Tech Sight/Front Blade Removal ??? - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 01-21-2012, 01:46 PM
Oldgringo

TPC Rating: 
100% (4)
Tech Sight/Front Blade Removal ???

My Tech Sights arrived today - great delivery!

I've beat the front blade on my 10/22 - left to right - to a frazzle and it ain't even budged. I've used Liquid Wrench and WD-40 and beat it some more with various hammers. The blade is still where it was when the gun was new 20 years ago.

I really don't want to take a saw to it. Anybody got any suggestions...please?
Old 01-21-2012, 01:58 PM
PapiPaco
US Air Force Veteran

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I've done two of these, and the first one was difficult (mostly because I was worried about hitting too hard.) Best thing I can say is to put the 10/22 on a table with the charging handle facing down, but with the handle hanging off the table so it lays flat. Next prop up the barrel with a couple of rolled up towels or something. Then I got my son to hang onto the gun and steady the barrel while I used a brass punch and hammer to smack the sight out. I did have to smack pretty hard, and you need to pay attention to where the punch is or you'll be beating it up where the two pieces meet, and you'll never get anywhere.

Hope that helps...
Old 01-21-2012, 04:37 PM
Oldgringo

TPC Rating: 
100% (4)
Thanks Papi,

I whacked some more using Mrs. Oldgringo as ballast to no avail. The hacksaw was summoned and the original 10/22 blade is no more. The Tech Sights went on without further drama.

A short trip to the range followed. After monkeying around with the sights, the rear sight is almost dead center. All of that whacking called for re-torquing the action. When I got a nice 3/4" hole at 25 yards using CCI SV it was quitting time. I am pleased.

The weather guys missed it today by about 17. We'll see what tomorrow looks like....?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-21-2012, 07:03 PM
JGant
US Marines Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Are you really a PE....
Old 01-21-2012, 07:06 PM
PapiPaco
US Air Force Veteran

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
What's a PE?
Old 01-21-2012, 07:57 PM
Oldgringo

TPC Rating: 
100% (4)
P.E. = Professional Engineer. I surrendered my license when I quit working. Inasmuch as there won't be a tombstone, there was no need to keep paying dues for the initials after the name. Besides that, nobody cares anymore anyway.
Old 02-03-2012, 08:01 AM
Oldgringo

TPC Rating: 
100% (4)
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlysAlot View Post
I had the same issue on a WalMart DSP the front sight would NOT budge... I finally broke down and bought a sight pusher (there's $50 that won't go to ammo...) Oh well! Old Gringo, I FEEL YOUR PAIN brother!

Oh and I am an A&P
All's well that ends well. That sight pusher will serve you well as you go about your A&P duties.
Old 02-04-2012, 08:54 AM
Andy_PHA

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I used a torch to heat it up a bit.
Old 02-04-2012, 11:47 AM
mac66
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! Appleseed Member Appleseed Rifleman

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Use a bigger hammer
Old 02-07-2012, 02:16 AM
mh434
Law Enforcement Officer

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
I found that a problem is if the barrel is cushioned too much when punching out the sight. Originally, I had the barrel on its side on carpet, thinking that it would protect the rifle. I smacked that thing at least a dozen times, hard, to no avail.

I ended up resting the side of the barrel on a 2X4 (thin layer of cotton cloth under it to protect the barrel's finish), used a chunk of brass rod as a drift, and a medium-sized hammer, and gave it a sharp rap. It started to move immediately, and the next rap popped it out. The carpet was absorbing too much of the blow.
Old 02-07-2012, 03:14 PM
Joseph4200

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
yeah I hammered mine out last night with a rubber mallot and a screwdrive.

Did it on the back of my truck bed. The front sight was definately more difficult but after some curse words i guess it got scared...
Old 02-07-2012, 03:20 PM
[email protected]
US Army NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
If you clamp the barrel in a vise it will eliminate the "flex" you have when resting it on a cushioned surface, and require far less work.

You can protect the barrel's finish from getting marred by using some old leather such as a scrap rifle sling or a piece cut from an old boot.
Old 02-08-2012, 11:47 AM
demon sins
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Worse caseIve used a dremel and cut off wheel,cut crossways in the center,just not too far.Again no more sight
Old 02-08-2012, 04:47 PM
nukehayes
US Navy

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
As stated earlier, propane torch on the barrel portion of the dovetail will help you out a whole bunch if anyone else is thinking about doing this. Heat is the kryptonite of metal.
Old 02-08-2012, 04:55 PM
Oldgringo

TPC Rating: 
100% (4)
Quote:
Originally Posted by demon sins View Post
Worse caseIve used a dremel and cut off wheel,cut crossways in the center,just not too far.Again no more sight
Yep, that's what I did...with a hacksaw. The objective was to remove the sight not preserve it. All gone, Cap.