Took my new TCR22 to my gravel pit range today. - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 10-03-2019, 05:49 PM
ironglow
US Army Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Took my new TCR22 to my gravel pit range today.

First time out..no scope yet, used the stock sights. I wasn't able to bench the rifle, since I didn't bring my bench with me.
. When I fired Federal lightning, Federal bulk HP, CCI Mini Mag solids, Remington subsonics, Aguila subsonics, Winchester subsonics, Aguila 60gr sniper subsonics, Federal Spitfire 31gr hyper, as well as my old favorite..CCI standard velocities...and all functioned and fed well.

CCI CB caps and CCI quiets required the action to be hand loaded.

The action was smoother than any stock 10/22 I have ever owned (IMO)

It is an overcast day here, rain on and off, and that green luminous front sight worked very well.

I had no bench, bags, sling or bipod. So I stood at the 50 yard line and popped head/shoulder silhouettes with regularity, no matter which ammo..same goes for a wallet sized swinging target
The trigger is pretty decent, but I may decide to hand over the bolt and trigger group to my gunsmith grandson, for accurizing and cleaning up..just to work his "magic' on the steel, even though it appears more finely machined than a stock 10/22.

If I decide to go full out, I may get a rubber Hogue stock..along with a choice barrel. ..But all that remains to be seen.

Is all sugar & roses with my TCR22? No, not in my opinion ! That magazine is a royal PITA as I see it. I'm glad I took a couple spare 10/22 mags with me, or I would not have completed the test without getting mighty frustrated. !

That little steel angle to be depressed upon loading, is a pain in the thumb, and I found myself getting the first round joined magazine, more often than not.

Once that magazine is shot empty, it is a real struggle to get out of the gun. Push the trip lever forward, then start clawing at the magazine..lots of luck !

On the other hand, the 10/22 magazines worked very well..so I will likely stick to the 10/22 magazines.
I do not normally go to a range somewhere, and burn through boxes of ammo. I normally sight my gun in, then use it for hunting..and with normal hunting how often does one burn through 10 rounds with a single kill?

Old 10-04-2019, 01:48 AM
marvin02

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Congratulations on the new rifle. I've been looking at the TCR22 but ended up buying another 10/22.

Are you holding down the loading lever for all of the rounds? My understanding is that you only need to hold it down for the first round.

I think the last shot bolt hold open puts pressure on the mag. Try locking the bolt back with the bolt hold open lever by the trigger guard and then removing the mag.
Old 10-04-2019, 10:34 AM
ironglow
US Army Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by marvin02 View Post
Congratulations on the new rifle. I've been looking at the TCR22 but ended up buying another 10/22.

Are you holding down the loading lever for all of the rounds? My understanding is that you only need to hold it down for the first round.

I think the last shot bolt hold open puts pressure on the mag. Try locking the bolt back with the bolt hold open lever by the trigger guard and then removing the mag.
Yes, I am just holding the lever down for just the first round, and sometimes the round gets jammed behind the little "wall" on the rotary divider..then I have to wiggle & jiggle, just to get that round out.
I will however, try your idea for removing the magazine from the rifle..that is, if I use that magazine again..LOL