What are your favorite speed loaders for revolvers? - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 01-14-2022, 03:42 PM
GT_80

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
What are your favorite speed loaders for revolvers?

I have some HKS for my model 34-1, some 5-star for my LCR in .22LR and my 617, and Ammo pods for my LCR in 22lr.

I have used the HKS many times, the 5 Star several times, and I haven't gotten my ammo pods yet.

I know there are speedbeez as well- just curious what you all like best and why. I tend to be more budget minded which is why I stuck with the ones I have, plus they have proven to work.

The speedbeez obviously are highly rated, but expensive, and I have heard some say that the rounds can fall out if they are dropped ot if held in your pocket since they only use a spring to hold the rounds in.

The Ammo pods I am trying for the LCR because I love the design of them- wish they made them for more models, but they only make a few of them.
Old 01-14-2022, 05:37 PM
NCchris
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! Appleseed Rifleman

TPC Rating: 
100% (55)
I use Speed Beez for my S&W M17 and full moon clips for my .45ACP 625.
The Speed Beez system includes loading blocks and cases so you can load the blocks at home, case them and use the speed loader to transfer ammo from the blocks to your revolver at the range.
Chris
Old 01-15-2022, 10:28 AM
prairieviper
US Marines Veteran Law Enforcement Officer NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Speed Beez for my 617 and Safariland for centerfire stuff.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-15-2022, 01:38 PM
flangster

TPC Rating: 
100% (39)
Ditto for a 617 and a Ruger GP 100. I do have to say though, that in a time of ammo scarcity, I am working to slow down, not speed up, in terms of sending rounds downrange. Ammo surplus? Speed loaders. Ammo shortage. Single shots, if you know what I mean.

The Speed Beez loading blocks do work as advertised. In my own practice, they don't actually save much time though. They just displace the set-up time to pre-range prep. But if you are sitting at a bench, it really isn't any more time to load the revolver than to load the loading block, if you know what I mean. Still, I'd rather have the speed loader and not need it than want it and not have it. Call it a fun-enchancer.
Old 01-15-2022, 04:52 PM
22-45

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I use Speedbeez for my 617. I’ve used Safariland speed loaders for center fire revolvers, and limited use of HKS. The Safariland loaders were mostly for competition. Edited to add that I used Comp I’s in the old days, and then switched to Comp II’s. I’ve also been using the Comp III’s and they are really nice.

Last edited by 22-45; 01-18-2022 at 08:19 AM.
Old 01-15-2022, 08:26 PM
AC5D

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
SpeedBeez for my 617, 34/317, and the Kimber K-6ís. I also use their loading blocks in the Pelican cases
Old 01-18-2022, 01:34 PM
GT_80

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
Wow, I have heard good things about speed beez, but it's almost unanimous here... Is that choice by testing others end ending up on speed beez, or just buying them and loving them?
Old 01-18-2022, 03:57 PM
jm17
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
93% (13)
During the wheel gun days on the PD I used safariland comp II. The main advantage to the safariland became apparent when we did one hand reloading drills. Those who had HKS had some difficulties getting the twist knob to release ammo without holding the cylinder with their opposite hand. Safariland just had to be pushed down to release. If your purposes are strictly recreational either one will do. For a personal defense gun Safariland had more advantages,IMO.
Old 01-18-2022, 05:34 PM
AlapahaJack
Law Enforcement Officer NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Way back in the day, my department only allowed HKS. They wouldn't allow the Safariland stating they were to easy to accidentally, prematurely eject the rounds, if you fumbled. Especially if you dropped one.

Then about ten-years later, they went to the Safariland. Go figure!

I was very proficient with the HKS as I shot on the pistol team in competition and had a lot of practice with them.

I still love them.

Old 01-18-2022, 06:10 PM
US Air Force Veteran Law Enforcement Officer NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
100% (31)
Showing my age here, back in my Deputy days I carried Dade Speed loaders, Sheriff wasn't too hep on those new fangled things. Most of the guys used drop pouches...

Now I have HK's for centerfire some 5 and 6 shot rimfires, Speed Beez for my 648.
Old 01-19-2022, 10:36 AM
LDM
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmd1950 View Post
Showing my age here, back in my Deputy days I carried Dade Speed loaders, Sheriff wasn't too hep on those new fangled things. Most of the guys used drop pouches...

Now I have HK's for centerfire some 5 and 6 shot rimfires, Speed Beez for my 648.
A few years ago I managed to score some Dade's for my Service Six. I like the way they operate. Have HKS for my other revolvers and turning that knoblet to release the cartridges is a bit finicky.
Old 01-19-2022, 10:46 AM
AC5D

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Only recently have I switched to revolvers (now my only semi is a Ruger MkIV that I got for my god daughter to use) so starting from scratch, I liked the whole speed loaded / loading block idea and went with the SpeedBeez
Old 01-19-2022, 04:21 PM
AzShooter
US Air Force Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I like the DS-10 speed loaders for my 617. Very reliable and fast. I've never had a failure and have been using them for a lot of years. I currently have 19 of them. When shooting Steel Challenge I load them all up and then just reload after a few stages.

Be sure you buy the loading block cases to go with them. Again, I order direct from DS-10.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 617 wtih new DS-10s.jpg (185.9 KB, 11 views)