Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 12-01-2012, 08:46 PM
Domaca
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Red face Serious loss of power with modifier

Hey all,
I was searching the forum for some info on people's experience with silencers and was surprised to see people see no loss in accuracy and some even see no change in POI. This is very different from my experience!

I used a new Parker-Hale modifier on my cz shooting at 25 meters, bench rest. With standard velocity rounds I would find my round impacting the ground a couple of meters short of the waist high target. Also tried it with subsonic rounds (though still sighted in for standard velocity) and they of course fell even shorter, a good 4 meters short! There's definitely something wrong there, right??

Hard to tell what kind of grouping I was getting as I gave up sighting my scope in for the silencer pretty quickly, especially after I noticed I was getting strays, one even hit about a meter to the right of the target. I'm not that bad a shot! I removed the silencer in disgust and haven't used it since. I was thinking of ditching it today and decided I should see if maybe there's just something wrong with mine? If so, what could it be?

I admit, I did open it out of curiosity and remove all the baffles when I first got it, so I might have done a poor job reassembling it. Or perhaps it wasn't screwed on tight enough, I saw today that that can be an issue? I'll give it another chance soon, and try a few different things. But from what I described, does any one know what's wrong with it (or me )?

Thanks for any input you care to share!
Old 12-01-2012, 09:13 PM
CardPuncher
US Air Force Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (7)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Domaca View Post
.... I would find my round impacting the ground a couple of meters short of the waist high target....There's definitely something wrong there, right??
Right.

I don't actually know anything about that device but I'm confident that you're right, something is wrong. When you dis- and re-assemble something and it doesn't work, the obvious thing to rule out first is that you didn't get it right.

You might see where this thread leads, if it isn't your thread: http://www.full-bore.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=10028
Old 12-01-2012, 09:36 PM
timberbeast

TPC Rating: 
100% (43)
Definitely shouldn't see that kind of velocity loss. I wonder if in reassembly that the baffles are not in proper alignment?
Advertisement

Old 12-01-2012, 09:43 PM
Domaca

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Thanks cardpuncher,
I was interested to see in that link (no, not my thread!) that someone referred to "pellet tumble". I wonder was this my problem... could my rounds have been hitting off a baffle (I'm sure this would be noticeable) or is it due to the air flow inside the moderator?

In terms of assembly, I did use the alignment rod but I'll reassemble again and give it another go sometime this week.
Old 12-01-2012, 09:46 PM
Domaca

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by timberbeast View Post
Definitely shouldn't see that kind of velocity loss. I wonder if in reassembly that the baffles are not in proper alignment?
This seems to be the consensus. Because I had used the alignment rod I assumed it was fine, but I guess I was wrong!
Old 12-01-2012, 11:20 PM
Hornet 6

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Send a message via AIM to Hornet 6 Send a message via Skype™ to Hornet 6
There are two likely answers,
1/ As you note, you may have messed up the re-assembly, did you use the supplies steel rod to get them all in line ?
2/ Almost as likely with a Parker hale, it doesn't sit square to your rifles bore, is it a steel one or an alloy one ?

Do you, like us over on the mainland have to get a slot to aquire a moderator ?
If yes then it should have been entered on your FAC, take it back to the seller and get them to check, if it's the mod that is wrong they will (should) either correct it or swap it.
If, as is possible it is your fault then they should at least sell you another without going through the whole rigmarol of getting a variation, and this time get a Sac mod, lighter, shorter and proven accurate moderator.
Good luck with it

Neil.
Old 12-01-2012, 11:59 PM
jim46ok
US Navy Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (24)
Get that thing on a lathe, with a threaded mandrel or tap. Check runout. Sounds like you ARE getting baffle strikes.
Old 12-02-2012, 01:06 AM
IsaacCarlson

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Yep, baffle strikes. Check your barrel threads and your can. Put the can on the barrel and take a look through the barrel/can. You will know if they are out of line.

Another thing you can do is run your cleaning rod down the bore with the can on and see if it hits.
Old 12-02-2012, 02:57 AM
Paul101
US Army Veteran

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Sounds like its clipping the exit to get that much drop.
As said, get a SAK, no problems, easy to strip, clean and assemble.
Old 12-02-2012, 03:37 AM
DAVID DEY

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Hi.
It sounds like the rounds are clipping the silencer, it could be assembled wrong or out of alignment(not seating properly on the shoulder of the barrel).
If your barrel came already threaded from CZ they are usually spot on but if you've had it done locally I would check that.
I've been using Parker Hale moderators for 40 years and never had a problem with them, I have one on a Varmint at the moment and it's slim design looks a lot better on the thicker (16inch) barrel but you may have got a bad one.

DD
Old 12-02-2012, 06:53 AM
gmd1950
US Air Force Veteran Law Enforcement Officer NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
100% (30)
Don't think I can add a thing, some sort of baffle strike is almost certain.
Old 12-02-2012, 07:26 AM
cnelson181
US Air Force Disabled American Veteran

TPC Rating: 
90% (9)
I'll echo what has been said a bunch here. Sounds like a reassembly problem w/ a possible last exit baffle rub.

I see "almost" zero shift or poi on or off on any of my rifles.

Craig...
Old 12-02-2012, 07:33 AM
teabag_46
US Army Veteran

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Send a message via Skype™ to teabag_46
Yep, sounds like you have replaced the baffles the wrong way round. I have never usex my 452 without my PH moderator so I can't testify to the different POI. I HAVE however, stripped the mod for cleaning, and put the baffles in the wrong way round, which made a BIG difference.
Old 12-02-2012, 08:25 AM
Mr GAP
US Air Force Disabled American Veteran

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
It is to late for this advise, but I will give it anyway .

Never disassemble a device before you first use it. Now you have no way to determine if you put the baffles back in wrong or did the factory screw up the machining and assembling of the suppressor .
Old 12-02-2012, 01:27 PM
Domaca

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
OK,

First of all: Thanks for the input!

In terms of threading, I bought the rifle second hand, but I believe CZ's are normally factory threaded in this part of the world. Also, I would imagine I would have screwed it on tightly, but It's not something I was specifically thinking of, so you never know.

In terms of assembly:
Direction of baffles; I followed the instruction leaflet which has a drawing of the assembly. Based on that the baffles are oriented with their "open ends" towards the exit. By "open end", to avoid confusion, I don't mean the end with the hole. Make sense?
Alignment; I looked through it today, and it didn't seem perfectly circular. I re-assembled the modifier and I must say, the alignment rod was very tight against the baffles, however after removal I had a good peep through the modifier and it all seems in line and circular. So fingers crossed.

Hornet6: It is steel. It appears pretty flush with the barrel (I'm looking at it now). Our silencer laws are the same as yours, I believe. We just ask for an "s" to be put on our license and that's the end of it. So it wouldn't be any trouble getting a SAK. Are they significantly better? (Than PH in general!)

Really, until I get a chance to test it out I won't know if it's fixed or not. However, it's very clear to me now that my initial impression (Silencers are useless pieces of crap) was unfair. In that sense, my question is answered! I'll mess around with it until I a)get it working or b) get a new one.

I'll let you all know. Hopefully I'll get out this saturday. If it would just stop raining for 5 mins...

Oh, and Mr GAP: That is a great piece of advice, I wish I had the good sense to follow it!

Thanks everyone.