Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner

Off Season 25 Yard Scoped CZ/BRNO Rimfire Benchrest Match

6K views 83 replies 13 participants last post by  SourMash77 
#1 ·
Why not a new thread? Better than cluttering up December's match post. RD came over today to bring me a few things and brought his 452 as well. I know he had been practicing on decent days cause he has been sending me pictures of targets, all in the high 240s. I think he just came over to brag today. Anyway, he shot a practice target and had a good score, right about where he had been shooting at home. I hadn't shot my 452 American since the last of December and had since put a different spring in so, since the backer board was up, I decided to shoot just to see how it really felt. First time I had shot in over a month, it was pretty cool with the shop door open even with the heater running and I wasn't really taking the time I should have nor paying absolute attention to all aspects of shooting. How's that for a list of excuses? Not quite as good as I shot in December but as Maxwell Smart used to say, "missed it by just this much". I really like that trigger.

#4 · (Edited)
Glad you got some trigger time, Lee, but when you shoot 249's you don't need much practice.....:t

I'm getting my scoped rifle for this season tuned up. It's a 2007 513 that I found at a local pawn shop. Doubt if that will scare any of you folks with the high end CZ's but the little sawed-off rascal is fairly accurate and a lot of fun to shoot. First time with a scope, it shot a 242-4x. Not very impressive but until the last row I had only dropped 3 points. On that row I had 2 misfires then a 7 and two 8's. Got a new FP spring on the way.

Hank

#7 ·
Glad I started this. Just glad to know you guys are still on this side of the grass. Maybe some of the other shooters will check in soon.

On another note, most of you would know that I shoot SK Std+, mainly cause it's moderately cheap. RD was talking about ordering a brick of SK from Brownell's, where usually does business and when we looked it was $60/brick. I told him he needed to go ahead and get a case from Target Sports and went to their site to check the price........ $50/brick. Then I saw "Rebate Available". Hit that button and it said "$5 off per brick, $100 maximum". I getting ready to buy a case, he is too. Then we look at the rebate details and it ended Jan. 1......... and it was out of stock anyway. The rebate was on all SK ammo. Hope somebody saw it in time.

#14 ·
Squirrel......... since you mentioned it, I had to go look. Quite a beautiful rifle and some impressive targets. If I could get a 50 yd. target to look like that I'd be really happy. I feel sorry for the deer in Arkansas this fall. There may not be any left when you finish.

#15 ·
Lee, You're not kidding. Previous season I didn't see any deer I wanted to kill, so I went home with empty coolers. Then after two back surgeries last Spring I had so much blood-wrath stored up that I killed the first two legal bucks I saw and then after I got back home I crossbowed a doe in the back yard.

I don't know if I will be able to get my marksmanship back up to what it was before the surgeries, but I do know for sure that I am not done hunting and will keep trying to recover full strength and steadiness. The more often I get out and do physical stuff, the better I seem to feel.

I hope that the whole CZ Match bunch stays active as possible and healthy so we can all enjoy each others experience, failures and successes. Which reminds me, lasttombstone is still the reigning CZ Scoped Rifle Champion. :D

#16 ·
Squirrel, i have no doubt that come spring and the resumption of the matches you will once again be at the top of the list. No need to try and lull the rest of us into a false sense of security thinking we won't have to contend with your superior abilities. It's not gonna work.

As far as critters, I think I drew blood twice so far this year on to tree rats. Not much, but have been in the woods with a young lady (young to me, LOL) who is trying to get into the outdoors activities and haven't taken any of the shots when she was with me. Unfortunately, she has only connected once but that was a big thing to her. If I could just get her to look in the right tree...........

#18 ·
I finely managed to shoot some yesterday. Met with two friends at the gun club to practice for a monthly match that we have. Didn't shoot any green monsters but did get two rifles sighted in at 40, 60, 80, and 100 yds. One of the rifles I got back in December I had not shot past 25 yds. It's not a CZ so I can't name it here but it's initials are MPR. It's definitely a keeper.
Dan

#19 ·
After spending the last 2 weeks cleaning a lot of my stuff I decided i would try to shoot a little this afternoon since it wasn't raining nor gale force winds. Wouldn't you know it......... as soon as I got set up it started raining. I had put a good cleaning on my CZs and needed a few rounds to get things back to where they were supposed to be so I went ahead and shot the 452 Silhouette a bit. I discovered that SK does not shoot well in the rain. If I could have kept it close to the center I would have had a great score but they weren't quite centered so the 30 cal. hole that was being torn in the wet target all seemed to go away from the 10 ring. Managed a 241 and was just getting warmed up good when the bottom fell out so I called it a day. Pretty days are just around the corner. Hope everyone is doing well and getting ready for April.

#20 ·
Lee, If ya want a better score on the GM in the rain, just use a bigger caliber:D
Rain, wind, rain, wind...wind, rain, wind rain. I'm so bored. I want to test some new ammo with lighter bullets in my new Creedmoor but I'm not going to waste ammo trying to test it while the wind is blowing too hard. That and it is cold here again.

So what do you guys do when it is too cold, wet and windy to shoot?

#23 ·
^^^.... Been the same here. I did get one day of shooting in, although brief, but it was still cool to me....... high 40s. I have been going through all my toys and cleaning them really good, which is something I had thought I had been but after the things I have learned here, I wasn't doing such a good job. That bore scope confirmed my worst fears. Some of the things I have had for 30 years + I would have been ashamed for anyone to really look at. I have pretty much gone through everything but now a friend wanted me to put a scope on a Henry .22 for him. When I went to pick it up it turned into 5 with all different things to be done to them. So, I'll be happily piddling in the shop for a few more days.

#33 ·
Just recieved a new to me scope for my 455. Its a Mueller 8x32x44. Its gonna be soo much better to look through it at the GM even at only 9 power. I struggled with that little 2x7x33 rimfire. I'm gonna have a friendly competition with my wife tomorrow, her and the T1X vs me and the 455. Hope everyone has been doing good.

#36 ·
God willing, the wind will subside enough that I can don rubber boots and go to the public range on Friday to do some more ammo testing to settle on the best deer ammo for my new Sauer 6.5 Creedmoor. It doesn't have the screaming velocity or bullet mass of my other deer hunting rifle, but it is a kinder gentler killing machine. So I need to be able to put a bullet exactly within a coin-sized spot on the deer. Can't afford to let them run 1/4 mile into the old cut over dense mess next to my stand. I don't even want them to be able to run 30 yards into that thick stuff.

Our ground is so water-logged that it squirts when you walk on it. Thank the Lord I live on a small ridge.

Thought I would become a big Tikka fan and I do like the T1X, but my 452 American is still my all time favorite 22 rimfire.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.