Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 09-23-2019, 05:31 PM
FALPhil
US Navy Veteran

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
TX22 Range Report

As I mentioned before, I bought a TX22 at my local LGS over the weekend in a combo deal where I received the TX22, a Rossi RS22, and 500 rounds of Remington Thunderbolt 22LR ammo for the price of the TX22. Then there is the rebate. The example that I purchased seems to be well made with no chatter in the rifling.

This afternoon, I took the pistol to the range after I had cleaned it. For ammo, I took a bulk packaged box of Federal Auto Match.

I put 256 rounds through the pistol with nary a hitch, standing, using a two-hand isosceles hold. Everything worked like it was supposed to. I shot 4 targets - two at 30 feet and two at 45. On the first target, I had to get used to the trigger. It has a long, mushy takeup similar, but not the same as, to a Glock. Just before sear release, the resistance increases dramatically. Without testing it with a trigger gauge, I am going to estimate that the trigger breaks around 4.5 to 5 pounds.

With the first target, I was getting used to the pistol, so it was nothing to write home about. The sights on this pistol are a pretty high visibility three dot model. While they are small, they are easy to see and aim. On the second target at 30 feet, I could see the group tightening up the more I shot. The second target was much better. Out of 64 rounds, all but 4 were in a two inch circle. I am sure that the 4 that were outside the 9 ring were due to me pulling the shots.

The third and fourth targets were 64 rounds each at 45 feet. On the third target, all the rounds were in a 3 inch circle (8 ring) with the vast majority inside two inches (9 ring). The fourth target had 6 out of 64 outside the 8 ring, and at that point, I figured I was experiencing fatigue, since I had not been shooting pistol for the last 6 months.

Overall, I was pleased with the gun's performance. I can see this as the woods handgun I was hoping it would be. The combination of weight, good sights, and capacity mean I will be taking it with me a lot - just as soon as I acquire a holster.

Considering the combo deal in which I bought it, I think the TX22 is an excellent value. It's not a Ruger Mk IV, but then, it was not intended to be. My only major concern is how long the plastic magazines will hold up.

Last edited by FALPhil; 09-23-2019 at 07:09 PM.
Old 09-25-2019, 11:16 AM
wbwanzer
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Glad you're liking yours so far and having good luck with it. You got a sweet deal getting the RS22 thrown in.

The barrel quality seems to be hit or miss. Some folks have had bad barrels, more than once. My first TX22 has mild chattering but it doesn't seem to affect my accuracy or lead fouling in the barrel. I've got 700 rounds through it with zero malfunctions of any sort. I've since bought another in FDE that I've put 200 rounds through with no failures either. It has no chattering at all that I can see. I got this second one for $251 before the $50 rebate. Not bad.

I feel bad for the folks who are experiencing bad barrels. I guess I just got lucky with mine. I'll continue to enjoy them until something goes wrong. Hopefully that doesn't happen.

Last edited by wbwanzer; 09-25-2019 at 11:19 AM.
Old 10-02-2019, 03:27 PM
FALPhil
US Navy Veteran

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
I was just now reading the TX-22 Bad Barrel thread.

I just wanted to say that when I cleaned my TX-22 after 256 rounds, there was almost no leading and it all came out with a Kleen Bore Lead Away patch cut off the cloth.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-03-2019, 07:01 PM
wscato

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
No issues with mine either. I put almost a 1000 rounds through it suppressed.
Old 10-04-2019, 11:56 AM
FALPhil
US Navy Veteran

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by wscato View Post
No issues with mine either. I put almost a 1000 rounds through it suppressed.
What suppressor are you using?

I'm looking for one that has steel or titanium baffles. Looking seriously at the Dead Air Mask.
Old 10-04-2019, 02:44 PM
wscato

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I have the Dead Air Mask. Get it. You won't regret it.
Old 11-13-2019, 09:45 AM
timberbeast
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (39)
With mine, I've put more than 1000 rounds though it, no leading issues, and I have NOT cleaned the barrel with anything other than a couple of passes with a boresnake. After about 200 rounds, it started shooting really well, and so I am going to shoot it until the groups open up.

At the price of the gun, if it lasts for 5000 rounds, I'll have spent more on ammo than the pistol.