New Rifle: Savage Model 62F 22. lr - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 05-19-2018, 02:53 PM
PANDEMICBANDIT

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)

So I recently just purchased a Savage Model 62F .22 lr about a week ago. And I put I think maybe 40 - 50 or 60 rounds through it maybe more or less can't really remember. Its semi automatic, so its alot of fun to shoot which is why I wasn't really keeping track of how many rounds I was putting through. Anyways just a quick question, I was told by the guy that sold it to me that you should only clean it when it starts to malfunction. (I'm guessing that includes constant misfires, jamups, feeding problems or if the slide that you pull back to chamber a live round gets harder and harder to pull.) I'm assuming these are all signs that the rifle needs to be cleaned.

My question: Is this true?

Only clean it when it starts to malfunction?

The reason I ask is because I did alot of reading and people have said "if you shoot the gun, clean the gun" well I've been doing that with my .308 and my Henry Lever Action .22 and because of that they stay in a clean and prestine condition at all times. And once a month, I do a light coat of rem oil on the exterior of all my rifles to keep rust from forming. And I've never had a problem with rust showing up since then.

But since the only way to clean this rifle would be from the muzzle to the action, and I don't want to be doing this after EVERY time I shoot it. Now I'm very careful when I do do it so that I don't damage the crown (I degreased the rifle first after I got home from buying it before shooting it) but I'm assuming that constantly puting a cleaning rod down the bore from the muzzle to the action EVERY time after your done shooting, then at some point damage may very likely develop over time. And It most likely will happen at the crown due to the constant shoving the cleaning rod down the bore from the muzzle to the action after every single shooting sesson.

Now again, I clean my .308 and my Henry Lever Action .22 everytime I'm done shooting but thats because I clean it from the action to the muzzle which is perfectly fine.

Its just a tad bit different when it comes to cleaning for this specific rifle. So can I just clean it when it starts to malfunction or is it better after each time you shoot it? Right now the gun functions and shoots perfectly fine. I'm just not sure how often to clean this particular rifle, since it can only be done from the muzzle to the action which is kind of a bummer.

Thank you so much! 🙂

Last edited by PANDEMICBANDIT; 05-19-2018 at 06:18 PM.
Old 05-19-2018, 05:21 PM
Tomcat21
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
100% (6)
Get yourself a PatchWorm cleaning kit and clean your rifle from the breech end.
I don't clean my rifles after each range session, usually after 150-200 rounds.....

http://patchworm.com/patchworm.html
Old 05-19-2018, 05:53 PM
tlhodgson
US Army NRA Member - Click Here To Join! Appleseed Member Appleseed Rifleman

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I agree with Tomcat. I don't clean mine after every range trip beyond oiling up the outside to prevent rust. I suggest cleaning your rifle when you start to notice accuracy dropping off. Certainly if it is malfunctioning, a good cleaning is in order.

This rifle is easy to disassemble and clean. The barrel is easily removed from the receiver, so you can give it a good thorough cleaning with a rod from the breach. In fact, you have to do this to clean the bolt and inside the receiver. Keep in mind, you will want to recheck your zero after doing this.

I really like my little 62 (the Stevens branded Savage 64). It is reliable and accurate, and lots of fun to shoot.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-20-2018, 12:52 PM
PANDEMICBANDIT

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by tlhodgson View Post
I agree with Tomcat. I don't clean mine after every range trip beyond oiling up the outside to prevent rust. I suggest cleaning your rifle when you start to notice accuracy dropping off. Certainly if it is malfunctioning, a good cleaning is in order.

This rifle is easy to disassemble and clean. The barrel is easily removed from the receiver, so you can give it a good thorough cleaning with a rod from the breach. In fact, you have to do this to clean the bolt and inside the receiver. Keep in mind, you will want to recheck your zero after doing this.

I really like my little 62 (the Stevens branded Savage 64). It is reliable and accurate, and lots of fun to shoot.

Yea I also really like my 62 as well, and since the whole stock and everything is made of plastic and seperates itself from the rest of the rifle by just removing 2 screws from where the magazine is, I'm planning on spray painting a camo finish onto it, and I even bought a second amendment sticker to put on it 🙂

But yea its a whole lot of fun to shoot, its too much fun that I need to be careful not to shoot all my ammo in one day lol. But as you mentioned if accuracy is starting to drop off then yes, I would go ahead and give it a good clean through or evey 150 - 200 rounds or so whichever is first. And of course if there is some kind of malfunction, then a complete disassemble of the rifle and a full deep through cleaning would probably be needed.

Okay, well thank you guys for all your help I really appreciate it.

I may post pics of the rifle once its finished painted🤗

Last edited by PANDEMICBANDIT; 05-20-2018 at 01:10 PM.
Old 05-21-2018, 11:37 PM
greggkinney

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
once i settled on the best ammo for mine i stoped cleaning the barrel so much and now i just take a bottle brush for baby bottle and use the nipple scrubber and clean the chamber after each range session. a little no9 on the brush and a few spins and pushes then i put a dry patch thru her and then a lightly oiled one and thats it. when i clean the trigger i use zippo fluid. my 100$ 10/22 buster likes a cleam chamber, lightly lubed trigger and a well seasoned (dirty) barrel.
Old 05-22-2018, 09:40 AM
PANDEMICBANDIT

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by greggkinney View Post
once i settled on the best ammo for mine i stoped cleaning the barrel so much and now i just take a bottle brush for baby bottle and use the nipple scrubber and clean the chamber after each range session. a little no9 on the brush and a few spins and pushes then i put a dry patch thru her and then a lightly oiled one and thats it. when i clean the trigger i use zippo fluid. my 100$ 10/22 buster likes a cleam chamber, lightly lubed trigger and a well seasoned (dirty) barrel.

Yeah and thats the thing with the model 62, I did my research and watched quite a bit of youtube videos before buying it. And people were saying that this particular rifle likes to stay oiled. And I can see why, I put less than 100 rounds through it and there is already quite a bit of residue guming up the action, its not terrible but it will build up the more I fire the gun.

Normally I just use a few cotton swabs and some oil and lube it up a bit and then rack the slide a few times to spread the oil and its good to go.

As for the bore I don't do too much cleaning, just about 6 passes with a really small mop and 2-3 drops of gun oil (sometimes a bit more if the gun has been fired alot or if the gun is going to be stored for a little while and not be used) and then I wipe off the rod with a clean rag after each pass so that I'm not bringing gunk or any kind of dirt back into the bore and thats it. And then I would cut 2 small pieces of those rem oil wipes and coat the interior and exterior parts of the gun, wipe off any excess oil if there is any and call it done. Normally I don't dry off the inside of the bore after its clean, I leave it oiled. And its usually a few days or so before I shoot again and so its already dry by then.

I personally already cleaned my 62 even though it was a bit too early to do it anyways, but I know I wont have the time to shoot it for a good while now and so I don't want that residue to dry up in there and then it'll be harder for me to clean it later on (as in many months later).

Now does anyone know how do you check the inside of the bore to make sure its clean or is the only way to do that would be to dissemble the rifle?

I normally just go by feel and check the mop when I'm done cleaning the bore. If its filthy black then that tells me the bore is still dirty and if it comes out clean or even if its got very few small dirty spots on it thats still good enough, but thats just how I do it.

Last edited by PANDEMICBANDIT; 05-22-2018 at 01:40 PM.
Old 05-22-2018, 09:10 PM
greggkinney

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
i have one those little dick type flashlights that clip over a key and its small enough to lock the bolt back and shine it the barrel. i can look down the muzzle and see if t has alot of powder residue.
Old 05-23-2018, 02:03 PM
Fredvon4
US Army Disabled American Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
MY dad taught me to after clean all tools...then he taught me to shoot and hunt... cleaning the toll after every use became a habit,,,then I was drafted and cleaning the tool became even more important before going back in the arms room....so not I am OCD with cleaning

That said I have since learned that some tools work better if NOT brought BACK to factory new every time....BUT IMO all moving and wear parts do need to be clean and properly lubed for proper operation and longer life

Thus on all my 22s I noticed (especially the semi autos) most of my ammo is pretty dirty after 100 or so rounds...so I focus more on the action than the bore

BTW wife got US a Wally world 62F for $99.... I am very happy with the fun and realitivley accurate problem free, so far, rifle
Old 05-23-2018, 03:00 PM
PANDEMICBANDIT

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fredvon4 View Post
MY dad taught me to after clean all tools...then he taught me to shoot and hunt... cleaning the toll after every use became a habit,,,then I was drafted and cleaning the tool became even more important before going back in the arms room....so not I am OCD with cleaning

That said I have since learned that some tools work better if NOT brought BACK to factory new every time....BUT IMO all moving and wear parts do need to be clean and properly lubed for proper operation and longer life

Thus on all my 22s I noticed (especially the semi autos) most of my ammo is pretty dirty after 100 or so rounds...so I focus more on the action than the bore

BTW wife got US a Wally world 62F for $99.... I am very happy with the fun and realitivley accurate problem free, so far, rifle

Lol, the $99 is exactly what I paid for my 62F as well. Well I also paid an extra $100
on top of that $99 because I bought 1000 rounds of .22 lr ammo and some other accessories 🙂

But yea its very accurate for a small little rifle. Can't wait to go rabbit hunting this fall and again in the winter with it!

Last edited by PANDEMICBANDIT; 05-23-2018 at 03:02 PM.
Old 05-23-2018, 03:15 PM
PANDEMICBANDIT

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Well, here is the finished painted rifle.

I don't know about you guys but I personally always keep a snap cap chambered in all my guns when they are stored. I don't know if anyone else does this, but I just don't like storing my guns cocked. It kind of creates a bad habbit because you may end up chambering a live round due to the habbit of always storing your guns cocked and then you check the guns many many months later and you forget that not only are they loaded (if you keep them loaded) but also chambered with a live round and thats how accidents can happen. So I just want be safe and chamber in a snap cap, dry fire it on that snap cap and then its safe to store.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20180523_140546_1527102480194.jpg (91.3 KB, 9 views)
File Type: jpg 20180523_140558_1527102499211.jpg (95.4 KB, 10 views)

Last edited by PANDEMICBANDIT; 05-23-2018 at 03:36 PM.
Old 06-01-2018, 12:42 AM
greggkinney

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
sorry everyone but my post above is supposed to say clip on type lights not dick type. idk i guess the auto correct on my phone changed t
Old 10-13-2019, 09:44 PM
chewy1010
Fire FighterEmergency Medical Technician NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
How do you clean the Henry without cleaning from the muzzle end? Clean the 62 the same way.