Marauder Kit Arrived - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 02-02-2012, 06:29 PM
M6HTZ

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Marauder Kit Arrived

The kit arrived today! I am really impressed with it so far. Any pointers for a quick install. It looks to be very easy. I can't wait to take it out shooting.
Old 02-02-2012, 08:47 PM
Andy_PHA

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Install was pretty easy. The only thing I had a problem with is my allen key set was missing two of the three sizes needed. Promag should probably throw in some allen keys in the set especially if they are going to use three different sizes. As most will tell you the hardest part is removing factory sights. My tip on this one is I started out using a rubber mallet and while it knocked the front sight out pretty easy it wouldn't budge the rear. Once I got out my 16 oz framing hammer it came out no problem. Also pay attention to the recommended bolt tightening pattern as it does make a difference as to how well the top and bottom come together. I got to take mine to the range for the first time today and was surprised at how well the sights worked right off the bat. Mine was a little high and to the left one half rotation on the elevation screw and it was pretty good. Mag worked well only when I stuffed all 25 rounds in did it have a couple of rounds that got stuck under the little wire feeder. otherwise all went pretty well.
Old 02-02-2012, 08:47 PM
CraigVM62

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Look just a few threads down from the one you started and you will find lots of information:

https://www.rimfirecentral.com/forums...d.php?t=378731
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-02-2012, 09:37 PM
M6HTZ

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Thanks for the information, I plan to clean up my donor 10/22 well and get it together this weekend. Hopefully I can get some range time too. I need to upgrade the hammer, but for now I just plan to add a Primary Arms micodot that I have and some sort of sling.
Old 02-03-2012, 02:08 AM
HR218
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Here is a great assembly video.

And here is a video of it with a Primary Arms micro red dot sight on it.

Last edited by HR218; 02-03-2012 at 02:11 AM.
Old 02-03-2012, 07:44 PM
Andy_PHA

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
pretty sure I'm going to be picking up one of the red dots. The only thing I can't decide is if I want the micro, or one of the blemished AA red dots they have for very cheap. Only reason I'm leaning toward the micro is the weight savings.
Old 02-04-2012, 03:08 PM
M6HTZ

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I had the Primary Arms micro on my Saiga in 308 and it did well, but I decided to go with a more magnification. It performed well with the recoil and even held zero. The red dot is a little light, but I can still see it well in full sunlight.
Old 02-11-2012, 06:57 PM
M6HTZ

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I took the Nomad shooting today. I'm really pleased with the stock, the ergonomics are great. My only complaint was with the mag. I had difficulty getting the mag to feed. I had no problem with a few butler creek mags.
Old 02-16-2012, 11:28 AM
Drew K
US Air Force Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Something another user passed back to us about a mag that he felt the follower was hanging up or dragging:
He dressed the sides of the follower with a fairly fine piece of wet-and-dry to knock off any flashing or parting marks, and to polish the surface where it may contact the inner surfaces of the mag box.
At least for him, that solved his problem.
This was on a mag with front & rear steel pins with the modified profiles.
Old 02-22-2012, 01:33 PM
Jasper QST

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by M6HTZ View Post
The kit arrived today! I am really impressed with it so far. Any pointers for a quick install. It looks to be very easy. I can't wait to take it out shooting.
thanks for posting, as i just got my FIRST 10/22 today... i already have one tacticool stock on it now (which i love), but am definitely interested in this oe too- especially sicne the buiild/fit/finish/quality all look to be above and beyond some of those "other" kits...

my main question(s) are: blacksuntactical.com states on their page... "Plan on making your Marauder kit a permanent installation. You will need to remove the front and rear sights in addition to installing the Archangel extended magazine release and the Archangel bolt stop/release inside the trigger housing.
"...

how difficult is kit to install? is this "permanent"? im new to building/fixing/gunsmithing, so should i just take this somewhere to install?

i was dead set on getting one of these bad boys, but now im having second thoughts if its going to be more of a PERMANENT thing...?

thanks, much appreciated...!!!
Old 02-22-2012, 01:46 PM
M6HTZ

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I found the kit to be fairly easy to install. If you take your time and read the resources on line and watch the videos on the kit install and on the 10/22 bolt release you will be fine. It's a fun project and gives you a great deal of satisfaction when you complete it.

It takes a little elbow grease to get the rear site off, but mine came off with a little muscle. If you have any specific questions this board is a great resource too. I'm sure you could put the sites back on the gun if you wanted to or upgrade them. As far as the auto bolt and extended mag release you could easily return them to stock.

Last edited by M6HTZ; 02-22-2012 at 04:27 PM.
Old 02-23-2012, 08:27 PM
mh434
Law Enforcement Officer

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jasper QST View Post
thanks for posting, as i just got my FIRST 10/22 today... i already have one tacticool stock on it now (which i love), but am definitely interested in this oe too- especially sicne the buiild/fit/finish/quality all look to be above and beyond some of those "other" kits...

my main question(s) are: blacksuntactical.com states on their page... "Plan on making your Marauder kit a permanent installation. You will need to remove the front and rear sights in addition to installing the Archangel extended magazine release and the Archangel bolt stop/release inside the trigger housing.
"...

how difficult is kit to install? is this "permanent"? im new to building/fixing/gunsmithing, so should i just take this somewhere to install?

i was dead set on getting one of these bad boys, but now im having second thoughts if its going to be more of a PERMANENT thing...?

thanks, much appreciated...!!!
Nothing about installing the kit is truly "permanent". The only part that's somewhat awkward to reverse is the removal of the front & rear sights on the factory barrel. If you're careful (like I was), the sights can be removed without any damage at all, and can be re-installed at any time.

I found that the trick was to rest the barrel on the floor (don't let the wife see you doing this!), rested on a 2X4, with a cotton cloth between the barrel and the 2X4. The idea is to protect the barrel's finish, but NOT to pad it too much. If you do pad it a lot, the whole thing will just bounce, and the sights won't budge. REMOVE THE SIGHTS FROM LEFT TO RIGHT. I can't honestly say it won't work the other way, but everything I've read (even from Ruger) says remove left-to-right. So there!

Use a hammer and a punch (preferably brass, although I used a large steel pin punch), brace everything solidly with your knees, place & hold the punch solidly in position, then give it *one*solid*rap* with the hammer (do NOT succumb to the temptation to give it a couple more whacks without checking the position of the punch!).

You might have to do this 2 or 3 times, but the sight will just pop out. MAKE SURE the punch is complelely on the sight base and NOT touching the barrel, or you'll make a gouge in the edge of the barrel's dovetail.

Replacing the sights is just the reverse of the above. Mine didn't even get a mark on 'em, and they were in there tight!

Other than that, absolutely everything about the kit is reversible, easily.

Oh, one more thing...you probably won't ever want to change it back. It's soooo much fun as a Marauder/Nomad!!

Last edited by mh434; 02-23-2012 at 08:37 PM.