Magpul AFG - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 02-17-2012, 10:11 AM
Jumpmonkey

Join Date: 
Jan 2012
Posts: 
320
TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Magpul AFG



Log in to see fewer ads
Gents,

I figured here would be the place to check on this product. I've been shooting my 10/22 Charger offhand in my Archangel (target) stock, the angle my wrist is at leaves me with a weak feeling grip and unsteady feeling hold.

Anyone here use the Magpul AFG or AFG 2? How do they feel compared to gripping a normal stock profile? How are stability/control? Is there preference between the 1/2? How much rail space do you need to mount one?

Thanks for your time and help.


God bless,
Adam

Last edited by Jumpmonkey; 02-17-2012 at 10:53 AM. Reason: Unclear about stock being used
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 02-17-2012, 10:43 AM
Dr Heckel
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! UotM

Join Date: 
May 2011
Location: 
USA
Posts: 
5,585
TPC Rating: 
100% (19)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jumpmonkey View Post
Gents,

I figured here would be the place to check on this product. I've been shooting my 10/22 Charger offhand in my Archangel stock, the angle my wrist is at leaves me with a weak feeling grip and unsteady feeling hold.

Anyone here use the Magpul AFG or AFG 2? How do they feel compared to gripping a normal stock profile? How are stability/control? Is there preference between the 1/2? How much rail space do you need to mount one?

Thanks for your time and help.


God bless,
Adam
I used to use the AFG2 on my Marlin 60...I know odd pairing. Gripping the AFG2 to me is..well...odd. Its not a natural feeling like gripping a vertical grip or the stock itself...it takes getting used to. Im not saying its bad necessarily but not my thing so much. I used it on my 60 and AR briefly and it ended up being removed and is back in its original box...and has been for months. Now that I have it out, maybe Ill give it another shot

On my picatinny rail, the AFG2 takes up 11 slots and makes the 12 unusable. Heres some pics-



Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 02-17-2012, 10:50 AM
Jumpmonkey

Join Date: 
Jan 2012
Posts: 
320
TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Doc,

Thanks for the input. I'll probably wind up passing on it then. I was hoping it would offer a more natural grip, not a less comfortable one. I'd try a vertical grip but I'm not papering my gun as an AOW. If you give it another shot and you find out she's treating you well let me know.


Thanks and God bless,
Adam
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
  #4  
Old 02-17-2012, 10:58 AM
MtStream

Join Date: 
Dec 2005
Posts: 
2,186
TPC Rating: 
100% (22)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jumpmonkey View Post
Doc,

Thanks for the input. I'll probably wind up passing on it then. I was hoping it would offer a more natural grip, not a less comfortable one. I'd try a vertical grip but I'm not papering my gun as an AOW. If you give it another shot and you find out she's treating you well let me know.


Thanks and God bless,
Adam
My experience with the Magpul AFG is opposing to the Dr's. I put one on a Keltec Sub 2000 and find it quite comfortable and intuitive feeling in use. Makes using the TLR1 mounted just in front of it very easy.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 02-17-2012, 11:39 AM
defcon

Join Date: 
Sep 2011
Posts: 
971
TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jumpmonkey View Post
Doc,

Thanks for the input. I'll probably wind up passing on it then. I was hoping it would offer a more natural grip, not a less comfortable one. I'd try a vertical grip but I'm not papering my gun as an AOW. If you give it another shot and you find out she's treating you well let me know.


Thanks and God bless,
Adam
how and why would your 10/22 be a AOW based on a vertical grip? its a rimfire.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 02-17-2012, 11:51 AM
MtStream

Join Date: 
Dec 2005
Posts: 
2,186
TPC Rating: 
100% (22)
Quote:
Originally Posted by defcon View Post
how and why would your 10/22 be a AOW based on a vertical grip? its a rimfire.
I'm guessing he is referring to the "Cheek Weld" thread but I've been wrong in guessing before.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 02-17-2012, 12:04 PM
Jumpmonkey

Join Date: 
Jan 2012
Posts: 
320
TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Defcon,

It's a 10/22 Charger, which classifies as a handgun. A handgun with a forward vertical grip qualifies as an AOW and is subject to $5 tax stamp and ATF approval. I am not aware of the ATF making the distinction, which is sometimes made in state law, between a rimfire or centifre gun. The ATF's classifications apply to firearms general without regard to primer location.


MtStream,

That's interesting, how are you using it. Is there a special "technique" or are you using it simply as an angled grip surface for a more natural hold?

Thanks and God bless,
Adam
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 02-17-2012, 12:05 PM
rushchiro

Join Date: 
Feb 2012
Posts: 
1
TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by defcon View Post
how and why would your 10/22 be a AOW based on a vertical grip? its a rimfire.
He is talking about putting it on a charger, which is a pistol. If I am not wrong, a vertical grip on a pistol makes it an AOW.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 02-17-2012, 12:13 PM
MtStream

Join Date: 
Dec 2005
Posts: 
2,186
TPC Rating: 
100% (22)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jumpmonkey View Post

MtStream,

That's interesting, how are you using it. Is there a special "technique" or are you using it simply as an angled grip surface for a more natural hold?

Thanks and God bless,
Adam
With the way the TLR interfaces the very front of the AFG - my thumb rides parallel to the barrel, heel of hand at the most rear of AFG gripping area places my index finger right at the tail cap switch of the light. It was intuitive and comfortable as well as "natural" in pointing from the start. This is my opinion and it works well for me.
not the best pic but it's what I got.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 02-17-2012, 12:32 PM
InfamousJ
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member UotM

Join Date: 
Apr 2011
Location: 
Picture a Gopher stuck in a Badger hole
Posts: 
2,865
TPC Rating: 
100% (3)

Don't know how it would feel on a charger, but on the 10/22 I like the feel a lot...the closer to the mag well the more comfortable for off hand shooting for me...
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 02-17-2012, 12:37 PM
MtStream

Join Date: 
Dec 2005
Posts: 
2,186
TPC Rating: 
100% (22)
jumpmonkey- the stock you're using coupled with a good sling- an AFG would work rather well. It would also give a nub to index the hand on and keep the valuable digits located properly
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 02-17-2012, 12:41 PM
Jumpmonkey

Join Date: 
Jan 2012
Posts: 
320
TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MtStream View Post
It would also give a nub to index the hand on and keep the valuable digits located properly
I likes them digits! I think I'll give it a shot right now gripping the archangel is a real wrist breaker. I'll just have to figure out how to get the rail attached to the Archangel Target stock.


Thanks and God bless,
Adam
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 02-17-2012, 12:44 PM
MtStream

Join Date: 
Dec 2005
Posts: 
2,186
TPC Rating: 
100% (22)
I have a spare section of Keltec rail about 12" long... pm me
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 02-17-2012, 07:01 PM
defcon

Join Date: 
Sep 2011
Posts: 
971
TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jumpmonkey View Post
Defcon,

It's a 10/22 Charger, which classifies as a handgun. A handgun with a forward vertical grip qualifies as an AOW and is subject to $5 tax stamp and ATF approval. I am not aware of the ATF making the distinction, which is sometimes made in state law, between a rimfire or centifre gun. The ATF's classifications apply to firearms general without regard to primer location.


MtStream,

That's interesting, how are you using it. Is there a special "technique" or are you using it simply as an angled grip surface for a more natural hold?

Thanks and God bless,
Adam
ah got it. i only know of the ruger 10/22 rifle. didnt know about the 10/22 charger pistol.
thanks for clarifying and it makes sense
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 02-17-2012, 10:49 PM
Andy_PHA

Join Date: 
Jan 2012
Location: 
IL
Posts: 
23
TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I have one on my AR and like it a lot.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off




All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:53 AM.

Privacy Policy

DMCA Notice

Powered by vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Optimisation provided by DragonByte SEO (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2021 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2021 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
vBulletin Optimisation provided by vB Optimise (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2021 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Copyright 2000-2018 RimfireCentral.com
x