DIY 54 Extended Mag Release - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 08-03-2019, 07:17 PM
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! UotM

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
DIY 54 Extended Mag Release

So- I decided to tinker with different designs for an extended mag release for my 1712 which is a designated NRA smallbore silhouette rifle. Below are a few of the designs I’ve made. I basically drill holes in the bottom of an OEM release and a home made aluminum release to allow Devcon 10110 plastic steel putty to bond the components together, which works with incredible strength. Then I sand the aluminum & Devcon down to 400 grit to shape & contour the final part, and spray paint them with a pretty tough finish Krylon enamel. The one I kept on my 1712 is the first pictured, which has a short hook shape that matches the curved contour of the front of the trigger guard. Looks much more elegant than the skeletonized Victory Trigger one I made first, which was dubbed a “hanging booger” by someone here a few weeks back, lol.

DrGunner
Old 08-03-2019, 07:42 PM
Chaser

TPC Rating: 
100% (75)
Send a message via AIM to Chaser
Crafty indeed.. looks great
Reminds me of a time in my life when I went all crafty...

Old 08-03-2019, 08:25 PM

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
Arrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaser View Post
Crafty indeed.. looks great
Reminds me of a time in my life when I went all crafty...

Chase- I’ve never seen that set before- very cool indeed!

I found that the easiest way to make these DIY 54 releases is to first buy used OEM releases from Numrich for $8.50 vs the $17.10 that Midwest Gun Works charges, then I use a Kidd medium height release for the lower component.
First I hand file the tab that Kidd uses to attach the release to their trigger group, narrowing it to about 1/3 it’s original size. Then I drill two holes through it front to back, which allows the Devcon to flow through and really lock it in. The OEM 54 release needs to be heated before drilling, the steel is so hard that carbide bits are dulled trying to drill it. I drill a single oversized hole, contour the parts to fit together, then apply Devcon to the 54 component inside and out, apply Devcon to the Kidd part, filling the holes in the post and coating all contact surfaces, then I mate them together and let the excess squeeze out and stay in place. I shape it to create a proud roll of it on all sides and then babysit it as the Devcon sets, making sure that it dries straight and level. Then I simply file and sand the Devcon away to create a smooth interface. I did four at the same time in my last batch.

Seriously- It’s really sad that no one offers an extended release for these beautiful rifles. The OEM is just a knurled bump that LOOKS like a push- button, but in truth, it FUNCTIONS as a pivot. Since 99% of us use SV match grade ammo that is coated with llama loogie lube, Actually using the OEM release can be a challenge when things get slippery, as they often do shooting Rimfire. A sad testament – this is what Anschutz came up with as their “extended release”:

And people here actually think my Victory was fugly. IMO, it looks better than THAT!

DrGunner

Last edited by DrGunner; 08-04-2019 at 01:14 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-03-2019, 09:05 PM
US Navy Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (266)
Looks great, DrG. How can one explain that a company that makes as beautiful a rifle as the 1712 would design such a difficult-to-use standard mag release and then offer a more functional but ugly replacement -- and charge $59 (plus shipping) for it?

Doug
Old 08-04-2019, 08:55 AM
c.w.moss
National Guard Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (5)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrGunner View Post
Chase- I’ve never seen that set before- very cool indeed!

I found that the easiest way to make these DIY 54 releases is to first buy used OEM releases from Numrich for $8.50 vs the $17.10 that Midwest Gun Works charges, then I use a Kidd medium height release for the lower component.
First I hand file the tab that Kidd uses to attach the release to their trigger group, narrowing it to about 1/3 it’s original size. Then I drill two holes through it front to back, which allows the Devcon to flow through and really lock it in. The OEM 54 release needs to be heated before drilling, the steel is so hard that carbide bits are dulled trying to drill it. I drill a single oversized hole, contour the parts to fit together, then apply Devcon to the 54 component inside and out, apply Devcon to the Kidd part, filling the holes in the post and coating all contact surfaces, then I mate them together and let the excess squeeze out and stay in place. I shape it to create a proud roll of it on all sides and then babysit it as the Devcon sets, making sure that it dries straight and level. Then I simply file and sand the Devcon away to create a smooth interface. I did four at the same time in my last batch.

Seriously- It’s really sad that no one offers an extended release for these beautiful rifles. The OEM is just a knurled bump that LOOKS like a push- button, but in truth, it FUNCTIONS as a pivot. Since 99% of us use SV match grade ammo that is coated with llama loogie lube, Actually using the OEM release can be a challenge when things get slippery, as they often do shooting Rimfire. A sad testament – this is what Anschutz came up with as their “extended release”:

And people here actually think my Victory was fugly. IMO, it looks better than THAT!

DrGunner
I believe this extended mag release is what is used on the Biathon rifles. Years ago I bought one and installed it on a 1808MSR.
Old 08-04-2019, 10:45 AM

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
Quote:
Originally Posted by c.w.moss View Post
I believe this extended mag release is what is used on the Biathon rifles. Years ago I bought one and installed it on a 1808MSR.
That makes sense- It would have to be rather large to work it with gloves on.

Still- the OEM one is dysfunctional... there’s a niche in the market there, for anyone who wanted to design and manufacture them.

Mine are hand made and take TIME.

Here’s the latest batch:

DrGunner
Old 08-06-2019, 09:47 AM
kevin1

TPC Rating: 
100% (4)
I shot extensively my 1710 HB over the weekend. That magazine release was an absolute pain to operate (especially after a couple hundred rounds). I have had other Anschutz and they didn’t have such a stiff spring. I’m really hoping that the spring will lighten up over time. I’d rather not go the extended mag route just from an esthetic aspect.
Old 08-06-2019, 12:47 PM

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevin1 View Post
I shot extensively my 1710 HB over the weekend. That magazine release was an absolute pain to operate (especially after a couple hundred rounds). I have had other Anschutz and they didn’t have such a stiff spring. I’m really hoping that the spring will lighten up over time. I’d rather not go the extended mag route just from an esthetic aspect.
If I were you, I’d order a spare spring from Numrich for $4 and bend it to give a softer recoil on your OEM release.
If that doesn’t work, heat the spring to anneal/soften it & try it again.
While you have it apart, lightly oil the contact surfaces between the release & magwell.

DrGunner
Old 02-26-2021, 11:41 AM
Irishshooter

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Guy I'm extending a new mag release on my 1710, to get the original removed is it just a pin to punch out ? is there any hidden fly away parts that I should be looking out for before they disappear.
Ohh and I found my Dremel 409 cut-off wheel went through the bottom of the new mag release like butter. I placed a small bolt in and epoxied everything in and will shape it tomorrow.

Last edited by Irishshooter; 02-26-2021 at 11:48 AM.
Old 02-26-2021, 11:54 AM

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishshooter View Post
Guy I'm extending a new mag release on my 1710, to get the original removed is it just a pin to punch out ? is there any hidden fly away parts that I should be looking out for before they disappear.
Ohh and I found my Dremel 409 cut-off wheel went through the bottom of the new mag release like butter. I placed a small bolt in and epoxied everything in and will shape it tomorrow.
It’s a simple cross pin pivot with captured torsion spring. Pretty self explanatory when you have the action out of the stock. Drive the cross pin out, and grab the spring with needle nose pliers or put a pick through the coils to keep it from flying off into orbit.

DrGunner
Old 02-26-2021, 12:43 PM
Irishshooter

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Thanks,
just wanted to make sure before I removed anything.
Old 03-09-2021, 10:03 AM
TCROSS
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
80% (4)
DrG, you are an inspiration. I've always thought there must be something out there aftermarketwise that would be a better fit for my fingers. (And tasteful in design - like yours) I've come to the conclusion that there isn't and I will just have to make it myself. I've looked at the Numrich site and cannot find the parts you mention. Could you share some part numbers? I don't like the thought of messing with the guns original if I can help it. Thanks
Old 03-09-2021, 11:51 AM

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
Quote:
Originally Posted by TCROSS View Post
DrG, you are an inspiration. I've always thought there must be something out there aftermarketwise that would be a better fit for my fingers. (And tasteful in design - like yours) I've come to the conclusion that there isn't and I will just have to make it myself. I've looked at the Numrich site and cannot find the parts you mention. Could you share some part numbers? I don't like the thought of messing with the guns original if I can help it. Thanks
Thanks! Just a simple matter of “Necessity” butting heads with mom, when the current OEM solution is fugly, LOL.

So, for future reference, Anschutz calls it a “Mag Retainer”, not “Release”, so you want to search for “Anschutz 54 Action Magazine Retainer”.

Here’s a link to the part on Numrich, listed as product #1244850A, list cost is still $8.50.

https://www.gunpartscorp.com/products/1244850A

Unfortunately, they’re currently listed as “Out of Stock”, and pretty much have been most of the time since I posted this thread and linked Numrich as my material source last year. That kinda stinks, because I would not mind making a couple more for friends. I guess I learned my lesson, next time keep my secret sources for low priced parts secret.

TCross- check your PM box, I have some info to help you get your project off the ground.

Regards

DrGunner