Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 09-23-2019, 07:04 PM
hunting909

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
A little competition for the 15-22 ?

I see that Rock River Arms is now making some .22 lr AR's that look to be very similar to the 15-22. However, the Rock River AR's can be bought made out of either Polymer or Aluminum. Has anyone shot any of these guns and had a chance to compare them to the 15-22? I know the RRA centerfires have an outstanding reputation of being made well, and shooting extremely well. I was thinking that the fact that they are making their .22's with aluminum uppers and lowers may make them more accurate than the 15-22 ? Just wondering. Thanks!
Old 09-23-2019, 09:07 PM
Okiedokie1959
US Air Force Veteran GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Have you seen them for sale somewhere ?
Old 09-24-2019, 07:01 AM
hunting909

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Have you seen them for sale somewhere ?

No. That's the problem. AR sales are really depressed around here and the local gun stores (even the larger chain stores) are not willing to order any on the hopes that someone will buy it. They are on Rock River Arm's website. Calling the company confirmed that they are available, but they aren't putting out any specifics on how they are put together, or how well they shoot. I enjoy my 15-22, but am not opposed to upgrading it either- if the RRA gun is an upgrade?? Don't know, but am trying to figure it out.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-24-2019, 09:13 AM
zukiphile
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (6)
Quote:
Originally Posted by hunting909 View Post
I was thinking that the fact that they are making their .22's with aluminum uppers and lowers may make them more accurate than the 15-22 ? Just wondering. Thanks!
What makes the RRA item more accurate is the aluminium upper, not the lower. I've used polymer lowers on accurate AR15s. I like them.

That a S&W 15-22 has a polymer lower doesn't mean that it will be directly comparable to an actual AR in 22lr. Your S&W uses an excellent magazine system and has a working last round bolt hold open. The RRA has neither attribute unless you modify it.

Your S&W has a polymer upper receiver into which the barrel is fit. This means that the barrel and optic are connected by flexible polymer. That isn't a formula for very good accuracy. Shot from a rest, people can get good groups from the S&W. Sling up or put any sort of odd pressure into it and the POI necessarily wanders.

The dominant pattern for ARs in 22lr currently seems to be the CMMG pattern BCG and barrel. (This pattern also doesn't use S&W magazines or have a LRBHO unless modified for those, but the parts used for those modifications are available and well tested.) The advantage of using the dominant pattern is that it isn't only made by CMMG. RRA seems to be using something else, and I don't know if anyone else makes parts for it, or if it is compatible with anyone's bolt hold open systems.

RRA aren't the only non-CMMG pattern product. Nordic makes or made several different generations of 22lr upper receivers (for an AR, not for a 15-22), 2A Armament makes a BCG and Barrel, and Tactical Solutions makes complete uppers, and there is an air rifle outfit that makes its own 22lr rifle and magazines, Tippmann. RRA seems less expensive than those options, but has the disadvantage of apparently not existing in the retail market yet.

Last edited by zukiphile; 09-24-2019 at 10:55 AM.