22/45 problem solved? - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > > >

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 10-17-2020, 09:58 PM
Area51guy
US Navy Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
22/45 problem solved?

I have a 22/45 lite that I bought about 2-3 years ago. From the get go, it has suffered from feeding problems. Failure to load, failure to extract, smoke stacks, etc. A few months ago I bought an aftermarket bolt kit (firing pin, spring and extractor. I installed the firing pin and spring but held off on changing out the extractor for some reason. Fast forward to a couple of days ago, I finally changed out the factory extractor for the precision machined one and low and behold, the feeding and extracting problems went away! While at the range, I ran a variety of makes and types of ammo (HV, Std Vel, solids and hollow points, etc) thru the gun without any issues. Once I had removed the original extractor, I took a good look at it under a magnifying glass and discovered that there were some small burrs on both sides! I whipped out the ole bench stone and worked both sides until the burrs were gone. Under a glass, the original part looked a lot like it had been stamped out rather than machined. If you are having the same types of problems with your 22/45 Mk4, it is worth the time to take a close look at the extractor!
Old 10-18-2020, 02:10 AM
US Air Force Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Very good news for you. Who's new parts did you use? I switched mine over with Volquartsen and my problems went away as well.
Old 10-18-2020, 09:45 AM
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Smile

AFG,

Great news! After cleaning the bolt channels real well, for the cost a new sharp extractor is one of the easiest and quickest drop-ins to cure FTE and stovepipes!

After the 1st 200 rounds or so on my MkIV's, I installed the TK extractors and that cured all extraction issues I was having. At about 2000 rounds, I went with the VQ extractors, finding them better made with higher precision specs and performance!

Ted
Advertisement

Old 10-18-2020, 10:00 AM
edlmann
US Air Force Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by AzShooter View Post
Very good news for you. Who's new parts did you use? I switched mine over with Volquartsen and my problems went away as well.
Years ago, ending about the time of the Photobucket debacle, we used to have a sticky which compared various aftermarket extractors. As I recall it, the winner was from Tactical Solutions. I can't find these on the Tacsol web site, but Brownells shows these available for backorder. Unfortunately, the gunsmith that posted the sticky left the board about the time of the Photobucket kerfuffle.
Old 10-18-2020, 10:22 AM
BadaBing11

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I had the exact same problems with my Ruger Mark IV Hunter. I replaced the extractor with a Tandemkross extractor and it runs everything I've fed it since.

I played with different ammos, mag modifications, for a year before I tried the inexpensive extractor ( I think about $10)
Old 10-18-2020, 10:56 AM

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by edlmann View Post
Years ago, ending about the time of the Photobucket debacle, we used to have a sticky which compared various aftermarket extractors. As I recall it, the winner was from Tactical Solutions. I can't find these on the Tacsol web site, but Brownells shows these available for backorder. Unfortunately, the gunsmith that posted the sticky left the board about the time of the Photobucket kerfuffle.
Appears still available from SGW!

Ted
Old 10-18-2020, 06:37 PM

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Theo98 View Post
Appears still available from SGW!

Ted
Just ordered one on your rec. Shipping is a lot on that site, $8 for a tiny part that could go in an envelope with a stamp. Hopefully the extractor is good!
Old 10-18-2020, 06:43 PM
BadaBing11

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by timlt View Post
Just ordered one on your rec. Shipping is a lot on that site, $8 for a tiny part that could go in an envelope with a stamp. Hopefully the extractor is good!
Stick with @theo98 when it comes to Ruger pistols . He has been my sensei since I got mine, and has always steered me right!
Old 10-18-2020, 09:40 PM

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by timlt View Post
That's due to the SGW software and programming! FWIW, I called and requested -a small part- be put in a regular envelope...they then refunded 75% of my shipping cost!

Ted
Old 10-18-2020, 09:44 PM

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadaBing11 View Post
Stick with @theo98 when it comes to Ruger pistols . He has been my sensei since I got mine, and has always steered me right!
BB,

Appreciate the vote of confidence...however, you make me !

Ted
Old 10-19-2020, 02:07 PM
Area51guy
US Navy Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
After market parts........

The kit I bought with firing pin, FP spring and extractor came from TK. I might put the old extractor (minus the burrs) back in to see if the burr removal actually will make it feed better.
Old Yesterday, 09:41 PM

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
So Theo, I installed the SGW extractor to replace the TK one. Had to use your hat pin trick from another thread. Only install an extractor every so often and it seems like each time I forget the technique, you end up having to mess with it for 15-20 minutes until you remember again.