first sr22 range trip. Modifications? Comparison to gsg 1911 and buckmark - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 10-27-2017, 12:14 AM
chomorro

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
first sr22 range trip. Modifications? Comparison to gsg 1911 and buckmark

Fairly new shooter a few months in and I was super excited to pick up an ruger sr22. They are hard to find since it's off CA roster handgun.

Took it out with my gsg 1911 and buckmark udx plus. Buckmark is all oem, gsg 1911 has upgrades, guide rod and bushing, firing pin.

First off I totally forgot this thing is DA so out of habit every shot was SA so I don't know what the DA trigger pull and accuracy was yet. My sights were off so I spent a long time adjusting them.

I would say i put 100 rounds through each gun.

The very audible trigger reset was awesome. The other two don't have a reset. It's much smaller even with the thicker back strap and pinky extension I kept gripping it wrong.

Funny part was after shooting the sr22, I was much more accurate with the other two. Tighter grip maybe?

Here is where I need advice, the ruger had no issues at all with my golden bullets. The gsg and buckmark, had a few stovepipe's? If that's what they are called. What causes this?

Also the ruger wasn't as accurate as the other two. I know it's different to shoot from the smaller frame but I couldn't find any longer barrel upgrades. And that **** hammer kept hitting the web of my hand, any beaver tail options like my 1911 has?

At 25 feet, right target is buckmark, middle head is gsg, the left is the ruger. Like I said ruger sights were off for my shooting style. Ignore body shots. That was all done at 10 feet.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Last edited by chomorro; 10-29-2017 at 10:53 AM.
Old 10-28-2017, 10:39 AM
1917-1911M
US Army Veteran

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
What you have pictured is a miss feed causing a stoppage. Semi auto pistols can have a number of issues and especially low powered .22 models. That you see is likely a magazine issue. A magazine is simply a box designed to hold a certain number of rounds of ammunition. But, it is just as important to the function of any semi auto as any other part. You should clean your magazines.....and I mean the inside and the outside. Check for smooth movement of the follower. When the slide or bolt is retracted the breech rail gets behind the top round and as the slide moves forward the round is shoved forward. It is the job of the magazine to hold this round securely, present it at the proper elevation and angle for smooth feeding into the chamber. At the top of the magazine the metal is folded in just so. We call these the lips. They can be damaged from wear or the magazine being dropped. For some reason your magazine is not keeping the top round in the proper position for smoothly sliding up the feed ramp and into the chamber. Sometimes the best thing is to try another magazine.....wear, weak mag spring, dirt, damaged lips...any of the above could be a problem as well as damaged mag catch components not holding the mag in the proper position. Clean and inspect first....and always a firm grip on .22 pistols.

A stove pipe is usually caused by limp wristing or a weak round. The cartridge fires but it too weak to fully cycle the slide....dirt, dirty chamber, weak ammo, limp wristing and while the spent case might extract is is sometimes not ejected, is caught by the slide and left sticking up like a chimney pipe.....i.e., stovepipe.

Clean the chamber regularly, clean the magazines regularly and use high velocity ammo. I would say what you posted is a mag problem. 1917
Old 10-28-2017, 06:24 PM
chomorro

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I will check that thank you very much!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-29-2017, 03:58 PM
glennasher
US Army Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
The shorter sight radius of the SR-22 can wreak havoc if your technique is "still developing". You are used to longer barrels (GSG, Buckmark), which might give you a bit of an edge with them. Unless your technique is awfully, awfully good, a shorter barrel can give you fits, as it's easier to make a boo-boo with the shorter barrel. Front Sight, SQUEEZE Trigger. Fundamentals and practice will require some work, but that's the fun part.

It looks like you've still got some work to do with sight picture, trigger pull, etc. As you get better with the larger guns, it should translate into somewhat better shooting with the SR. I can't shoot my wife's 3.5" SR nearly as well as I can shoot my 4.5" (longer barrelled) SR. Basically the same guns, but the longer radius favors my eyesight, which isn't getting better with age.

Get some better ammo, and practice, practice, practice. Concentrate on that front sight, and pull that trigger STRAIGHT back.............Don't get in a hurry, either, this is gonna take some time. Best of luck in your endeavor. It's a fun ride.
Old 10-29-2017, 04:19 PM
chomorro

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by glennasher View Post
The shorter sight radius of the SR-22 can wreak havoc if your technique is "still developing". You are used to longer barrels (GSG, Buckmark), which might give you a bit of an edge with them. Unless your technique is awfully, awfully good, a shorter barrel can give you fits, as it's easier to make a boo-boo with the shorter barrel. Front Sight, SQUEEZE Trigger. Fundamentals and practice will require some work, but that's the fun part.

It looks like you've still got some work to do with sight picture, trigger pull, etc. As you get better with the larger guns, it should translate into somewhat better shooting with the SR. I can't shoot my wife's 3.5" SR nearly as well as I can shoot my 4.5" (longer barrelled) SR. Basically the same guns, but the longer radius favors my eyesight, which isn't getting better with age.

Get some better ammo, and practice, practice, practice. Concentrate on that front sight, and pull that trigger STRAIGHT back.............Don't get in a hurry, either, this is gonna take some time. Best of luck in your endeavor. It's a fun ride.
This is what I was thinking. Have you ever tried a p22? I rented one at the range and the ruger was so much better but then again everyone says they are identical when shooting.

With the trigger squeeze, it is harder to not use the crease of my index since the frame is smaller.

Old 10-29-2017, 07:29 PM
glennasher
US Army Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by chomorro View Post
This is what I was thinking. Have you ever tried a p22? I rented one at the range and the ruger was so much better but then again everyone says they are identical when shooting.

With the trigger squeeze, it is harder to not use the crease of my index since the frame is smaller.

I shot a P-22 when they were brand-new, back around 2002. It didn't set me on fire to buy one. A buddy had jumped all over it, as it was the newest thing around. I tried some Mini-Mags thru his, and it worked okay, but something about it irked me, probably that slide-mounted safety, which worked itself loose while I was shooting it. It shot "okay" but I was used to larger pistols, like your Buckmark, and didn't do all that well with it. I was unimpressed by the phillips head screw holding the safety on it. I thought that was kinda cheesy.

All I can do is refer you to my earlier suggestions, those tips did me very well when I was competing in USPSA/IPSC competition. I was fairly successful at it (fifth in my class at the Nationals in '89). That was a long time ago, but the basics and muscle memory live on.
The SR-22s will shoot pretty well, if you watch that front sight and don't jerk the trigger. If you can't manage the sight radius, there are some optical options available now, I'd assume. I bought mine to carry out in the woods, because snakes and other vermin sometimes need the attention a good pistol can provide.