Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 10-14-2019, 03:52 PM
irishbob

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Victor trigger reset issue... help please

I just scored a great deal on an early 80s Victor and 3 mags for $400. Lucky me!

Here's the only issue I'm having:
Trigger does not reset most of the time. I have to hit it a few times with trigger finger before I feel it 'catch' and ready to shoot.
Of course, I can't duplicate that at home on the work bench, just at the range.

I replaced the sear bar spring (V shapped spring) but having the same issue. The pistol is spotlessly clean, I'm not sure if it ever got shot! So dirt isn't the issue. I have not taken it apart and swapped out other springs yet, but I'm not afraid to.

Any ideas why this is happening and how to fix? TIA

Bob
Old 10-14-2019, 07:47 PM
moonjohn
US Air Force Veteran

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
High Standard sometimes screwed up when making the gold plated triggers.
The result was that the sear bar would freeze solid into the trigger hole due to unresolved chemical reactions.
Therefore, the sear bar post will not rotate in the trigger hole and the sear will not reset.

The good news is that if you remove the sear bar and trigger, you can clean/oil things up and put it back together and it will work fine.

The bad news is the you may not be able to remove the sear bar because it is frozen solid to the trigger.
And if you try to force the sear bar off, you will bend it making it useless.
Old 10-15-2019, 01:03 AM
TAB
US Air Force Veteran

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
If the problem is the sear bar pin stuck in the trigger, Kano Labs Kroil is your friend. It may take a couple of days to soak in, but it will. Then judicious, gentle rotating and pulling on the sear bar and more Kroil will get it out.

TAB
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-15-2019, 01:31 AM
Kona Dave
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Send a message via Skype™ to Kona Dave
Quote:
Originally Posted by moonjohn View Post
High Standard sometimes screwed up when making the gold plated triggers.
The result was that the sear bar would freeze solid into the trigger hole due to unresolved chemical reactions.
Therefore, the sear bar post will not rotate in the trigger hole and the sear will not reset.

The good news is that if you remove the sear bar and trigger, you can clean/oil things up and put it back together and it will work fine.

The bad news is the you may not be able to remove the sear bar because it is frozen solid to the trigger.
And if you try to force the sear bar off, you will bend it making it useless.
I had the same problem with my Trophy (Gold Plated Trigger) and it took several weeks of soaking and finally being able to get it disassembled so I could clean out the crud/corrosion caused by the gold plating and neglect. But I also had the same problem with my Tournament which does not have the gold plated trigger. Fixing the issue was much easier/quicker as the first soaking then cleaning and re-lube fixed it right up without ever occurring again.
Old 10-15-2019, 06:20 AM
SGVictor

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kona Dave View Post
I had the same problem with my Trophy (Gold Plated Trigger) and it took several weeks of soaking and finally being able to get it disassembled so I could clean out the crud/corrosion caused by the gold plating and neglect. But I also had the same problem with my Tournament which does not have the gold plated trigger. Fixing the issue was much easier/quicker as the first soaking then cleaning and re-lube fixed it right up without ever occurring again.
Of course its not just the gold plated triggers. It is all the triggers made from powdered metal which is most of the later triggers say after 1957. The finish whether gold, nickel, clued or case colored was done by submerging the triggers is chemicals. While submerged, the chemical solution penetrated the remaining porosity of the trigger. Then the parts were rinsed usually in water. For solid parts a fairy quick rinse will suffice but on porous parts it will take longer perhaps even warranting a second rinse in fresh water. If the rinsing was shortcut, then chemicals may not have been sufficiently removed.

The variables are the density of the powdered metal, which chemicals were used, the sufficiency of the rinse, and how the gun was stored over its life. They weren't all the same and so are not all equally good or bad.

Not all gold triggers are gold. Some are a translucent golden epoxy over nickel plate. So say the prints.
Old 10-15-2019, 07:34 AM
Andyd
Veteran

TPC Rating: 
100% (24)
SGVictor,

thanks for sharing your amazing knowledge here! This is very educative.
Old 10-15-2019, 07:37 AM
LDBennett

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Is the adjuster spring for the sear (trigger pull adjustment) installed correctly? If you reach into the gun with the slide off while holding the hammer all the way back, can you flick the sear and hear an audible click when the sear engages the hammer?

Too little spring pressure on the sear can cause unreliable trigger operation. But I would think the first place to look is at the trigger pin to trigger bar interface as suggested by others.

LDBennett
Old 10-17-2019, 03:10 PM
irishbob

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
LD....thank you for that tip, there seems to be adequate spring pressure on the sear. However, I'll replace that spring too if the problem persists.

The trigger bar came out of the trigger just fine, buffed it up and put back in, will advise next range day in a few days. Thanks, I hope this did it.
Old 10-18-2019, 10:24 AM
moonjohn
US Air Force Veteran

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Remove the slide and use a flashlight to look, from the top, behind the sear and confirm the rear legs of the sear spring are captured in the adjustment notch.
…....
Back to my original comment.
The “sear bar” must be true or it will rub and not function as designed.
Someone may have bent the “sear bar” the past while trying to remove it.
Check it to insure it isn't bent.
Next:
In some designs there is a washer on the “hammer pin” that is often lost.
It acts as a spacer to insure the safety doesn't interfere with the “sear bar”.
Next:
If the safety is bent, it can interfere with the action of the “sear bar”.
Next:
If the “side plate” is bent, it can interfere with the action of the sear bar.
Next:
If the left grip is warped, it can put pressure on the “side plate” that may interfere with the action of the “sear bar”.
Temporarily loosen the “side plate screw” and the “left grip screw” to check for binding.
Next:
The milling of the frame is typically crude.
There may be burs/sharp edges that interfere with the action of the “sear bar”.
Next:
The appearance of clean is not the same as clean.
A typical cause of poor “sear bar” action is old oil that has changed into a varnish that interferes with the action of the “sear bar”.

Finally, check to see that the trigger over-travel screw adjustment is not interfering with the reset of the “sear bar”.
Old 10-23-2019, 05:49 PM
dlay

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by irishbob View Post
I just scored a great deal on an early 80s Victor and 3 mags for $400. Lucky me!

Here's the only issue I'm having:
Trigger does not reset most of the time. I have to hit it a few times with trigger finger before I feel it 'catch' and ready to shoot.
Of course, I can't duplicate that at home on the work bench, just at the range.

I replaced the sear bar spring (V shapped spring) but having the same issue. The pistol is spotlessly clean, I'm not sure if it ever got shot! So dirt isn't the issue. I have not taken it apart and swapped out other springs yet, but I'm not afraid to.

Any ideas why this is happening and how to fix? TIA

Bob
Kroil oil, soak and work.
Old 10-24-2019, 06:14 PM
moonjohn
US Air Force Veteran

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I would add this to my post.
Not only can the trigger bar freeze to the gold plated High Standard trigger making it almost impossible to remove, In addition the same thing will happen to the trigger over travel screw.
You may strip the screw if you try to force it.
Old 10-25-2019, 03:55 AM
FredVK
US Navy Veteran

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by moonjohn View Post
Not only can the trigger bar freeze to the gold plated High Standard trigger making it almost impossible to remove, In addition the same thing will happen to the trigger over travel screw.
You may strip the screw if you try to force it.
This is exactly the problem I was having on my trigger screw. Now I know why. Even after soaking it in Kroil it wouldn't turn. I'm sure the head would strip if I put any more force on it. I can live with it as set.