Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner

Steyr Pro Hunter

1K views 15 replies 3 participants last post by  284wahoo 
#1 · (Edited)
OK, since somebody asked ;)

Idea, purchase, setup

Was looking at a Merkel Helix (standard). On sale for $2K. Figured a .243 win. All sold out.

I have a 700 ADL that does OK, but wanted something nicer. So with that a no go, looked at the Steyr CLII. $1500.
In researching those I found the Pro Hunter was discontinued and on sale. For about 40% off (599 plus shipping).

No .25-06 to be had. No .243 either. Bummer

Hunted a crappy monsoon deer opener the yr or two before w #1 RSI. Sucked. So that, and the fact I haven't gone elk hunting...........thought a do all
synth .30-06 might be an OK buy. Why not? Martin Retting in CA had em, guy on phone was cool and the deal smooth.

Not much info on the web about these rifles. Looked a fair bit and am not totally clueless. Did not like the side scallop/relief of the Talley scope base.
IIRC there is a Magnum action, long, short and maybe even super short. Letter designations not obvious. I went to some european scope/ring site and
was able to figure out what base I needed. Made by Recknagel.

Now who had them stateside? Looked and looked and discovered, NECG.
Again a smooth and quick transaction. Sweet.

The base is kind of tall, Picatinny. Medium Burris Signature Zee rings I like. Have them on other rifles. They are the lowest of the Signature Zees (plastic insert).

There was some worry on the web about scope clearance w the "butterknife bolt". I don't like the monster eyepieces some euro and other scopes have. Must be
what they use, because my reg eyepiece Leupold cleared by a lot.

Could not pull the trigger on a Hawke or other Chinese made optic. Was thinking VX3i 3.5-10X 40mm. My 3-9X VX1 showed too much gap up front.
So I got one of the Redfield Revolution 3-9X50mm to try. Discontinued, on sale :)

Reg low Zee rings might make it look right w a 40mm objective scope.
The receiver looks "fat" and a 1" scope looks thin, by my eye.

To each his own.

See less See more
#2 · (Edited)
The 50mm looks better (lesser bell to bbl gap). But the 50mm objective means more taper, less front tube .
Playing this game, one could be in for a headache w two pc bases. The pic rail allows easy fitting.
The scope height is usable, but I'd like it lower. The stock (for me) will need a mild cheekpad. Maybe Europeans shoot more head upright.
Hey I'm only half Greek ;)

The rifle came w 1 mag and some places wanted a decent chunk for a spare. Rifle also came w a hard rubber/plastic recoil pad. They make a softer one.
MGW had both, at considerable savings compared to other places. Ordered and they came fast, another smooth transaction.

Assembled...........the thing is a pig. Heavy rifle, steel rings (aluminum base) and the 50mm scope. Its not a wee bit heavy. Nope. It's a freakin' tank.

Could be a deal breaker for many I reckon. But that brute is pleasant from the bench

The trigger? Can't find much on adjusting it. It isn't the lightest and has that Euro take up. Breaks OK, but takes getting used to.
Safety is on tang and is rotary.... and can lock bolt. Pretty cool.

Rifle bbl is hammer forged, looks neat, seems to get hot quick though. Stock is ugly but stiff enough. Rifle has a 1" guarantee at 100 yards. Metal has anti
corrosion finish, forget what they call it. Kinda grey looking.

Using WW reg 150gr factory ammo, I shot it at 50, adjusted and took to the 100. Bore was cleaned before use and wiped dry.
I think it's had 10 shots through it, and was zeroed 1" high at 100. 3 shots at an inch. Reportedly it should do better. But that may require better ammo.
Or breaking in LOL

Plan is to try .....

WW150gr
WW Deer Season XP
Federal Fusion
Rem 165 Corelok

I don't remember what grain the others are, just been stocking up. 150-165 for deer. Elk, if I ever go, 180's.

Normally I zero off a bipod w a front suede bag used at the rear (Allen). Have gotten half inch groups from a few sporters this way (repeatable).
Dunno if that a legit method for this rifle since it will be shot without bipod.

Deer season this past yr had me run the '63 Remington 760 in .35 rem.
It wears a 4X Leupold compact and is about perfect for deer under 150 yards.
Wanted to blood the Steyr but not enough antlerless. Never took it to the field.
Buds w other property didn't hunt much, so that and work, schedule just didn't allow for doe pop.

#4 · (Edited)
My OCD has the red on the Redfield bothering me.
a 30mm Leupold VXR might be the way to go.

Have cut back on stuff over the years, don't have much anymore, but all my other optics have a gold ring. Silly yes, but that's the way it is.

Should I get a Steiner G3, well my whole system will be screwed up. Guy at the club had a 1-5X ? Steiner on his AR.............breathtaking.
Think it was around $1500.

If I go low Burriz Zee and a VX3i I might be able to swing a new Python this summer.
Elk hunting is definitely a no go this yr. Maybe not for a couple yrs. Just not physically able. Need some spine work done.

#5 ·
I'd like to smoke this guy w a Blackwidow recurve come October (first we've seen of him, Jan 1, couple hrs before we checked cams).
But if I don't, he might be the first kill w the Steyr. I'm guessing 125 gross now, dunno how big he will be (also got a slightly smaller,
wider 8 pt on cam).

#6 ·
Thanks for the Steyr Starter

CD2, Thanks so much for the good info on your Steyr. I think you are right about your pig being able to go smaller than 1" @ 100 yards. Almost sure it will on the right day for you and the right ammo.

I am a huge fan and long-time user of Fusion ammo. I started using it shortly after Federal introduced it and have killed my very best and many other deer with it. It shoots 0.375 MOA in my Winchester Featherweight 270 WSM, year after year. Admittedly, the rifle is not stock factory anymore. I had a recessed target crown cut and Acraglass bedded it to get groups under 0.75" @ 200 yards. God granted me gracious harmonics on this rifle.

My son has killed four deer with Fusion bullets in 357 Magnum and one with .30-06 Tikka T3 Hunter with Fusion Lite (Low Recoil) ammo. Supposedly half the recoil of regular load, but uses a 170 grain Fusion bullet.

Your beast hardly needs such taming given its weight so I would recommend trying the regular speed Fusions in 150 and 165 grain. I plan on trying out the 165 Fusions myself next time I shoot the Tikka .30-06.

To say that I can recommend with confidence the killing performance of Fusion bullets is an understatement.

#7 ·
"My OCD has the red on the Redfield bothering me." Couldn't help but laugh at this. I was thinking "The red on the turret is what bothers you about a Redfield Revolution!" Just busted out laughing.

But you don't have to buy a Steiner to upgrade from a Revolution. Your Steyr is worthy of one of the higher end Leupolds. But there are a lot of scopes between Redfield and and $500 that would work well on your Pro Hunter. I only gave $300 for the Bushnell Nitro 5-20X44 on my Sauer and so far I am really happy with the clarity and the Deploy MIL reticle. I also have an Engage 4-16X with the Deploy MOA reticle--but I think so far I like the Deploy MIL reticle better for my own hunting purposes. Target shooters might prefer the Deploy MOA. But the glass on both the Engage and the Nitro is far better than one usually gets for $300.

#8 ·
OP, you did good getting the Pro Hunter!, but why on earth if you were contemplating $2k or more on rifle originally, and got a great deal in the Steyr, would you low ball it on the optics? That rifle deserves a good German scope! Leica, Zeiss, Swarrovski. Or a higher end Leupold. Spend as much or more on a quality optic as you did on the rifle. IMHO

#9 · (Edited)
The scope was purchased to get something on it, for evaluation and to see what direction i wanted to ultimately go w an optic. Fixed 6x,. 2.5-10x, 1.5-6x.....illuminated reticle or not, 30 mm or not. The Redfield got me something on there for the hunting season quick, and if i kept it, would not be bad on a nightime.- ish AR for yotes.

I am still undecided on what optic it will ultimately wear. VXR 3-9x, Vx3i 40mm 3.5-10x or Steiner G3.

Alas, it never went afield. Maybe try some yotes w it as is.

Silly maybe, but the first scope you put on a rifle doesnt mean it has to be the last scope you put on that rifle.

#11 ·
I dont drive a Defender 120. I have a beater 98 Grand Cherokee. It goes through saplings and stickerbushes and hauls my deer out fine.

Am not shacked up w some supermodel. But i dont powerheave my cereal in the morning when she sits by me without makeup.

And while i dont have any Alpha glass on my rigs, have killed a ton of critters w older sub VX3 Leupolds. Never a lost shot opp either. VXR or VX3i good enough for me. Buddy got a VX6.

For punching paper.

To each his own. I have never given a crap about impressing people. Not gonna start now either LOL.

#12 ·
Thanks for the vote for Fusion 'bark.
Picked up five boxes on sale. 150s.

Nice deer btw. What knife is laying on the one? Am on phone and can't see it very well.

Better scope for the Steyr this summer and a new Python the plan. Roofer came out today so there goes my play money for a while.

Skinner peep going 1928 Remington model 14 in .35 rem tomorrow.try to figure out what height new front i need. May not keep very long, depends on how i like it.

#13 · (Edited)
Look at the Prohunter.

Its a freaking truck gun IMHO. It aint pretty and its plastic. As such I cant see slapping super glass on it. My $ would be 600 tops.

IIRC the G3 assembled in US.

Even if there some clash of cultures, a VX3i IMHO would not be horrible. Heck i might buy two and put one on my ADL synth LOL.

Putting the Redfield on did show me ring positions, heights....bolt clearance. Kinda flying in the dark before, because not much decent info on the web ( and I looked ).

Its usable as it sits, but not ideal ( yet ). Am very picky about fitting. It makes shooting movers easy.

#14 · (Edited)
The stock on the older models reportedly would flex. This one seems plenty stiff. Texture seems decent too. But......and this may be a biggie......the stock ergonomics are different. Doesn't feel bad.....but has an odd feel. May take some getting used to.

And i switch guns and its never been a big deal.

Lever, auto, pump, bolt, break open.
Different but all felt good, in a similar way.

The Prohunter just feels substantially different. Weight? Texture? Balance? Dims?

Strongly suggest one handle a PH before buying. I did. Figured it doable.

#16 ·
I hear ya on the new roof thing! Went there myself this past spring. Agree that a beater gun isn’t the place to park a high end optic if it’s expected to get thrashed from abuse, but if by beater you mean “tool for serious work”, then the high end optics are another ball game in terms of how well that tool can perform. It’s amazing how much you don’t know you aren’t seeing, until you get behind great glass, in the field, with low or no light.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.