Reason NOT to buy an airgun - Page 6 - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 12-26-2016, 08:36 AM
56S

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)

Airguns open of the full circle of shooting at my house. I can safely shoot any of my powder burned in a 90 degree arc behind my home. The last 270 degrees is safe with my airguns. Current fav is the Benjamin Maximus .22. I'm using the packaged handpump to recharge. I would never want to hand pump anything requiring more than 2K PSI.
Old 12-28-2016, 02:45 PM
Goemon

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MagTen View Post
I have an Air Arms TX200 in .22 caliber and it is a finely made air rifle with incredible accuracy with Crosman Premiums (boxed not canned). It is very capable of taking small game.

I am very interested in a PCP rifle, but the primary hurdle is the cost of the high-pressure compressors ($2,000) and they still require a standard compressor. I am not going to use a hand pump. Am I missing something?
Yes, most people with PCP guns use a 4500 psi carbon fiber scba tank to fill their guns. They don't own their own compressor.

I have two scba tanks which I bought used for $115 each. I get them filled at my local firefighter supply store for $10. Each tank will fill my air rifles many times. I shoot a lot and I only need to go and get them refilled once every 3 months.
Old 12-28-2016, 02:55 PM
Goemon

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Research before deciding

A lot of people have understandably innacurate views on what an air rifle is capable of.

If you want to see what a popular repeating air rifle looks like these days, Google the following things:

- FX Impact, FX Wildcat - start on the Airguns of Arizona website. These are for bullpup lovers

- RAW (rapid air weapons) and Daystate Regal, Daystate Wolverine (for people who prefer traditional style rifles)

- Extreme Big Bores - for anyone who is curious to see what sort of power can be squeezed out of the most powerful air rifles. People use Extreme BIg Bore rifles for hunt bear and buffalo. Using Helium, they put out 1600fpe
Old 12-28-2016, 03:02 PM
Goemon

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Also...

My airgun bullpups:

http://i1206.photobucket.com/albums/...pstddb2mre.jpg

22 and 25 cal for any squirrel who dares to dig up my lawn.

And my latest 22 PCP with folding stock:

http://i1206.photobucket.com/albums/...psbxm7qwdm.jpg
Old 12-31-2016, 11:41 PM
airshot
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Al the Infidel View Post
Spit-wads are the only thing legal in my MI hamlet. No slingshots, arrows, Daisy bb guns, nuthin!
Why would you want to live there? I moved out into the country for that very reason, I have my own 50yd range in my backyard along with all my distant neighbors. There is only one home on my road that does not have a gun range in there backyard. Funny thing is there is no crime in my area....makes you wonder why?
Old 12-31-2016, 11:57 PM
Al the Infidel
US Marines Disabled American Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by airshot View Post
Why would you want to live there? I moved out into the country for that very reason, I have my own 50yd range in my backyard along with all my distant neighbors. There is only one home on my road that does not have a gun range in there backyard. Funny thing is there is no crime in my area....makes you wonder why?
Hometown USA and the wife will not move. I got too much time in training her, 34 yrs, to leave her but I hafta admit her obedience is a bit lacking.
Old 01-01-2017, 12:16 PM
POOF

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I live in Mich 40 minutes north of Detroit, we shoot airguns all the time in my backyard my wife, son, and I, We all Compete with one another. And I live in the city limits I do have {silencers that are made for airguns} No tax stamp or license required for them on airguns, They work great! I Also told my nabours that we were shooting airguns and asked if they had a problem with it, and ether of them could care less. They know we are responsible and use a good judgment and a good target When I shoot rim or center fire, I have family members that own a farm 15 mins north of me that we all shoot those at. Do you Live in a Condo or something? Here's a target I use, You could shoot in the house with it!! https://www.precisionairgunsandsuppl...sticRubberTile
Old 01-01-2017, 02:32 PM
airshot

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Al the Infidel View Post
Hometown USA and the wife will not move. I got too much time in training her, 34 yrs, to leave her but I hafta admit her obedience is a bit lacking.
Yep I understand completely....I have 46yrs invested in mine...thankfully she enjoys the rural life.
Old 02-07-2017, 08:53 AM
*Doc Holliday

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Sheridan

I still have my Sheridan air rifle cal .20....I got it when I was 15yo I'm 69 yo now
it's never had new seals...still shoots very accurately....

I have some ammo from Sheridan that I use occasionally.

Recently I have seen Pyramid air has 20cal pellets...so I'll stock up.

Wm P
Old 02-14-2017, 04:27 PM
n2omike
Appleseed Member Appleseed Rifleman

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
This is a bone stock .25 Marauder with only slight tuning done. (screw turning) It gives 27 shots at 800 fps using 25.4 grain JSB pellets. Stock was around 840-850 fps, but fewer shots.

The .25 Marauder comes with a Green Mountain barrel from the factory, and shoots far more accurately than the .177 and .22 versions. The gun comes from the factory with a noise deadening shroud, and is VERY backyard friendly when it comes to noise. It is extremely accurate, and shoots just as good or better than any of my .22 powder burners out to 50 yards. It will also kill any small game out to that distance that a .22 will with excellent efficiency.

I LOVE The gun, as it is extremely accurate, and head shots are ZERO problem. I also live in the city limits, and can shoot off my back porch. The gun takes birds, squirrels, rabbits, etc amazingly well.

Below are a couple pictures. One is a target shot at 50 yards, and the other is a nuisance bird that was eating a cicada when I took out it's fuse box. Didn't know what hit it, and still had the bug clenched in it's mouth!

LOVE my air guns! The PCP world is exploding, and the guns are ADDICTING!

Old 02-20-2017, 04:57 PM
aom22
US Air Force Disabled American Veteran Law Enforcement Officer NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
COST: Rimfire vs Airgun ... Not a Fair Comparison

There is no comparison relative to cost ... the rimfire wins - hands down.
At this stage of development and for the foreseeable future, the self-contained
cartridge is the most cost-effective method ever-devised-by-man to propel lead.

The rimfire powerplant based-on gun powder cannot be rivaled cost-wise by the use
of a compressed gas for propulsion.
The additional cost of gas compression, containment and metering have to be taken
into consideration.
None of which applies to a rimfire.

However, an airgun does offer at least one great advantage ... more trigger-time
by virtue of NOT being a firearm.
If trigger-time is what matters most ... the airgun will be the winner.

Last edited by aom22; 02-20-2017 at 05:46 PM.
Old 02-21-2017, 09:59 AM
SillyMike
US Army Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join! Appleseed Member Appleseed Rifleman

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I think the next step will be miniaturization of Combustion Light Gas Gun
Old 02-21-2017, 10:22 AM
supersharp

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I love my 22 rimfires put my Daystate Airwolf has been a lifesaver and a good tool to hone my shooting skills as I can shoot in the backyard with it anytime I want at 50 yards .Yes it is expensive it is a precision top-quality instrument with a incredible trigger oozing of quality.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20160511_111606.jpg (534.7 KB, 6 views)