Volquartsen Scorpion Vs Smith&Wesson 41 - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 10-18-2020, 01:40 AM

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Volquartsen Scorpion Vs Smith&Wesson 41

A picture speaks a thousand words.
Meet my new friend,,,,,,,,,Named her, "Black death.
Old 10-18-2020, 02:07 AM
AzShooter
US Air Force Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Wonderful picture and great looking gun.
Old 10-18-2020, 07:17 AM
eliteii

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Sweet setup!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-18-2020, 10:34 AM
BadaBing11
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Very nice! Wheres the part about the model 41? My 41 was a POS, so I'm all about hearing more details on the Scorpion. Please continue...
Old 10-18-2020, 01:24 PM

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BadaBing11 View Post
Very nice! Wheres the part about the model 41? My 41 was a POS, so I'm all about hearing more details on the Scorpion. Please continue...
My 41 was a POS too. Junk. It was accurate but it never could cycle reliably. Smith and wesson couldnt even fix it.

The Scorpion puts the Smith & Wesson model 41 to complete shame. Better looking, more accurate, much more reliable, smoother. Name a category and the Scorpion beats the model 41 in all of them.

If you're looking for light weight, my gun up there isn't the one you want. It's an all stainless steel model and it has some heft to it. But for me, I'll take the stainless steel model every time. Darn thing barely moves when fired. Superbly accurate. Really really accurate. Does not feel like a toy at all. I do not think the model I have is made any longer. Mine is a clone of the all steel Volquartsen .22WMR pistol, only chambered in 22lr with a target frame. It is the finest handgun I have ever owned.
Old 10-18-2020, 02:37 PM
wproct

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
That is one handsome pistol! I guess I have been just lucky as far as model 41 pistols are concerned. I have owned 3 of them in my lifetime and each one of them functioned perfectly. However, what I have found is that I just really prefer the grip angle of my Ruger MKII pistols. They are more comfortable and natural for me to shoot.
Old 10-18-2020, 03:18 PM
BadaBing11

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilentAssassin1 View Post
My 41 was a POS too. Junk. It was accurate but it never could cycle reliably. Smith and wesson couldnt even fix it.

The Scorpion puts the Smith & Wesson model 41 to complete shame. Better looking, more accurate, much more reliable, smoother. Name a category and the Scorpion beats the model 41 in all of them.

If you're looking for light weight, my gun up there isn't the one you want. It's an all stainless steel model and it has some heft to it. But for me, I'll take the stainless steel model every time. Darn thing barely moves when fired. Superbly accurate. Really really accurate. Does not feel like a toy at all. I do not think the model I have is made any longer. Mine is a clone of the all steel Volquartsen .22WMR pistol, only chambered in 22lr with a target frame. It is the finest handgun I have ever owned.
Congrats. I gotta get my hands on one of those someday. I am going to the VQ website right now and start shopping
Old 10-18-2020, 08:33 PM
webfoot56

TPC Rating: 
100% (96)
One fine looking pistol sir!
Old 10-18-2020, 08:52 PM
Turtle1903

TPC Rating: 
92% (8)
I have a 4.5 black nitride stainless scorpion with Volqaurtsen aluminum lower and really like it ! That is a very nice looking pistol you have there !
Old 10-18-2020, 09:38 PM
Smoothtrigger
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! Appleseed Member Appleseed Rifleman

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Pre Scorpion, now discontinued.

V-2000

Super accurate, and goes bang every time.
20 shots of CCI SV at 25yds off a MTM rest.

When I was shooting it in my ranges Bullseye league, we came close to banning SW41's because of alibis. I'm not kidding.
I will say that they are a great looking pistol, and if you take them apart their is nothing cheap about them. However unfortunately many just wont' cycle reliably

I now shoot mine in Steel Challenges using a C-More.

I've seen dozens of different Scorpions, most of which look "Nasty.
Your's is right there with the very nastiest of them.
Great looking pistol.

Smooth

If you notice, I had mine made without a front sight dovetail. I new I wasn't ever going to shoot it with Irons, and I didn't want to look at the empty dovetail.
The rear dovetail is just part of a Ruger receiver

Last edited by Smoothtrigger; 10-18-2020 at 09:59 PM.
Old 10-19-2020, 09:59 PM

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Thank you all for the replies and compliments. Really appreciate it.
I lusted for the Volquartsen V2000 many years ago. That is a very nice pistol.

Today I changed the looks of mine. My lower rail came in. And my Leupold fx2 2x magnification scope arrived. I have it set up where I can switch from the Holosun red dot, to the scope when I want to.
I also picked up an 1200 lumen Olight for the lower rail. I will use that at night for beaver and Nutria rats. I got the wrong one though. So I have to take it back tomorrow and exchange it for the 1500 lumen, rechargeable. This one isnt rechargeable. I do not know how I missed that. But boy oh boy does it light it up outside. It makes daylight in pitch black well beyond 100 yards.

Last edited by SilentAssassin1; 10-19-2020 at 11:22 PM.
Old 10-20-2020, 11:26 PM
BadaBing11

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I notice on the VQ site they calin the trigger to be at 2.2 lbs. They claim 2-3 on their Ruger accurizing kit. Mine comes out 1lb 2 oz.

I was just wondering if the triggers on the scorpions could be made closer to 1 to 1.5 lbs? Is there any adjustment?
Old Yesterday, 12:07 AM

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
I notice on the VQ site they calin the trigger to be at 2.2 lbs. They claim 2-3 on their Ruger accurizing kit. Mine comes out 1lb 2 oz.

I was just wondering if the triggers on the scorpions could be made closer to 1 to 1.5 lbs? Is there any adjustment?
There are pre-travel and over travel screws. I have not measured mine. It's nice.
Mine acts like a two stage trigger. You have a bit of take up, it hits the wall, and anything after that she sends one down range. I'm sure I could adjust that out of it, but I like it the way it is. I could make it a 1 pound trigger , or a 1.5 pound trigger. But It's pretty nice now. I might do that at some point. So the answer to your question is yes, but no. They can be made to have a lighter weight of pull but it would be a manual reshape with a stone and polish job. No magic screws to take the weight down.
Old Yesterday, 12:15 AM
BadaBing11

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilentAssassin1 View Post
There are pre-travel and over travel screws. I have not measured mine. It's nice.
Mine acts like a two stage trigger. You have a bit of take up, it hits the wall, and anything after that she sends one down range. I'm sure I could adjust that out of it, but I like it the way it is. I could make it a 1 pound trigger , or a 1.5 pound trigger. But It's pretty nice now. I might do that at some point. So the answer to your question is yes, but no. They can be made to have a lighter weight of pull but it would be a manual reshape with a stone and polish job. No magic screws to take the weight down.
Thanks, I think the trigger for the ruger accurizing kit might be based off the scorpion trigger. The differences in pull weight are likely much more variable on the Ruger because tolerances vary much more in the frame. Nonetheless, that little bit of take-up I believe is part of the design. I like it too.

I really am getting more interest in these scorpions. I'm just not sure how to spec one out.

I'm about 300 miles from Carrol Iowa. If they had them in their shop to handle them, it could be worth the ride to find out what I like best.

Thank you for the info.
Old Yesterday, 12:34 AM

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:

I'm about 300 miles from Carrol Iowa. If they had them in their shop to handle them, it could be worth the ride to find out what I like best.

Thank you for the info.
I think you can ride to the shop and handle them. I didn't think I was going to like the target frame and grips , but now that I been using it, everything else feels funny. I bet a Scorpion battleworn with grey laminates would look real nice. If you can get the battleworn finish with target frams . Might only be able to get it with 22/45 frames. I am more of a fan of the MKIII than the MKIV. I dont' care about the push button take down. The MKIII is simple when you know how.

Last edited by SilentAssassin1; Yesterday at 12:40 AM.