Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 02-06-2009, 04:07 PM
Magnusfarce

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
1/2" Dowel Rod Worked For Me

The barrel on my new 10/22 was in pretty tight so I went after it with a 10 inch length of 1/2" or 5/8" wooden dowel rod and a medium sized ball peen hammer. A few swift kicks and it was out.
Old 09-14-2020, 03:52 PM
strikeking

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Question

When you guys are talking "bolt slams" are you implying - Dry firing?
Or just racking it back without locking and letting it slam forward?

Because I am having the exact same problem. I am about to try the method of putting it in the freezer for an hour and then hitting it with a blow dryer.

I don't have a shop vise, unfortunately.

There was a video on youtube of using a wrench for leverage.. but I dunno about doing this either.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HMB_00uM8DM&
Old 09-14-2020, 04:06 PM
Eagle0199
US Army Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Original Post is from 2009

Original post is from 2009 and it has been a favorite topic, enough so that there is a stickey under 10/22 Tips and Tricks that details the best method I have ever found.

https://www.rimfirecentral.com/forum...ad.php?t=88159
Old 09-14-2020, 04:12 PM
jkingrph
US Air Force Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Never had a problem with a 10/22, but fits with a 77/22. I replaced the stock barrel with a shaw and talk about tight. Had to freeze the barrel and heat the receiver to tap them together.
Old 09-14-2020, 08:29 PM
Nick7274
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
100% (18)
Just hit it with some heat (hair dryer or heat gun) and it will come right out. Just make sure to heat evenly around the front of the receiver.
Old 09-14-2020, 10:29 PM
Outrider
US Navy Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I'll remember the way your gunsmith handled it - makes much sense, now that I think about it. I was going to suggest, since you want to replace the barrel anyway, putting the receiver in a vice between two pieces of wood and taking a pipe wrench to the barrel. I like your 'smith's solution a lot better.
Old 09-15-2020, 08:41 AM
jkingrph
US Air Force Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I would suggest you place it in a vise upside down, holding the barrel between aa couple of blocks of wood to prevent marring, Heat th reciever with a heat gun or hair dryer, then using another block of wood, as a punch, hit it while holding it against the forward lug on the receiver., knocking it back.
Old 09-15-2020, 03:30 PM
ms6852
US Army Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Give the barrel a few whacks with a rubber mallet right close to the receiver. It should break what ever is causing the binding. Do not tap it gently, whack it good and hard, its a rubber mallet.
Old 09-17-2020, 02:24 PM
scottycoyote
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (6)
had the same problem and did a youtube search, guy recommended taking a large adjustable wrench and tape the jaws and use it as a tool, was able to work the barrel loose no problem and no scratches.
Old 10-18-2020, 01:43 AM
SixPackABS

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Tried all even the thermal and back the barrel in the receiver with dowel and rubber hammer just wont budge. This is with a stock carbine with only 400 rounds run on it.
Old 10-18-2020, 11:20 AM
Nick7274
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
100% (18)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SixPackABS View Post
Tried all even the thermal and back the barrel in the receiver with dowel and rubber hammer just wont budge. This is with a stock carbine with only 400 rounds run on it.
I've never had a 10/22 barrel, no matter how tight the fit, that wouldn't come out after heating the front of the receiver. Forget about putting it in the freezer. That's fine for installation when you can put just the barrel in. But when you put the barrel and receiver in the freezer your "shrinking" them both so when you heat them up they are both going to expand. Just heat up really good around the front of the receiver with a heat gun or a hair dryer. Wrap the barrel with a towel or some rags near the receiver. As it heats up hold it by the barrel and tap on the little ears that come down on the bottom of the front of the receiver with a rubber mallet until it comes loose. Don't worry if you have to give it a few good whack's. You can also try slamming the bolt first. Just hold the bolt release down, pull back on the charging handle, and let it fly forward over and over to see if it free's up. This is all assuming that you removed the V-block of course.
Old 10-18-2020, 04:58 PM
SixPackABS

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
@nick7274
Thanks for the mallet.to the ear idea. Well it did not work for me but what happened is instead of planning to drop it off at my LGS for the removal I gave it another try. Heated the reciever with thenheat tool. Whacked the ears with thr rubber mallet but it didnt budge. Squirted several times with the PB blaster and let it soak. And then installed the stock bolt and just kept.on slamming it until a movie I was watching was finished. I then noticed a very small barrel movement. Heated the receiver and then whacked the vblock towards the reciever while holding the barrel with th the ne other hand............. now my green mountain barrel was finally installed. Once again thanks. Btw the new barrel that was in the freezer for 48 hours just slipped in like butter . I also put in some Anti-seize on it.

Last edited by SixPackABS; 10-18-2020 at 05:24 PM.
Old 10-18-2020, 05:40 PM
Nerostarr
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
A 3/4" open end wrench works like a charm, put some masking tape on the barrel so the wrench doesn't scratch it and turn while holding the receiver in your hand. After a few revolutions the barrel comes right out no problem. I've had very stubborn barrels not budging, but the wrench trick works wonders.
Old 10-18-2020, 08:58 PM
dbr65
US Navy Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (260)
OK, an ideal device for removing a REALLY tight barrel is the barrel pusher tool.* I have one and have used it many times over the years. It works at least 90% of the time.

When that barrel seems to be totally immovable, even with the barrel pusher, basic physics can be applied (some of which has been alluded to here). You'll need a can of the compressed air that is often used to clean electronics of dust and dirt. Remove the trigger assembly and put the barreled receiver in the oven at 300 for at least 30 minutes, remove it from the oven (handle with oven mitts), turn it bottom side up and insert the tube with the tip in chamber area with the can upside down and blow a good blast into the barrel. Make sure you are wearing protective glasses and do NOT breathe whlle spraying as "stuff" will splash up from the breech. You may then actually be able to twist the barrel free of the receiver. If not, grip the barrel and smack the receiver ears with a mallet (I use a rawhide mallet) to drive it off the barrel tenon. If this doesn't work, repeat heating in the oven and the air spray. I have never had a barrel that could not be removed this way. This procedure has been described here before by DrG with perhaps minor differences. It works!

Doug

* https://www.1022ruger.com/accutec-ru...barrel-pusher/
Old 10-18-2020, 10:13 PM
SixPackABS

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
@dbr65
is that a DIY barrel pusher. I read some post about it but cannot find one with working links of their pics. That oven with cold compressed air combo was my last resort if the whack the vblock/bolt slam combo didnt work.