10/22 Barrel Obstruction - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 01-27-2012, 02:09 PM
hutchman

TPC Rating: 
100% (7)
10/22 Barrel Obstruction

I bought a new 10/22 International a month or so ago, brought it home, and stuck it in the safe. I was the first to open it at the store and it was packed just as it left the factory.

Last night I got it out to clean it......I am one of those guys who cleans every new gun before shooting. After I removed the bolt from the receiver, I noticed something white in the chamber. So I pushed a cleaning rod through the barrel and look what popped out:

There was a 6" long piece of tie wrap in the barrel. So today I called Ruger Customer Service to see what they had to say.

I was told that I was not the first to call with this issue and they had identified the problem on the assembly line that caused the issue. From what they said, they had tried a new process and it didn't work. So the problem has been rectified from their end.

I wanted to make this public to encourage everyone to at least check the bore and operation of any new firearm before firing. You may not have to clean it as some do, but it does need to be checked for safety reasons.
Old 01-27-2012, 02:27 PM
Dr Heckel
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! UotM

TPC Rating: 
100% (19)
Good thing you caught that I wonder what would've happened if you fired a round with that stuck in there? Would it fly out the end or cause a big problem? Glad you didn't have to find out
Old 01-27-2012, 02:32 PM
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! UotM

TPC Rating: 
100% (75)
Send a message via AIM to Chaser
I think that woulda been UGLY
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-27-2012, 02:52 PM
wahoowad
US Navy Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
I think mine came with a tie wrap in the chamber. The long end was in the barrel, then bigger end with a decorative "Ruger" label stuck out past the bolt. I think it is a safety mechanism to show nothing is in the chamber. Looks like the tag end with the "Ruger" label fell off yours.
Old 01-27-2012, 03:14 PM
amblerrl
US Army Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (127)
barrel obstruction

i bought a new international a coupleof weeks ago and it also had a tie wrap type
device in the chamber. mine still had the end on it and was doing what it was designed to do.
Old 01-27-2012, 03:21 PM
'ol shooter
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
100% (136)
I have never bought a gun that did not get a complete cleaning and inspection before the first round. I'm kind of anal about that.
Old 01-27-2012, 03:24 PM
outlinkk
UotM

TPC Rating: 
100% (47)
Quote:
Originally Posted by amblerrl View Post
i bought a new international a coupleof weeks ago and it also had a tie wrap type
device in the chamber. mine still had the end on it and was doing what it was designed to do.
Here`s how they look before they moult

Old 01-27-2012, 04:08 PM
staff3704
US Air Force Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Never saw one like that but the Ruger single six comes with a plastic circle (yellow) in it which should been seen when (or before) you open the loading gate.
Old 01-27-2012, 05:52 PM
Keith55

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
After seeing the bits of steel, grease, dirt, and who knows what else that comes out of new bores, I ALWAYS CLEAN before shooting a new gun.

I was always worried about scratching the grooves and lands, but with this you can add blowing the gun up and possible grievous bodily harm to the list of reasons why cleaning a new gun is never a bad idea.
Old 01-27-2012, 06:50 PM
LDThornton

TPC Rating: 
100% (4)
When it comes to firearms never take anything for granted. Laziness could result in injury or death. If you buy a firearm to look at then look at it but don't load it. If you buy one to shoot accept the responsibilities that come with gun ownership. Safety is number one. Number two happens when number one is not followed. And always, always, always ensure that there is no blockage in the barrel before shooting a new-to-you firearm. Being anal about it is a good thing. IMHO

Last edited by LDThornton; 01-27-2012 at 08:24 PM.
Old 01-27-2012, 07:21 PM
hutchman

TPC Rating: 
100% (7)
outlinkk, thanks for the pictures. I have bought several new 10/22s over the last few years and none of them had one of those. It is very clear now though, where the end came from. I guess I'll get the box out and find the other end....it must be in there somewhere!
Old 01-30-2012, 08:14 PM
Squires Bingham
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
I'm surprise Ruger fessed up to the mistake

I really like Ruger stuff
Old 01-31-2012, 09:18 AM
schleppy

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I just bought a 10/22 and mine was like that too. Though the sales guy broke the tab off when he took the gun out of the plastic, and it was his fault that it was still in the action. Thankfully I noticed it before I put rounds through it.
Old 01-31-2012, 11:22 AM
Orangedotfever

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
The new 10-22 carbine that I used for my wife's build had the exact same type of zip tie in the barrel. I just happened to check it. Glad I did.
Old 01-31-2012, 04:18 PM
Roadrat
US Air Force Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
92% (7)
All the SAFETY crap is going to get someone killed!