Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 04-19-2019, 10:23 PM
Flash_80

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Installed Volquartsen barrel today

Installed the VQ barrel on my cousin's 15-22 today. Not too bad really, the toughest part was getting the flash hider off of the stock barrel. We had to pad up the part of the barrel that is exposed in a vice and crank it off. Somehow got it without gouging the barrel any. First thing I noticed after we got it all back together was that at first, there was some upward tension on the bolt from the ejector. If you eased the bolt back down, it would not go fully into battery. This went away quickly, and we really didn't have any issues with it. Ran probably 150rds or so through it. Seems like it will be very accurate, but still has the crappy stock trigger, and we were using a 6MOA C-More Railway, so it wasn't like we were going to be getting any pinpoint groups. We manly just shot at 3-5" steel targets after the sight in. It is EXTREMELY lightweight now. Feels like a toy. I might think its maybe too light for my tastes. Fit and finish was superb.

A few things I learned for anyone doing one of these.

1. - the supplied barrel wrench did not seat easily in the lugs of the barrel nut. I just lined them up, and tapped on it a little with a small rubber mallet and it seated right up.

2. Breaking the barrel nut loose initially took quite a bit of torque. We did it as a 2 man job, one holding, one turning. Once free, it screwed out with little resistance.

3. - Most important in my mind, as we screwed the barrel nut off, the wrench did make contact with the factory barrel as it was turning, and it did put some scratches on it. Before putting the carbon fiber barrel on, I wrapped it in some thick paper and taped it on to form a protective sleeve. This kept us from putting any scratches on there while threading the nut back into place. I would recommend doing the same when removing the factory barrel.
Old 04-19-2019, 10:29 PM
chomorro

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Hmmm interesting. I have. Cmc ar trigger on mine and would like some better accuracy. Did you have the magpul slim handgaurd version?

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
Old 04-20-2019, 10:29 PM
Flash_80

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Whatever came on a Sport in 2017.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-25-2019, 07:20 PM
kp321
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
A couple of comments, the ejector needs to be adjusted. Most of the factory barrels I have worked with have needed the ejector tweaked to be 100% reliable.
I use the Tacticool adapter nut and install a cheap free float tube on my 15-22's. This gives them a more solid feel and adds weight forward.
Even with the excellent CMC trigger my rifles are not "match" accurate. I might try the Volquartsen barrel in the future in search of the accurate combination. Would like to have a 15-22 that shoots as well as my 10-22 bull barrel.