Charging handle question - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 10-16-2019, 09:47 AM
enrico

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)

Hi all, I have question on charging handles. I just picked up a Buckmark URX contour california model and a Tandomkross halo charging handle. The handle does not fit according to TK because its a CA model I just found out. The questions, what are the difference between the CA and non CA models? The other, does anyone know who makes a handle for the CA model. The reason I'm asking about the handle, I'm using agula super-calibre and they are not powerfully enough to cycle. I use them for indoor practice.
Thank you for you time!

Last edited by enrico; 10-16-2019 at 09:52 AM.
Old 10-16-2019, 04:23 PM
bearman49709
US Army Veteran

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Sorry I can't help you but if you have a mod move this to the Buckmark forum above this forum you might get help faster.
Old 10-17-2019, 10:19 AM
enrico

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bearman49709 View Post
Sorry I can't help you but if you have a mod move this to the Buckmark forum above this forum you might get help faster.
Noted, thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-22-2019, 02:16 AM
redear

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
A few years ago I ha the same problem with a used Challenge and I had to buy a different slide that has those protruding gripper things at the back of the slide. the halo I believe has channels inside that the ribs slide into and keep it from moving. I can't remember if I bought the slide from browning or MGW. I still have trouble with my halo moving downward and it's as tight as I can get it without stripping threads. Striplin can fit a handle to any buckmark slide and it will stay till the end of time. It's a totally different shape though.
Old 10-22-2019, 02:19 AM
redear

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
there are about 3 variations of slides and only one has the rib on each side you need for the halo. I do love the feel and function of the halo and it looks good too.
Old 10-22-2019, 11:14 AM
rdas
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
The best thread about this is the Slide Differences thread by user dimeman.

I've never heard of any claims about CA and non-CA slides, but there are 3 different types of "ears" configurations on various Buckmark slides over the years, listed here in chronological order...
1) Ones with no ears and slide serrations inside the cutout in the top half of the slide (dimeman refers to these as "type 1"). This was the only slide for many years (from 1985 until some time in the mid-to-late 1990's).
2) Ones that have had "large" or "wide" ears attached to the slide after machining (dimeman refers to these as "type 2"). These also have the slide serrations in the cutout in the top half of the slide, but the cutout has been moved farther forward, to give space for the ears to be attached
3) Ones that have smaller ears and full-height slide serrations machined into the slide itself (dimeman refers to these as "type 3"). These also have the cutout in the top half of the slide, but there are no serrations inside the cutout.

Adding to the confusion is that there were some slides with the cutout and serrations further forward, to which the add-on ears were not attached. This means that there are really two different types of slides with no ears... the traditional one with the cutout further back, and newer ones with the cutout further forward. The ones with the cutout further forward, but no ears attached, are the worst as far as grip is concerned.

Further adding to the confusion, there are also two different types of Buckmark slide internals, although this has nothing to do with gripping the slide:
A) pre-2001 - can be identified from the outside by the small hole in the side of the slide for the roll pin that is the firing pin retaining pin
B) 2001-present - can be identified by the lack of that hole (because the firing pin retaining pin is inside a small housing that rests completely inside the slide, so no need to access that pin from the outside)

Another aspect of the confusion is that, for several years, both type 1 slides and type 2 slides were produced at the same time, and that time frame spanned the change of the slide internals in 2001. So there are type 1 slides with no ears, with both types of internals. And there are type 2 slides with the "large" or "wide" ears, with both types of internals. Dimeman also has photos of the type 3 slides, both with and without the hole, so it's possible that those were also produced both before and after 2001 (although possibly only intended for the Buckmark rifle, rather than the pistol).

The Tandemkross Halo only fits the type 3 slides with the smaller ears machined into the slide and the full-height slide serrations. Which is a bit ironic, since the slides that need the most help are the ones with no ears.

Note that all the slides are interchangeable on any Buckmark pistol. The parts that are held inside the slide (firing pin, firing pin spring, firing pin retaining pin, recoil guide) are not interchangeable between pre-2001 and 2001-present slides, but you can put a 2001-present slide with 2001-present internals on a 1992 Buckmark, and you can put a pre-2001 slide with pre-2001 internals on a 2016 Buckmark. So, if you really want to use the Halo, you can buy a type 3 slide and put it on your Buckmark. If you have a pre-2001 Buckmark, you'd probably also have to buy the newer internals, but they are not very expensive (less than $10 for the full set, called the "RECOIL SPRING GUIDE ASSEMBLY ('01-PRESENT)", part # B5150065, from Browning's parts department).

I hope that helps to clarify what is, unfortunately, a pretty confusing situation.

Dave

Last edited by rdas; 10-22-2019 at 11:21 AM.
Old 10-22-2019, 09:15 PM
Flash_80

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by redear View Post
A few years ago I ha the same problem with a used Challenge and I had to buy a different slide that has those protruding gripper things at the back of the slide. the halo I believe has channels inside that the ribs slide into and keep it from moving. I can't remember if I bought the slide from browning or MGW. I still have trouble with my halo moving downward and it's as tight as I can get it without stripping threads. Striplin can fit a handle to any buckmark slide and it will stay till the end of time. It's a totally different shape though.
Billy Striplin can take care of that pretty easily. Don't know why I haven't done mine yet. Its an older non-halo compatible slide as well.

https://striplincustom.com/collectio...acker-serrated