Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 02-17-2012, 10:11 AM
Jumpmonkey

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Magpul AFG

Gents,

I figured here would be the place to check on this product. I've been shooting my 10/22 Charger offhand in my Archangel (target) stock, the angle my wrist is at leaves me with a weak feeling grip and unsteady feeling hold.

Anyone here use the Magpul AFG or AFG 2? How do they feel compared to gripping a normal stock profile? How are stability/control? Is there preference between the 1/2? How much rail space do you need to mount one?

Thanks for your time and help.

God bless,
Adam

Last edited by Jumpmonkey; 02-17-2012 at 10:53 AM. Reason: Unclear about stock being used
Old 02-17-2012, 10:43 AM
Dr Heckel
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! UotM

TPC Rating: 
100% (19)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jumpmonkey View Post
Gents,

I figured here would be the place to check on this product. I've been shooting my 10/22 Charger offhand in my Archangel stock, the angle my wrist is at leaves me with a weak feeling grip and unsteady feeling hold.

Anyone here use the Magpul AFG or AFG 2? How do they feel compared to gripping a normal stock profile? How are stability/control? Is there preference between the 1/2? How much rail space do you need to mount one?

Thanks for your time and help.

God bless,
Adam
I used to use the AFG2 on my Marlin 60...I know odd pairing. Gripping the AFG2 to me is..well...odd. Its not a natural feeling like gripping a vertical grip or the stock itself...it takes getting used to. Im not saying its bad necessarily but not my thing so much. I used it on my 60 and AR briefly and it ended up being removed and is back in its original box...and has been for months. Now that I have it out, maybe Ill give it another shot

On my picatinny rail, the AFG2 takes up 11 slots and makes the 12 unusable. Heres some pics-

Old 02-17-2012, 10:50 AM
Jumpmonkey

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Doc,

Thanks for the input. I'll probably wind up passing on it then. I was hoping it would offer a more natural grip, not a less comfortable one. I'd try a vertical grip but I'm not papering my gun as an AOW. If you give it another shot and you find out she's treating you well let me know.

Thanks and God bless,
Adam
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-17-2012, 10:58 AM
MtStream

TPC Rating: 
100% (22)
Quote:
Doc,

Thanks for the input. I'll probably wind up passing on it then. I was hoping it would offer a more natural grip, not a less comfortable one. I'd try a vertical grip but I'm not papering my gun as an AOW. If you give it another shot and you find out she's treating you well let me know.

Thanks and God bless,
Adam
My experience with the Magpul AFG is opposing to the Dr's. I put one on a Keltec Sub 2000 and find it quite comfortable and intuitive feeling in use. Makes using the TLR1 mounted just in front of it very easy.
Old 02-17-2012, 11:39 AM
defcon

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Doc,

Thanks and God bless,
Adam
how and why would your 10/22 be a AOW based on a vertical grip? its a rimfire.
Old 02-17-2012, 11:51 AM
MtStream

TPC Rating: 
100% (22)
Quote:
Originally Posted by defcon View Post
I'm guessing he is referring to the "Cheek Weld" thread but I've been wrong in guessing before.
Old 02-17-2012, 12:04 PM
Jumpmonkey

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Defcon,

It's a 10/22 Charger, which classifies as a handgun. A handgun with a forward vertical grip qualifies as an AOW and is subject to $5 tax stamp and ATF approval. I am not aware of the ATF making the distinction, which is sometimes made in state law, between a rimfire or centifre gun. The ATF's classifications apply to firearms general without regard to primer location.

MtStream,

That's interesting, how are you using it. Is there a special "technique" or are you using it simply as an angled grip surface for a more natural hold?

Thanks and God bless,
Adam
Old 02-17-2012, 12:05 PM
rushchiro

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by defcon View Post
He is talking about putting it on a charger, which is a pistol. If I am not wrong, a vertical grip on a pistol makes it an AOW.
Old 02-17-2012, 12:13 PM
MtStream

TPC Rating: 
100% (22)
Quote:

MtStream,

That's interesting, how are you using it. Is there a special "technique" or are you using it simply as an angled grip surface for a more natural hold?

Thanks and God bless,
Adam
With the way the TLR interfaces the very front of the AFG - my thumb rides parallel to the barrel, heel of hand at the most rear of AFG gripping area places my index finger right at the tail cap switch of the light. It was intuitive and comfortable as well as "natural" in pointing from the start. This is my opinion and it works well for me.
not the best pic but it's what I got.
Old 02-17-2012, 12:32 PM
InfamousJ
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member UotM

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)

Don't know how it would feel on a charger, but on the 10/22 I like the feel a lot...the closer to the mag well the more comfortable for off hand shooting for me...
Old 02-17-2012, 12:37 PM
MtStream

TPC Rating: 
100% (22)
jumpmonkey- the stock you're using coupled with a good sling- an AFG would work rather well. It would also give a nub to index the hand on and keep the valuable digits located properly
Old 02-17-2012, 12:41 PM
Jumpmonkey

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MtStream View Post
It would also give a nub to index the hand on and keep the valuable digits located properly
I likes them digits! I think I'll give it a shot right now gripping the archangel is a real wrist breaker. I'll just have to figure out how to get the rail attached to the Archangel Target stock.

Thanks and God bless,
Adam
Old 02-17-2012, 12:44 PM
MtStream

TPC Rating: 
100% (22)
I have a spare section of Keltec rail about 12" long... pm me
Old 02-17-2012, 07:01 PM
defcon

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Defcon,

It's a 10/22 Charger, which classifies as a handgun. A handgun with a forward vertical grip qualifies as an AOW and is subject to $5 tax stamp and ATF approval. I am not aware of the ATF making the distinction, which is sometimes made in state law, between a rimfire or centifre gun. The ATF's classifications apply to firearms general without regard to primer location.

MtStream,

Thanks and God bless,
Adam
ah got it. i only know of the ruger 10/22 rifle. didnt know about the 10/22 charger pistol.
thanks for clarifying and it makes sense
Old 02-17-2012, 10:49 PM
Andy_PHA

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I have one on my AR and like it a lot.