Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 02-21-2010, 06:15 PM
BowShootr2

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Need CM-2 Advice....

Hi all,
I am looking to start shooting rimfire benchrest rifles. This weekend I had the pleasure of shooting a CM-2 that a friend owns, and he said it was a sixties gun. I was impressed for sure, it shot well and he didn't have a huge initial investment i it. Surprisingly, it out shot some very expensive Annies and VQ's. I have a few questions:

1.Where is a good place to pick up a CM-2?

2. Should I try to find an old one?

3. Are the CM-2's offered by MT Guns new manufacture?

Any thoughts would be appreciated. Just an FYI, I own several nice varmint rigs and have mainly shot centerfire for years.
Old 02-21-2010, 06:20 PM
Chattcatdaddy
US Air Force Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
MTguns has the new manufactured line of CM2s. Just give Mac a call or email from MTguns and he will be very helpful.
Old 02-21-2010, 06:25 PM
BowShootr2

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Should I buy a new one or look for an older model?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-21-2010, 07:23 PM
white house
US Army Disabled American Veteran Law Enforcement Officer

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
BowShootr2,

The CM-2 threads that started up here more than a year ago started me into thinking buying a used one was worth the effort. When I got it it took me a little time (for $299) to realize it was actually a Ural (number 1) from cdnn instead of an actual CM-2. As time progressed I found the rifle to be super accurate and those with CM-2s found the same amazing accuracy defying more expensive conventional options.

Up to this time there has been a rush to get these rifles and as they kept selling them the prices went up.

I'd buy a used one. We all did and none of us whether we got a Ural or CM-2 ever regretted the purchase except for some models (mine included) that had no easy access to mount a scope to use them with optics.

I've followed the Russian Rifle Forum ever since before my own Ural. During all that time more than a year ago or more I've found that forum with AOM 22 to be the most informative place to research and study tons of threads about the Russian Rifles from the 60s.

I know I cannot shoot any better than my Ural over sandbags with any other rifle. I am not a match silhouette shooter shooting competitions with sandbagged rifles or position rifles using iron sights or scopes.

All I know is my Ural USSR VOSTOK is easily the most accurate .22 LR rifle I have ever owned and beyond it I can't really compare. The trigger itself is less than 2 ounces and I have fired ahead of time on occasion only because I am still trying to get used to the feeling of a trigger that operates so safely and perfectly under extremely light pull weight.

There are new models available, but I honestly don't think the new models offer anything over the Older ones. In fact, I think because they are new they are not made under the same engineering conditions to put them together. Perhaps MIM and CNC and lack of personal touch in makers of these rifles is lost.

I hope this helps. If you want to see pics of my Ural they have been posted into a Sticky along with many others who were with me trying to figure out why some of us ended up with a three lugged bolt and others a regular bolt for getting a "CM-2."

It took us awhile to figure out both the Ural and CM-2 were being sold as "CM-2s" until we figured it out.
Old 02-21-2010, 10:02 PM
OcelotZ3

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
CDNN has them (or had them) for $279. I bought one a few weeks ago. Now I'm working on cleaning the oil from the stock just to make it look a little better.

Can't wait to shoot it though!
Old 02-21-2010, 10:05 PM
BowShootr2

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
white house,

many thanks, I figured there were some variants.

I'll keep you updated. My buddy's CM 2 must be pretty old.

Old 02-21-2010, 11:32 PM
Jerel
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I figured there were some variants.

BowShootr2,

Look here to see the differences.

https://www.rimfirecentral.com/forums...d.php?t=238510

Notice the difference in the bolt and lock up lugs.
The rear sight dovetail on most rifles are side mounts (#9, 12, 13, & 14). If you are very lucky, you might get a top dovetail (#3 & 8)

Post #2 is a CM2.
Posts #9, 13, & 14 are Ural 1s.
Posts #3, 8, & 12 are Ural 2s.
Post # 15 has CM2 at top and Ural 2 at bottom.

I hope this helps,

Jerel
Old 02-22-2010, 06:38 PM
aom22
US Air Force Disabled American Veteran Law Enforcement Officer NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Vintage or Contemporary CM-2

If you are a DIYer ... a vintage VOSTOK Ural or CM-2 maybe a reasonable consideration.
If you can find one for sale.
Who has CM-2 or Vostocks for sale? ... Irish John
However, if you want a ready-to-go rifle a contemporary CM-2 should be a better choice.
CM-2 (SM-2) Smallbore Sporting Rifle
Old 02-22-2010, 11:05 PM
El Paso Mark
US Navy Veteran Law Enforcement Officer

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
What's the black (Apparently) rubbery-knobby stuff on the forends of the (New) CM-2's? I assume it's to aid grip. Is it easily removable (So as to aid slidding in a front bag during recoil)? Thanx.

Cheers,

Mark
Old 02-22-2010, 11:41 PM
midwest swiss
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by El Paso Mark View Post
What's the black (Apparently) rubbery-knobby stuff on the forends of the (New) CM-2's? I assume it's to aid grip. Is it easily removable (So as to aid slidding in a front bag during recoil)? Thanx.

Cheers,

Mark
Thats stippling.
The CM-2 & Urals are 3P rifles.
If a person would want to use a Russian rifle for some serious bench rest shooting I would get the Ural
then have it restocked to a good bench-rest stock. The Ural has a better trigger & can be adjusted in the low oz.
so you could shoot free recoil.

Swiss

Last edited by midwest swiss; 02-22-2010 at 11:53 PM.
Old 02-23-2010, 12:22 AM
El Paso Mark
US Navy Veteran Law Enforcement Officer

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by midwest swiss View Post
Thats stippling.
The CM-2 & Urals are 3P rifles. Swiss
Thanx. I know they're position rifles and not benchrest, but I kinda like the looks of the CM-2 (Grows on ya, like a 91/30 ya know?) and read pretty good things about them. So I have it on my "Consideration" list. Wouldn't be used for true benchrest.

Cheers,

Mark
Old 02-23-2010, 10:43 AM
Chattcatdaddy
US Air Force Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by El Paso Mark View Post
Thanx. I know they're position rifles and not benchrest, but I kinda like the looks of the CM-2 (Grows on ya, like a 91/30 ya know?) and read pretty good things about them. So I have it on my "Consideration" list. Wouldn't be used for true benchrest.

Cheers,

Mark
They do indeed grow on ya! Plus its always fun to show up at matches with a little something different from everyone else.
Old 02-24-2010, 12:29 AM
white house
US Army Disabled American Veteran Law Enforcement Officer

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerel View Post
BowShootr2,

Look here to see the differences.

https://www.rimfirecentral.com/forums...d.php?t=238510

Notice the difference in the bolt and lock up lugs.
The rear sight dovetail on most rifles are side mounts (#9, 12, 13, & 14). If you are very lucky, you might get a top dovetail (#3 & 8)

Post #2 is a CM2.
Posts #9, 13, & 14 are Ural 1s.
Posts #3, 8, & 12 are Ural 2s.
Post # 15 has CM2 at top and Ural 2 at bottom.

I hope this helps,

Jerel
Post Nine has my Ural with many photos and details.

I have never handled or seen or fired a better .22 Long Rifle Match Type rifle in my life. I've owned many Anschutz rifles. After the URAL I only credit Anschutz for the HORNET Centerfire. Wish Ural made them too.
Old 02-25-2010, 10:56 AM
BowShootr2

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by white house View Post
Post Nine has my Ural with many photos and details.

I have never handled or seen or fired a better .22 Long Rifle Match Type rifle in my life. I've owned many Anschutz rifles. After the URAL I only credit Anschutz for the HORNET Centerfire. Wish Ural made them too.
Thanks fellas, mnay good links and help.