Lithgow LA101- issue - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 10-15-2020, 10:08 AM
Rosebuster

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Lithgow LA101- issue

Just recieved my new LA101 last week. Very dissapointed that it will not feed any ammo form the magazine. Not even close. Can load as single shot and hand feed round into chamber. Waiting on a CZ metal mag to see if that helps but how is it that a gun this costly uses a plastic very flimsy mag and will not feed at all. Now I am going to have to pay to ship it from KY to get it fixed. Has any one had good results with your Lithgow? I had hopes it would be a step up from my Tikka, wrong!!
Would love to hear from others about good results with their Lithgow to give my hope that it is not a $1000 mistake. thank you form KY,
Old 10-15-2020, 10:25 AM
kisssofdeath
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I don't have a Lithgow but can you elaborate on how it misfeeds?
Old 10-15-2020, 10:47 AM
Rosebuster

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Yes, the round comming from the magazine is at such an angle that it will not slide into the chamber. The bullet enters the chamber while the round is still at an angle but the extractor hook will not allow the case to slide up in the back to line up straight with the chamber so if you pushed hard enough it would crush the round about in the middle of the case. Seems like the rim of the case is not able to slide up to line up straight to slide into chamber.
Old 10-15-2020, 12:51 PM
DGF

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Mine feeds “slick as a goose” with CCi and the factory mag
Old 10-15-2020, 04:29 PM
Rosebuster

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Glad to hear good report. I shot it single shot today and I like it a lot. Shoots great and trigger is ok also. I may just shoot it as a single shot for a while to see if the hook loosens up on its own. Just frustrating to spend that much on a toy and it not to function correctly.
Old 10-15-2020, 04:54 PM
Penage Guy

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
It's been a while since I had a Lithgow. Is it possible the magazine follower is back to front?
Old 10-15-2020, 06:31 PM
Mick89

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Penage Guy View Post
It's been a while since I had a Lithgow. Is it possible the magazine follower is back to front?
This or it needs a little tuning. There was an issue with earlier magazines.

Report on my LA101, like DGF said, slick as a goose with all 9+ types of ammo I have fed it.

Trigger I had worked to reduce creep and drop the weight, now at 1.6lb with only slight creep.

Ammo fussy so far, seems to do very well with SK long range match but will throw in some bad groups at times (probably me). Really impressed me with Eley match.

"the extractor hook will not allow the case to slide up in the back to line up straight with the chamber so if you pushed hard enough it would crush the round about in the middle of the case"

Sorry didn't read this. I had to stone the corner off of the hook on my P94S varmint which was too tight and too sharp.

Last edited by Mick89; 10-15-2020 at 06:47 PM.
Old 10-15-2020, 06:41 PM
FlysAlot

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosebuster View Post
Glad to hear good report. I shot it single shot today and I like it a lot. Shoots great and trigger is ok also. I may just shoot it as a single shot for a while to see if the hook loosens up on its own. Just frustrating to spend that much on a toy and it not to function correctly.
So you've called Lithgow and spoken to them about the issue?

Old 10-15-2020, 06:49 PM
kisssofdeath

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Rosebuster, you have probably covered these bases but if this was mine and it's working as you describe, I'd remove the bolt and see just how tight the rim fit is between the extractor and bolt face. I'd also get a magnifying glass and inspect the extractor for a burr. I'd look at the bottom of the bolt face for rough areas.
Old 10-16-2020, 08:15 AM
ppipe

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I use the CZ metal 5rd. magazines and have had no problems of any description - not a big fan of plastic stuff.
Old 10-16-2020, 09:50 AM
PB1234

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
I have had no problems of any sort. Thought about replacing the trigger spring to lower the trigger pull weight and although have the spring have not bothered to change the spring content to leave well enough alone. Did install a trigger shoe. No problems with magazine. Excellent rifle which I bought the plastic stock because LOP is adjustable.

If I were shooting centerfire I would be very interested in their centerfire rifles.
Old 10-16-2020, 07:10 PM
Silver1e6

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Would love to hear from others about good results with their Lithgow to give my hope that it is not a $1000 mistake. thank you form KY,
Hello Rosebuster,

Can I suggest you have a read through the Australian 'Enough Gun' forums. The LA101 feeding issues have been well documented there and a number of solutions have been presented. People's interactions with Lithgow to resolve the issue are also covered there.

Here is one link with plenty of content for you to review: Lithgow LA101 CrossOver but you can find a lot more discussion over there via your favourite search engine - "Enough Gun" & "LA101 issues".

My personal experiences:

Factory magazine - The one supplied with the rifle had intermittent issues, exactly as you described. The magazine was replaced when mentioned, without question, by Lithgow when the rifle was in for a different issue (light firing pin strike). Zero issues thereafter, irrespective of the type or brand of .22LR being used.

Aftermarket 10 round magazine - I had to perform a modification to the follower, as described by Ozzie Reviews. Once completed, no issues at all. URL: https://youtu.be/opzBuQwSfJE

Feel free to get in touch directly with me if you would like any further help.

Cheers, Mike.

Last edited by Silver1e6; 10-16-2020 at 07:13 PM.
Old 10-16-2020, 10:49 PM
HJA8

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Quote:
Yes, the round comming from the magazine is at such an angle that it will not slide into the chamber. The bullet enters the chamber while the round is still at an angle but the extractor hook will not allow the case to slide up in the back to line up straight with the chamber so if you pushed hard enough it would crush the round about in the middle of the case. Seems like the rim of the case is not able to slide up to line up straight to slide into chamber.
It's all in the magazine follower adjustment - I have two LA101's - Round count 12,381.
I use 6X5 round factory mags, 2X5 round CZ metal mags & 2X10 round ISA mags.

The followers in all these mags have been carefully adjusted to feed at the correct angle.

Sounds like yours is feeding the rounds so that the bullet hits the top edge of the chamber - If so, reverse the following procedure:

TO CORRECT LOW FEED ANGLE, FRONT TAB ON FOLLOWER HAS TO BE BENT IN. REAR TAB HAS TO BE BENT OUT SO THAT THERE IS SLIGHT CLEARANCE BETWEEN TAB AND MAGAZINE REAR EDGE.

Small changes in these angles can have a dramatic effect so getting it right can be a little tedious when doing it for the first time There was a modification made to the magazine surround on these rifles between S. Nos. 15Z.... & 16Z.... as per the attached images - I've heard little about feeding issues mentioned here in Aus. since that modification.

I'll admit I'm not a fan of plastic and my metal CZ mags are used probably 90% of the time.

Old 10-17-2020, 07:32 AM
layer3guru
US Marines Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
This sucks I hate to hear you are having issues with your Lithgow.

Here is mine in action
https://youtu.be/WgNWXae80W0

I absolutely love mine had to make no tweaks at all.
Old 10-17-2020, 07:38 PM
Rosebuster

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Thank you all for your info and responses. I have done some of the work suggested and it feeds some better but still not right. It is also interesting that loading single shot it will shoot a nice group, less than half inch followed by a 1 inch or more group with same ammo and no changes. Shooting Ely and Center X mainly. I will contact Lithgow Monday and see what they suggest. Thank you.