Teslong bore scope to inspect your barrels - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 10-14-2019, 10:59 AM
copterdrvr
US Army Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Teslong bore scope to inspect your barrels

Have any of you folks tried the Teslong bore scope? The sucker costs like 50 bucks and it FITS IN A 22 CAL BARREL.

If you wonder about the dreaded "carbon ring" this thing shows it up crystal clear. There are some caveats however.....

I have two Kidd and two Fedderson barreled 10/22's and they ALL are tack drivers. They all are at least 4 years old and really are a pleasure to shoot. The one thing that struck me was the internal finish of the barrels and how much difference there was between them.

The Kidd barrels are BEAUTIFULLY finished on the inside with literally no tool marks that shouldn't be there. The Fedderson barrels do NOT look the same-at all. The amazing thing is that they all shoot the same. They all have their favorite bullet but they all shoot the same awesome groups at 100 yards.

Anyway, point is that if you like the way your rifle shoots, don't write it off after running this borescope through it because you will CLEARLY see everything, warts and all.

The one picture with just a spot of carbon is after about 20 strokes in the chamber with JB Bore Brite. 10 more strokes finished it off.

With regard to the carbon, I was shocked to see how much was there as I"ve always prided myself on what I THOUGHT was a thorough cleaning regimen to include quality solvents like Bore Tech and bronze brushes. I use the JB bore Brite regularly now.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg WIN_20191012_11_25_24_Pro.jpg (120.5 KB, 24 views)
File Type: jpg WIN_20191012_11_33_24_Pro.jpg (108.0 KB, 22 views)
File Type: jpg WIN_20191012_11_45_07_Pro.jpg (93.5 KB, 22 views)
File Type: jpg WIN_20191012_12_27_48_Pro.jpg (123.3 KB, 21 views)
File Type: jpg WIN_20191012_12_31_34_Pro.jpg (107.9 KB, 23 views)
Old 10-14-2019, 12:44 PM
Neos

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
Thanks for the heads up!
Old 10-14-2019, 02:09 PM
ammohog
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (10)
I have a Lyman borescope, and it has changed my cleaning procedure(s) for several different rifles / pistols. Borescopes are the best tool you can have to find out what products actually work the best for cleaning. Some barrels require a little "extra" in some areas..... carbon, lead, etc. I have found C4 with a bronze brush (.25) works very well for carbon (chamber), and it isn't abrasive. Best of luck and have fun with your borescope! They are worth every penny. ..... AH

Last edited by ammohog; 10-14-2019 at 02:15 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-14-2019, 04:14 PM
copterdrvr

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
If you have a Savage rifle that shoots well and you are happy with, DO NOT GET THIS SCOPE!!

I have a modded Savage Mark II 22 and a .223 Model 12 Varmint in a chassis stock that are both extremely accurate, in fact, the .223 has shot 5 round groups at 300 yards that measured less than .800 and the finish in the barrels look like absolute CRAP-you'd think they used a Roto Rotor to finish them!

And I totally don't get why they shoot well..............
Old 10-14-2019, 06:37 PM
vaguru

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
What model Teslong and where did you purchase? Is the price you quoted for a complete unit or does one need to have something else to go with it?
Old 10-14-2019, 06:45 PM
tommyt654

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
https://www.rimfirecentral.com/forum....php?t=1173379
Old 10-15-2019, 12:41 PM
vaguru

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by tommyt654 View Post
Found it and ordered one. Thanks for info
Old 10-15-2019, 04:20 PM
copterdrvr

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
I did a search for Teslong borescope and didn't find anything because if I did, I wouldn't have posted.

I picked mine up on Amazon for 49 bucks and I can't imagine how the images could be any clearer or more in focus with ANY borescope. I can see even the most minute lines, scratches, carbon, copper, etc.

Just wanted to share...

Copterdrvr
Old 10-15-2019, 05:19 PM
Shamokinbob

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Thanks for the info, just ordered mine, it has a 4.7 out of 5, so sounds like it should be good, time will tell
Old 10-15-2019, 07:50 PM
Nolan

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by copterdrvr View Post
If you have a Savage rifle that shoots well and you are happy with, DO NOT GET THIS SCOPE!!

I have a modded Savage Mark II 22 and a .223 Model 12 Varmint in a chassis stock that are both extremely accurate, in fact, the .223 has shot 5 round groups at 300 yards that measured less than .800 and the finish in the barrels look like absolute CRAP-you'd think they used a Roto Rotor to finish them!

And I totally don't get why they shoot well..............
I've been using a borescope from Oasis Scientific
https://www.oasisscientific.com/stor...nd_Tablet.html

It can be used either as a direct USB to PC or via WiFi. It's not as cheap as the Teslong, but I have had good results with it.

You are correct about not looking at some barrels, YIKES! I had a Colt Competition stainless barrel that had about 8K rounds through it and accuracy was dropping off and it took a lot of effort to clean. I bought a Lyman borescope that promptly quit and then the replacement had problems, so I returned it and bought the GB-460 borescope. That poor barrel looked like 5 miles of bad 50 year old pavement in the Mojave desert. How it still shot under 2 MOA I will never know!

The borescope paid for itself when I bought a replacement barrel from a famous name brand barrel maker and the gas port looked like this.

Nolan
Old 10-17-2019, 08:09 PM
jpx2rk

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I received my Teslong bore scope a few days ago via Amazon, and got it working with my Lenovo tablet, have to download a couple apps (use the HD version app) and got it working. I have a Lyman borescope and there is a world of difference between the 2. I took a peek at a Savage 12FV in 204R (NO it won't fit in the bore, just the chamber) with the Teslong and I had already peeked in the chamber with the Lyman, and I saw more than I really wanted to in terms of tool marks, scratches, etc., etc., but the 204 shoots sub MOA all day long.
Old 10-17-2019, 08:24 PM
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! UotM

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpx2rk View Post
I received my Teslong bore scope a few days ago via Amazon, and got it working with my Lenovo tablet, have to download a couple apps (use the HD version app) and got it working. I have a Lyman borescope and there is a world of difference between the 2. I took a peek at a Savage 12FV in 204R (NO it won't fit in the bore, just the chamber) with the Teslong and I had already peeked in the chamber with the Lyman, and I saw more than I really wanted to in terms of tool marks, scratches, etc., etc., but the 204 shoots sub MOA all day long.
Care to elaborate?
Old 10-18-2019, 12:03 AM
Nolan

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
The first generation Lyman borescope was only 320 x 240 and the second generation is listed as4.6mm diameter, 640 by 480 resolution. But the users manual still lists photos as 320 x 240.

The Oasis Scientific GB-460 I have is 4mm in diameter and 1280 x 720 resolution.

The Teslong is 5mm in diameter and I haven't been able to find the resolution listed, but it appears to be at least 1280 x 720 or better.

The issue with the Lyman is the monitor unit frequently quits and that is the only method for viewing or storing images. The buttons on my first unit stopped working and the replacement wouldn't record images to the memory card, the monitor was also so badly distorted it was useless. I gave up and returned it. I was eventually refunded my purchase price but it took a long time.

Nolan
Old 10-18-2019, 12:19 AM
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! UotM

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
Thanks for the deets, brother- I ordered a Teslong based on this thread, I was worried you were going to tell me itís trash. Iím interested in comparing itís viewing capability compared to my 30 degree and 70 degree Storz medical endoscopes that I converted to borescopes.

I appreciate the info-

DrG
Old 10-18-2019, 12:58 PM
Nolan

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
I don't have one of the Teslong borescopes, but for the price I may pick one up and try it. I'm sure I have at least one laptop it will probably work with. It may work with the Oasis Scientific WiFi adapter I have and the Vividia software that comes with the Oasis Scientific borescope. The WiFi is handy because I put it on the big monitor I have over my workbench or I can take it just about anywhere and view it on my Iphone or Ipad.

Nolan