Have you ever seen this happen? - Page 2 - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 08-04-2020, 09:05 AM
MNBobster

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)

If they ever look at it and tell me, I will let you all know.
Old 09-24-2020, 05:57 AM
Howler
US Army Veteran

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
What ammo is that your shooting? How many types did you try?
Looks like to me the rifle is out of time with the ammo or the chamber wasn't properly faced.
Old 10-12-2020, 02:34 PM
MNBobster

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Sighted-in Marlin XT-17VR

Quote:
Originally Posted by RimfireFun View Post
I hope you are as happy with your XT VR as I am with mine. Good luck with the Rossi.
Very happy with the Marlin. Here it is being sighted in at 100 yards. Federal ammo.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20200903_113733.jpg (511.4 KB, 4 views)
Old 10-12-2020, 02:38 PM
MNBobster

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
My rifle no longer appears in Rossi warranty status

Rossi's Warranty Repair Status no longer gives me status, just a blank page. I hope that means they are working on it. I did a support query. Maybe they will get back to me in a few days.
Old 10-12-2020, 04:18 PM
TEDDY BEAR RAT
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! UotM

TPC Rating: 
100% (33)
Slight doming on the face of the case head is not a huge concern, as I have seen that on every semi-automatic .22 WMR, .17 HMR, and .17 WSM I've fired, but I emphasize slight doming (I have not fired the Savage A17, with its delayed blow-back action, so I can't speak to that rifle). The pressures are on the ragged edge of what a rimfire case head can withstand in a conventional blow-back action, and the slight doming is typical, even when the rifle is fired in full battery.

Keep in mind that, in a blowback design, the bolt is not locked, and it and the extractor do not pull a case out of the chamber upon firing, as is the case with a gas operated rifle. Rather, it is the recoil impulse of the firing cartridge that pushes the case back and, in turn, the case pushes the bolt back until the case mouth clears the chamber. The extractor hooks are required for the case to then pivot and eject at the proper angle and for removing a live round from the chamber. Many semiauto match handguns don't even have extractor hooks, just a stationary ejector blade, so it is quite an ordeal to remove a live round from the chamber of one of those olympic match handguns...I tried to use one for squirrel hunting one time and could not remove the round when I elected to not take the shot. I ended up having to stick a skinny twig through the muzzle to remove the round .

But, the extent of the doming and the bulging forward of the rim on your fired cases is less common and probably a sign of a major problem. Many semiauto designs, with the Ruger 10/22 being one of the worst, allow for the hammer to fall on the back of the bolt even with the bolt out of battery by as much as a 3/8"...check your 10/22s, and you can see how far back the bolt can be retracted and still allow the hammer to fall when you pull the trigger. It's a function of how the disconnector works.

Now, even if the hammer falls with the bolt being retracted 3/8", it will usually just harmlessly hit the rear bottom of the bolt, not the end of the firing pin, and not fire a cartridge. Additionally, the extractors don't really hold the cartridge rim tightly enough against the bolt face to allow firing anyway, BUT SOMETIMES IT DOES FIRE WITH THE BOLT STILL OUT OF BATTERY, and that's when KaBooms can happen. Also be aware that, though more rare, KaBooms happen even with .22 LRs, so this is not a phenomenon limited to the .22 WMRs, 17 HMRs, etc.

This, and other quality-control issues involving the bolt of the Ruger 10/22 Magnum, prompted Ruger to discontinue that rifle, and, eventually, anyone sending their 10/22M in to Ruger for repair never got it back; instead they received a 77/22M rifle.

Probably more info than you needed. Hopefully, you get your Rossi back.

TBR
Old 10-14-2020, 06:30 PM
MNBobster

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Rossi's support numbers don't work (You get a technical difficulties message). The Georgia BBB gives them an F rating. Gee, I wonder why.
Old 10-20-2020, 03:00 PM
RimfireFun
US Army Veteran

The Conch Republic and the state of Michigan
TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MNBobster View Post
Rossi's support numbers don't work (You get a technical difficulties message). The Georgia BBB gives them an F rating. Gee, I wonder why.
As if all the Rossi service complaints I read about, wasn't enough... Rossi is off my future buy list. Thanks for posting this. Good luck with your rifle.