Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 10-09-2020, 09:51 AM
Fynn
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! Appleseed Member Appleseed Rifleman

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrod88 View Post
I’m going to try and finish work early and see what I can find paper wise and head to the indoor 100yd range and try simulated targets with a 7x just to see what they’ll look like. Bought my Walmart daily 3 box allotment of CCI SV at breakfast, just need to find scale targets to print.
You can find CCI SV????????????? I just drooled on myself. I haven't seen that ammo in months.
Old 10-09-2020, 11:32 AM
thauglor

TPC Rating: 
100% (10)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fynn View Post
I too have slowly but surely been drawn to this game but have other pursuits that are occupying most of my time and wallet.

The only scope I have is a Leupold 3-9 and getting another for these matches is far in the future.

I understand that some folks can get by with the bare minimum but I'm asking for a realistic viewpoint since it will require a lot of time and effort for me to get to these matches. It will be for fun but I always have more fun when I'm set up for success.

Question: Is it imaginable to start out with this or will it ultimately be just too frustrating trying to make progress with this scope?
The 3-9 should work pretty well at the chickens and pigs, might be a bit low in power for the others but I use a 30x for smallbore. I am not sure what rifle you are using but most any rifle will be able to perform at the closest 2 targets.
Old 10-09-2020, 01:16 PM
jrod88

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Quote:
I’m going to try and finish work early and see what I can find paper wise and head to the indoor 100yd range and try simulated targets with a 7x just to see what they’ll look like. Bought my Walmart daily 3 box allotment of CCI SV at breakfast, just need to find scale targets to print.
You can find CCI SV????????????? I just drooled on myself. I haven't seen that ammo in months.
Not often, I use brickseek.com. It’s still 50/50.
Old 10-10-2020, 09:36 AM
PWNolan
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (18)
Quote:
Where's an indoor 100yd range in the area? Might be nice to have a place to shoot 50yd & 100yd once the weather gets colder here

I have a lot of different printable silhouette practice targets in my file. Pretty sure I have some that have all four animals scaled to 25yd & 50yd. I'd be happy to send you what I have if you'd like

Old 10-10-2020, 11:33 AM
jrod88

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Rifle Gear has 100yd bays. I didn’t get to make it out Friday. Started a week long quarantine. My wife was sent home early due to contact with a confirmed case on her team.

I’ll PM you.
Old 10-13-2020, 12:19 PM
ShootingStar

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
I too have slowly but surely been drawn to this game but have other pursuits that are occupying most of my time and wallet.

The only scope I have is a Leupold 3-9 and getting another for these matches is far in the future.

I understand that some folks can get by with the bare minimum but I'm asking for a realistic viewpoint since it will require a lot of time and effort for me to get to these matches. It will be for fun but I always have more fun when I'm set up for success.

Question: Is it imaginable to start out with this or will it ultimately be just too frustrating trying to make progress with this scope?
Fynn,
Like has already been said "It's the Indian, not the arrow." We have pretty good attendance from the 4H shooters in the surrounding area and they all have what most consider "beginner" equipment, yet they shoot good - often very good - scores!!! I'm surprised by the low magnification but it's regulated by 4H/CMP so that's what they have to use. Again, they do quite well. They have shooters from the (lowest) B Class up to AAA Class (just below Master). If your scope has repeatable settings - meaning that as you move the settings then come back to the original setting and you bullet does too - then you have something that's just fine for the sport!!
Welcome aboard and get a "fix" anytime you can. Shoot at paper outlines of the animals, which used to be available on the NRA website, but I'm not sure now. I have the pdf files if you want to send me a pm - I'll send them to you.
Paper is not nearly as FUN as shooting the free-standing targets, but it is better for seeing your hits and misses.

Good luck and good shooting,
ShootingStar (aka Greg Chandler)
Master/AAA Smallbore Silhouette Shooter
AA Target Air Rifle Shooter (just started. . . those little suckers are HARD!)
Old 10-13-2020, 12:24 PM
ShootingStar

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
For all the Silhouette Shooters. . .
If you are ever up in Western North Carolina, come join us for our Silhouette Shooting.

1st Saturday - March through October at Piedmont Gun Club near Rutherfordton, NC. Shoot Smallbore Silhouette (Standard and Hunter Rifles)
2nd Saturday - March through November at Asheville Rifle & Pistol Club, in Arden, NC. Shoot Air Rifle & Smallbore Silhouettes
3rd Saturday - March through October (I think) back at Piedmont Gun Club. Shoot Smallbore Lever Action & Pistol Cartridge Lever Action

Join us when you can - it's a pretty part of the world!!!

ShootingStar (aka Greg Chandler - Match Director, Asheville Rifle & Pistol)
Old 10-14-2020, 08:12 PM
jbmarshtx

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
HOTSA is closed for silhouette. They have been looking for a range, but are closed as far as I know.

Haltom City has a silhouette match though I've never been. Grand Prairie might have a smallbore match, and I know they do lever matches.

Austin rifle club hosts a monthly match.

Bayou Rifles and Pearland Sportsman Club also host monthly matches.

CTSA in New Braunfels hosts a monthly smallbore and high power silhouette match.

Edit to add. Acorneau, who I believe posts here, put this together:

https://calendar.google.com/calendar...merica/Chicago
Old 10-14-2020, 11:27 PM
PWNolan

TPC Rating: 
100% (18)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbmarshtx View Post
Edit to add. Acorneau, who I believe posts here, put this together:

https://calendar.google.com/calendar...merica/Chicago
His calendar lists ASC as only doing lever action which is what I heard a while ago. It's discouraging because their website says NRA silhouettes (smallbore). So, at least to me that means scoped rifle silhouette. I'll contact the MD and clarify. I'll check with Haltom City but I thought I was told that's only lever gun too. I'm sure it's a lot of fun but the match I want to shoot