Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 09-26-2019, 08:31 AM
1911CCW
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Bearcat stainless ejector rod housing

I know this topic has been beat to death in the past but I am in the market for a new model stainless bearcat. I understand that Ruger installs them with aluminum ejector rod housings which scratch easily and don't look right against the stainless barrel. I went on a search for a company that currently makes a replacement stainless ejector rod housing but it seems that they have all stopped. I read somewhere that they put a steel one on the blued model but when I was on ebay looking at blued ones a seller described the material as aluminum rather than steel. Can somebody with a blued new model confirm this? If it is steel I was thinking of sanding down the finish on the outside so it looks like stainless and then put a protective clear coat over the top. My last resort option would be to machine a new one. I work in a machine shop and it is completely possible to do but has the potential to be quite a pain. It is a fairly complex part requiring several different machining operations. Any help would be much appreciated. If somebody knows of a current place that makes stainless ejector rod housings I am all ears.
Old 09-26-2019, 12:35 PM
bearcatter

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
If you're buying new, or newer than about 2016, there's nothing to change.

All New Bearcats made now already have blued steel, or stainless steel, ejector rod housings. I think Ruger made the change at some point in 2016. New Bearcats before then had anodized aluminum housings, like most of the Old Models.

Ruger sells blued or stainless housings for around $48, IIRC. They are fairly simple to change out with a properly fitting screwdriver and blue thread lock. Just be careful to not bend the rod or kink the spring.

My two stainless New Bearcats were made in 2011, and they sport housings by EWK Arms, one of the makers who no longer does. One of mine:

http://rugerforum.net/pictures/showfull.php?photo=678

Last edited by bearcatter; 09-26-2019 at 02:05 PM.
Old 09-26-2019, 01:32 PM
wproct

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Sounds like Bearcatter has your answer for you. My 2015 blued steel Single-Six has the steel ejector housing and is really nice. I had owned single-six revolvers in the past that had the aluminum housing, mechanically it served the purpose but would get nicked up and didn't look good. Steel holds the finish better plus adds a little weight on the front of the revolver which for me is a good thing.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-26-2019, 06:10 PM
linux_author
US Coast Guard Veteran

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
howdy bearcatter!

and yes, my new Bearcat Shopkeeper is all stainless, and so are the other stainless Bearcats...

i really like my Shopkeeper!

willie
on the Gulf of Mexico
Old 09-26-2019, 09:37 PM
bearcatter

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Now where have I seen "linux_author" before? Maybe on our other favorite forum?......
Old 09-26-2019, 10:50 PM
1911CCW
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Thanks guys for the replies. That is a great thing that they now use steel ejector rod housings. I am glad they listened to their customers. That gives me peace of mind about buying a new one from the gun store.
Old 09-27-2019, 10:05 AM
bearcatter

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
When I first thought of getting a Bearcat, the ejector housing was the only negative. Had there not been aftermarket housings with good reviews, I doubt I'd have bought one. Then, adding Wolff springs made them "perfect", at least for me....

Some things, Ruger is a little slow catching on. Aluminum housings are probably easier to make, and they do make Bearcats lighter, by a whole 2 ounces. Not worth the ugly.