Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 10-21-2020, 11:38 AM
Flintlock28
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)

Quote:
Originally Posted by squirrel1 View Post
Put the dog with another good hunting dog on a couple hunts. If your dog doesn’t Improve after that. You have yourself a yard dog. Not a hunting dog.
This is what I'm leaning towards.....maybe thru jealousy, the dog might wake up out of his stupor.
Old 10-21-2020, 03:54 PM
ghgs

TPC Rating: 
100% (18)
In my younger days I field trialed and trained English Setters with some success.
Often times folks would come to me for help with their dogs when they were having troubles.
My first response was usually, If you are having a problem with a dog, the first place you need to look to solve the issue, is in a mirror.
90% of the time I was right.
That being said, it sure wouldn't hurt to take the dog to a good Vet for a thorough check up.
Always possible that it could be a health related issue.
Sure hope things work out.
Glen H
Old 10-21-2020, 08:16 PM
Flintlock28

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ghgs View Post
In my younger days I field trialed and trained English Setters with some success.
Often times folks would come to me for help with their dogs when they were having troubles.
My first response was usually, If you are having a problem with a dog, the first place you need to look to solve the issue, is in a mirror.
90% of the time I was right.
That being said, it sure wouldn't hurt to take the dog to a good Vet for a thorough check up.
Always possible that it could be a health related issue.
Sure hope things work out.
Glen H
I'm going to contact a local preserve that may have trainers that can help....see what a Pro says.
Old 10-21-2020, 08:24 PM
Bradical

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flintlock28 View Post
I'm going to contact a local preserve that may have trainers that can help....see what a Pro says.
Big hat tip, sir. You are on the right path. Best of luck sorting this out and thanks for stepping up to help your buddy and his dog.
Old 10-22-2020, 07:31 PM
2500X

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Does the dog wear an e-collar? If so, I'm thinking that your buddy may have been heavy handed with the collar and confused the dog or made the dog think that hunting the bird gets him zapped. The fault is not with the dog, something happened to kill his desire and I'm with those who think it's gotta be your buddy.
Old 10-22-2020, 07:41 PM
SDBigDog1955

TPC Rating: 
100% (6)
Quote:
Friend of mine has a very friendly 3.5 year old Yellow Lab. For the last two Pheasant seasons, He's done a great job of finding, flushing Pheasants, with enthusiasm. At the very end of last season, the last two hunts, the dog showed a lack of enthusiasm, and was basically giving up hunting....i.e. not really trying, not putting his nose down, and also hanging around our feet.

We found out later, he had a bad ear infection.

So we chalked up the last two hunts, due to the ear. Yesterday, we went to the preserve we hunt, and decided to hunt the little field, with only 6 birds put out. the little field is probably about 260 yards, by 150 yards or so. The dog for 40 minutes again showed little interest, and we did not find one bird. my buddy was ready to strangle the dog, and actually fired a round into the dirt nearby, hoping the shot might "wake him up".

No dice, it seems this dog has simply decided He's done with hunting.

Any ideas? the owner of the preserve said He's never heard of a dog that was a enthusiastic, good hunter, than lost complete interest.
WOOF
Old 10-22-2020, 08:01 PM
Fundy

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
I don't think that's the case........My buddy is a really good guy; but I think he's just fed up with the dog acting in this manner. In the back of His mind, he's thinking that the dog is 3.5 years old, and if nothing bad happens, he's got probably 10 plus years of having a dog that is useless for hunting.

I've seen the hours of training him, playing retrieve, and other time spent with his buddy, and now the dog just doesn't want to hunt anymore.......kind of like asking your teenage Son to take out the garbage, and he just doesn't want to do it.

My buddy's wife also commented that the dog, "Seems to have lost his purpose"...

I noticed that the dog seems, kinda depressed, for lack of a better word. he doesn't seem to have the vigor that he did last season..

The owner of the preserve suggested that we wait till January, for some cold weather, and let him have some one on one time with him.
Well, if the dog has "lost his purpose," just shoot him and put him out of his misery. Same for the lazy teenager.

Of course, I'm kidding...I'm still trying to get over the ground shot by the dog. Yeah, my dad was old and disinterested but still had at least ten years left to live. Hmmm...shoot him, too?
Old 10-22-2020, 09:31 PM
rimfireonsteel

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by wmrike View Post
Throwing a hot round the dog's way certainly won't move things forward.
That is not what happened, poster said his buddy let off around like shooting at a bird. Unless shooting and missing is abusive then there are a bunch of abused dogs out there, like all of them.
Old 10-22-2020, 10:07 PM
Flintlock28

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2500X View Post
Does the dog wear an e-collar? If so, I'm thinking that your buddy may have been heavy handed with the collar and confused the dog or made the dog think that hunting the bird gets him zapped. The fault is not with the dog, something happened to kill his desire and I'm with those who think it's gotta be your buddy.
Noi electronic collar has been used.
Old 10-22-2020, 11:44 PM
Quetico

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I've hunted over labs and shorthairs for 60 years. Trained a few in my time. There are a lot of reasons your lab could be having an off day. But my advise is to start with a visit to the vet. Explain the situation. There are at least a dozen pathological conditions which could be contributing to the problem. Eliminate those possibilities.

After that, it could be something as simple as bad field conditions. You've noticed this behavior only once or twice, right? Early season hunts, especially when the weather is warm and the cover is high and thick can make scenting difficult and confusing. I've seen it in both labs and shorthairs. Bring another dog on the next trip and hunt the two of them one after the other (not together, unless they're used to working together). Notice how each dog hunts and see if the lab's reluctance persists.

I do know that your friend's behavior is reprehensible; he has no business owning either a dog or a gun.
Old 10-22-2020, 11:44 PM
River2406

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I've trained a series of Labs over my lifetime. This dog sounds like it may be what trainers call a "pig". I would advise that this dog be retired to the living room and move on to a hard-charging pup for the field.
Old 10-23-2020, 03:29 AM
Fang

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Have a closer look at what you're feeding him, Change his diet, less of the commercial stuff in packets.
Old 10-23-2020, 09:59 AM
blades

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
2 hunts with ear infection- and likely your friend was cursing the pup 17 ways to Sunday for poor performance. That will destroy a good hunter in a flash. May or may not be able to over come the physiological effects of those 2 hunts or the recent ones. The pup doesn't want to go out for fear of being reprimanded again.
Seen this before- it is an owner problem.
I have been hunting and training pups for 50 years, sometimes you can get around this but it will take a lot work on the owners part- mostly on himself and then earning the pups respect and adoration again. I once had a brace of brits, male / female - the male was ranger and the female a putszer. that combo would drive some of my friends crazy but these two worked together as a squeeze play on birds. I got the female at one year old . she had been verbaly abused prior. Took a lot of special attention to get her to come around. The Male was the runt of the litter ( $50). He turned out to be one of the best hunters I have ever had. He grew up to be 55 pounds of coiled spring steel
Brits and Labs ( Yes I have had several labs also)- really do not come into their own until about 4 years old- then it's like a light bulb turns on. They can be quite flustrating prior to that point.
Old 10-23-2020, 10:51 AM
Flintlock28

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
The bad performance was at least two or three times last season, and now 6 months later, lousy again. My buddy didn't really get angry, until this past Sunday, because he's starting to think that his hunting dog, is becoming a house pet only. I think those can understand after hours of training, playing retrieve, etc. Etc. That it's a very frustrating issue. I'm waiting to hear back from a pro trainer I contacted, and see about a diagnosis. I don't think it's physical at all...it's mental with the dog.
Old 10-23-2020, 05:21 PM
LeadSpitter

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Friend of mine has a very friendly 3.5 year old Yellow Lab. For the last two Pheasant seasons, He's done a great job of finding, flushing Pheasants, with enthusiasm. At the very end of last season, the last two hunts, the dog showed a lack of enthusiasm, and was basically giving up hunting....i.e. not really trying, not putting his nose down, and also hanging around our feet.

We found out later, he had a bad ear infection.

So we chalked up the last two hunts, due to the ear. Yesterday, we went to the preserve we hunt, and decided to hunt the little field, with only 6 birds put out. the little field is probably about 260 yards, by 150 yards or so. The dog for 40 minutes again showed little interest, and we did not find one bird. my buddy was ready to strangle the dog, and actually fired a round into the dirt nearby, hoping the shot might "wake him up".

No dice, it seems this dog has simply decided He's done with hunting.

Any ideas? the owner of the preserve said He's never heard of a dog that was a enthusiastic, good hunter, than lost complete interest.
I'd like to suggest putting a few rounds or so into the dirt at your buddies feet.

I mean, if the dog had an ear infection that went unknown for who knows how long, maybe it did permanent damage? And if we as humans are warned about and suggested to wear eye and ear protection, ear protection being the one I'm getting at, what's to say the dog maybe didn't end up with and doesn't have and can't get hearing issues? Especially when the owner blasts rounds at and or by it. If he did that with you there or told you he did that, what has he done you don't know about it?

Sorry, I know they're "just" animals to some, but just because they are doesn't mean they deserve that kind of treatment. And I know he's your "bud" so I'll expect you to come to his defense for doing that. Won't change my mind that it was unnecessary.

In the end, some dogs, even in breeds that are known as "hunting" dogs, even though they're one of these breeds, sometimes things happen, sometimes the animal changes. Sometimes %%%% happens. But that is no reason and the animal, dog in this case, doesn't deserve to be treated cruelly!!!

If I seem over the top with anything I've said in regards to this, you can chalk it up to the fact I'm coming up on the 1 year anniversary, 11/17/19, of having to put my best friend down. She wasn't a hunting dog. But she was my buddy and a member of our family. So I tend to get defensive and protective when I here about, or see, cruelty towards animals no matter the form. But I especially do when said cruelty comes from the supposed owner of the animal. Because they should know better!