charles Daly by Zastava - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 11-27-2018, 11:29 AM
rala
US Navy Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (4)
charles Daly by Zastava

Hi:

Need some help with a new gun show accuisition. Charles Daly by Zastava 22lr. Beautiful metal work, Stock will be a winter project. When I shot the rifle it grouped well enough to tell me it has potential. However I kept getting fliers. I noticed wax shavings on the sides of the nose of the magazine. I cycled several varieties of ammo thru the mags and saw marks on some rounds. I've searched the forum and found several reference to tuning the mags, but no specifics. Being a die hard High Standard fan I know the drill, but wanted to check before I start bending metal.

Thanks
Bob
Old 11-27-2018, 12:40 PM
Big_Fisherman

TPC Rating: 
100% (8)
These two threads may be helpful:

https://www.rimfirecentral.com/forum...agazine&page=3

https://www.rimfirecentral.com/forum...astava+trigger
Old 11-27-2018, 02:18 PM
rala

TPC Rating: 
100% (4)
Thanks - I'll check them out.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-27-2018, 05:02 PM
Antonio

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
No need to cut the spring; just hook the folded tip of each side against the next lower "turn" of the coil and will have pretty much the same effect without removing any piece of wire.
Sanding very lightly the lips of the magazine to remove tiny burrs and taking them apart to clean the inside and parts (Mine came coated with a thick film of hardened grease) will also help them to work properly. Avoid even the slightest pressure against the inserted mag when firing or you'll experience failures to feed.

Finally, check proper feeding and extracting with all kinds of ammo; ours dislike any Winchester brand ammo with recurrent failures to extract and bullet shaving, while Remingtons (Thunderbolts & Golden Bullets) and Federals will run perfectly.
Old 11-27-2018, 10:25 PM
rala

TPC Rating: 
100% (4)
So if I spend an hour and a half polishing the beaver teeth marks out of the magazine feed lips, and bending the springs on 2 mags. does that make me a bad person?

feeds much smoother now. I'll see if it helps with the flyers next range session.

Thanks for the help.
Old 11-28-2018, 07:23 AM
LDBennett
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
When I have to adjust mag lips I first remove the firing pin. If it is a semi-auto then I remove the recoil spring. This allows me to cycle the bolt by hand, slowly at first and eventually as fast as I can manage. I can then use live ammo (preferably at the range with the gun pointed down range).

The rear lips control the attitude of the bullet at first and the front lips keep the nose of the bullet under control. By working slowly and working up the speed of operating the bolt you can eventually get there. At home I can start the lip adjusting process with dummy rounds but they never have the same dimensionality of live ammo. Near perfect adjustment for one ammo may be terrible for another so limit your lip adjusting to one ammo for best results. If others feed well then you won.

There will always me some marks on the bullet as they enter the chamber. The nose gets put into the center of the chamber then slides against the top of the chamber wall. Soft lead bullets will be marked to one degree or another because in most guns the angularity of the bullet entrance is so high. Pistols are the worst about this and guns with little to no feed ramp are terrible about feeding and marking the lead bullet.

LDBennett
Old 12-01-2018, 01:19 PM
chicharrones

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by rala View Post
So if I spend an hour and a half polishing the beaver teeth marks out of the magazine feed lips, and bending the springs on 2 mags. does that make me a bad person?

feeds much smoother now. I'll see if it helps with the flyers next range session.

Nope.

Last edited by chicharrones; 12-08-2018 at 11:42 AM.
Old 12-03-2018, 03:39 PM
varmit hunter67
US Army Veteran Law Enforcement Officer NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Rem. Mdl Five

I have the Rem Mdl Five version of the rifle you have, plus a Zastava CZ99 .22 LR.
The Mdl Five is the most accurate rifle I own. It outshoots my CZs 452 & Silhouette], Savage MKII, etc. Sub 1/2 in at 50 yd.s and sub 1 in at a 100.

I have dropped starlings off high lines out to 120 yd. with head shots. Just an amazing rifle. The Zastava M22 22WMR I purchased more recently is shooting as well as better as anything I have read about here on RFC on the .22 WMR platform.

They may be a little rough in the firing pin area, but I have posted tips that resolved any FTFs with some simple tweeking of the firing pin train in the bolt. The metal work is fantastic, the Mdl Five is built like a tank with the laminated stock. I swapped the stock of my CZ99 and put a Stocky's Stock on it. I got the unfinished one on sale for a song, and finished it out to a near perfect twin to the Rem Mdl Five.

I think you will be more and more impressed as you shoot it. I have found mine to be ammo friendly with most anything, but I have settled in to the Aguila SE HV. 40 gr. I was shooting only the lead 40 gr., but now all that is available is the Cu-washed 40 gr. Shoots just as well. The trigger has been smoothed out at just under 3 lb.s. The other Zastava doesn't have as many rounds through it. I bought it at Cabella's a couple years back for $150 OTD. Accuracy on it seems just as good. I just need to shoot it a little more.

Enjoy your Zastavas. The are a great rifles. Check Ebay, etc for magazines. I bought 3 from Cabela's a few years ago for $15 dollars. They may need a little adjustment, too wide in the front lips, but other than that, no problems. Enjoy!

VH
Old 12-04-2018, 10:26 AM
edlmann
US Air Force Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by varmit hunter67 View Post
I have the Rem Mdl Five version of the rifle you have, plus a Zastava CZ99 .22 LR. . . . Check Ebay, etc for magazines.
Or, Numrich/Gun Parts Corp..
Old 12-09-2018, 10:32 PM
Ranger61

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
I found that the finish they put on the wood stock of my Charles Daly was just terrible. I finally sanded the finish off and it gummed up the sandpaper something awful. But once I got all the old finish off and put a nice Danish wood finish on, the wood had very nice grain and it looks every bit as good as the metal work. Getting the old finish off was very hard work but worth the effort in my case.
Old 12-10-2018, 08:20 AM

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I remember reading these rifles have a stock akin to a used railroad tie. I wasn't expecting much when I stripped mine. The color is not consistent and I like that. There are a few shades of golden brown that in my opinion give the stock character. Much better than the straight brown stained finish they come with.

Last edited by 56S; 12-10-2018 at 08:30 AM.
Old 12-21-2018, 02:40 PM
Sailormilan2

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
K-VAR has some 10 Rd mags at a very good price.

Last edited by Sailormilan2; 12-21-2018 at 02:50 PM.
Old 12-23-2018, 01:20 PM
chicharrones

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailormilan2 View Post
K-VAR has some 10 Rd mags at a very good price.

Thanks for the tip. It looks like they have .17HMR/.22WMR mags in inventory, too.

https://www.k-var.com/magazine-for-z...rifle-9-rounds

https://www.k-var.com/magazine-for-z...-17-hmr-rifles