics Vantage is not airgun rated.
Airgun rated ... meaning .... springer rated.
Only the Airmax Range is the airgun rated series of Hawke Optics.

However, if your TX200 is a 12fpe English version ... you should be alright.
Otherwise, it may be wise of you to acquire a Diana/RWS Bullseye ZR-Mount
to protect your scope against the damaging effects of reverse springer recoil.

Last edited by aom22; 02-20-2017 at 05:53 PM.
Old 02-20-2017, 05:44 PM
desmobob

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I knew the Vantage was not optimal. It will be used on a .22 rimfire in the future. I have an Airmax SF 4-16x50 IR now. It's a great scope!

Thanks for the tip,
Bob
Old 02-20-2017, 06:23 PM
aom22
US Air Force Disabled American Veteran Law Enforcement Officer NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Side Focus vs Front Object Focus

Bob, in your use of side-focus parallax adjustment in your TX200 ... have you found the side-focus
feature to have any discernable advantage over the front-object focus?

I've been considering going the side-focus route with the new scopes I'm planning to acquire.
Considering, my springers are all being transitioned to ZR-Mounts to negate reverse recoil on
springer mounted scopes,
I think questions concerning side-focus vulnerability against reverse springer recoil should be allayed.

Last edited by aom22; 02-20-2017 at 06:31 PM.
Old 02-20-2017, 06:26 PM
supersharp

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
desmobob- I topped my Daystate Airwolf with a Hawke Sidewinder 30 HK4026 6.5-20x42 nice clear optics and it will focus down to about 10 yards .As far as pellets go I like .22 over .177 because I think it's a little more stable and obviously more energy.
Old 02-21-2017, 08:26 AM
tmen52

TPC Rating: 
100% (16)
Send a message via AIM to tmen52
desmobob,, I hope your Vantage scope holds up long enough on the new springer to see future use on a .22 rifle. I'm not familiar with the shot cycle of the TX200, but I am familiar with lower end Hawke scopes that are not air-gun rated and I might be skeptical.
I own a Vantage 3-12 mounted on a PCP, nice optics for the cost, mil-dot reticle and no functional issues. My only minor complaint, the side focus yardage indicator doesn't match up / focus with the yardage you're shooting, at a 50yd target the scope side focus dial needs adjusted to where it reads over 100 for the sharpest view.
Good luck with your new gun and scope.
Old 02-22-2017, 10:29 PM
desmobob

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by aom22 View Post
Bob, in your use of side-focus parallax adjustment in your TX200 ... have you found the side-focus
feature to have any discernable advantage over the front-object focus?
Yes! In using the high-magnification parallax-adjustable scope in its secondary role as a rangefinder (or just in focusing the scope), it is very easy to reach up with my left thumb and forefinger from my grip on the forestock to twist the side focus knob. Much, much easier than trying to hold the rifle from the pistol grip (the TX200 with a large scope mounted is a heavy beast) while moving my entire left hand out to the objective to focus there.

I have replaced two of my AO scopes with side focus models so far.

Tight groups,
Bob
Old 02-22-2017, 10:37 PM
desmobob

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmen52 View Post
desmobob,, I hope your Vantage scope holds up long enough on the new springer to see future use on a .22 rifle. I'm not familiar with the shot cycle of the TX200, but I am familiar with lower end Hawke scopes that are not air-gun rated and I might be skeptical.
I own a Vantage 3-12 mounted on a PCP, nice optics for the cost, mil-dot reticle and no functional issues. My only minor complaint, the side focus yardage indicator doesn't match up / focus with the yardage you're shooting, at a 50yd target the scope side focus dial needs adjusted to where it reads over 100 for the sharpest view.
Good luck with your new gun and scope.
Thank you!

The Vantage held up very well, with several hundred shots taken before being switched out for an Airmax 30SF. The TX200 has a reasonably mild shot cycle due to its "pre-tuned" build and, mostly, its heavy mass.

I was very impressed with the Vantage at its price point and I'm just as impressed with the Airmax. I had never heard of Hawke Optics until I bought my air rifle. I'm becoming a big fan.

The Vantage is headed for duty on a M69 Romanian training rifle, replacing an old Tasco budget varmint scope that was acceptable, but never a favorite at all.

Tight groups,
Bob

Last edited by desmobob; 02-22-2017 at 10:40 PM.
Old 02-24-2017, 06:04 PM
rimfire lust

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Ive runied many scopes when i was younger using non airgun rated scopes. Yr air arms gun will ruin yr scope trust me. Im got 31 years experience in shooting springers.

Yr next set up it you want a truly world class is a rapid air weapons rifle.
Probaly the best you can get in air rifles.

And i alredy own high end pcps but for accuracy raw is it i think