Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 11-09-2018, 07:26 PM
Skooter22

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Bearcat grips question

I own a Shopkeeper with curved grip and do not have access to a standard grip Bearcat. What I'm wondering is, if someone is handy with woodworking, could the standard grip be modified to fit the Shopkeeper?

If the screw is in the same location it seems it would be as simple as removing excess wood on the back bottom edge of the standard grip and refinishing.

What say ye Bearcat experts?
Old 11-10-2018, 10:19 AM
bearcatter

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skooter22 View Post
I own a Shopkeeper with curved grip and do not have access to a standard grip Bearcat. What I'm wondering is, if someone is handy with woodworking, could the standard grip be modified to fit the Shopkeeper?

If the screw is in the same location it seems it would be as simple as removing excess wood on the back bottom edge of the standard grip and refinishing.

What say ye Bearcat experts?
I've read several cases where that was done. Seems a lot of work to avoid the cost of a ready-made set? Maybe you want to modify a fancy standard set that's not available for the Shopkeeper?

One nice feature of the Bearcat is that the mainspring seat serves as a spacer between the grips, to help prevent over tightening that cracks a grip.

It's a shame that the current grips do not fit as well as they once did when Lett made them for Ruger.
Old 11-10-2018, 06:52 PM
Skooter22

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Yeah the reason is most aftermarket grips seem to be for the standard version, and not alot out there for the Shopkeeper. What I really need to do is find a source for the ferrules and screws so I can make my own grips from the ground up. Have done quite alot of 1911 gripmaking and checkering years ago and it kinda bugs me to have anyone else's grips (even Ruger's) on my guns.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-10-2018, 07:23 PM

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skooter22 View Post
What I really need to do is find a source for the ferrules and screws so I can make my own grips from the ground up.
I have made a few sets for my single six's. Here is where I found screws, and escutcheons . http://www.tombstonegrips.com/mm5/me..._Code=Hardware

I have also seen a smaller offering at Brownells.
Old 11-15-2018, 07:54 AM
chicharrones
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Interesting. I've thought about the same thing with my Shopkeeper.

All I came up with was buying standard bearcat grips and filling in the backstrap gap with wood glued and fitted to the regular grips. Then an overall refinish. Probably an ugly result, but could be useful in filling out the hand?