Not Pleased With Action Plus - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 10-15-2020, 11:16 PM
US Air Force Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Not Pleased With Action Plus

I found Eley Action Plus a few weeks ago and it was said to be great new ammo for Steel Challenge Matches because of the speed, 42 ounce weight of the projectile and the added recoil to make the compensator as well as being louder for the timers to pick up the report of the weapon.

Well, after 3 weeks of practicing with this ammo I should have gone back to my normal CCI-Blazers for the State.

I've had a few failure to fires, about 1 - 2 per hundred rounds but was still hoping that this would go away. Today, out of the 200 rounds for the match I had 5 failures to fire cause 3 long jams needed to take out the magazine and insert a new one. The is terrible when shooting under a clock.

One of the guys on my squad told me he experienced the same problems with his Ruger Mark IV 22/45 as I was having with my Volquartsen Black Mamba.

I've got another case to burn up during practice. It does shoot nice groups but I will no longer use it for competitions, regulated my ammo choices to my supply of Blazers and Aguila Super Extra.

Anyone else using Action Plus I hope it works better out of your guns.
Old 10-16-2020, 03:07 AM
Jory45acp
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
I've been shooting it in my Mamba with zero issues. I have several cases of it sitting for use. Can you share what lot# you have been using? Maybe a few others with same lot will be able to add more results on reliability.
Old 10-16-2020, 05:59 AM

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
3919 303257

I hope this helps anyone with problems. I'm going to send Eley a message to let them know as well.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-16-2020, 10:28 PM
cnc1951

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
I have the same lot # and it shoots ok in my 1022T like regular plinking ammo. Won't buy anymore at $35 a brick. I did notice the little "recoil" bump that you mentioned so it felt a little hotter than regular bulk.
Old 10-16-2020, 11:08 PM

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I got a message from one of Eley's shooters, Kurt Grimes and he told me to replace the mainspring with a stronger one. I guess it was fortunate that I ordered a new rebound spring system last week from Volquartsen.

I haven't had a chance to test his theory but I will this week. Hopefully all will be well.
Old 10-17-2020, 08:15 AM
Jory45acp

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
I've got 30249 and 30251 case lots. I'm interested to see if spring replacement changes your reliability and felt recoil impulse. Steve Foster a World Class Steel rimfire shooter uses Eley Force, which is even hotter than Action Plus. I'm overall very happy with Eley Action and Plus ammo. For it's price point, you get some nice above average quality ammo and it performs well. While not every gun will see stellar results it's on average a pretty good mid grade ammo for what I use it for. If Killough's has it at $320/case a few times a year, I'll keep stocking it in my vault. Post your results when you replace those springs.
Old 10-17-2020, 10:37 AM
elohssa63

TPC Rating: 
75% (2)
I have been getting FTF with Eley Match lately. Other shooters at our range are getting the same results with Eley. It's not a firing pin spring issue as we get no FTF with Lapua or RWS. When I shoot my remaining supply of Eley there will be no more.
Old 10-17-2020, 11:32 AM
Mark1964

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by elohssa63 View Post
I have been getting FTF with Eley Match lately. Other shooters at our range are getting the same results with Eley. It's not a firing pin spring issue as we get no FTF with Lapua or RWS. When I shoot my remaining supply of Eley there will be no more.
Had a half-dozen FTFs from a brick of Eley-made Wolf Match Extra.
Like you, I don't think it was a pin-strike issue. Marks were well defined and reasonably deep. No problems with older Eley, SK, Lapua, etc.
Old 10-17-2020, 03:52 PM
MajorD
US Army Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
So far I have been having no good luck with the action. In the current market $35 a brick is about a size good as you can do price wise and no news to people here this ammo is far superior to anything put out by Remington or Winchester!
I got tighter groups precision rifle wise than my now depleted old “good” lot of cci standards.
I will buy more.
I still need to test my most recent purchase of eley contact at distance in a rifle.
Does just fine in multiple pistols again somewhat better than cci standard.
Old 10-17-2020, 04:28 PM

TPC Rating: 
100% (11)
What’s wrong with shooting Blazers in a match if they work .
It’s not like the difference in accuracy is going to cause a miss on a steel plate .
I shoot Blazers in my Ruger 10/22 and CZ’s when I shoot offhand .
Off the bench it’ll hold the ten ring at 25 yards . I can’t do any better than that if I were to use match ammo that would take out the X ring off the bench .
Old 10-17-2020, 06:52 PM

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I've been shooting Blazers for my match ammo and am very happy with it. Reading about Action Plus I wanted to give it a try but it's just not for me. I do like the louder report and the way it makes the compensator work but because of the FTFs I am selling the remainder of my stash to a friend.

I'm going back to my Blazers.

Last edited by AzShooter; 10-18-2020 at 01:46 AM.
Old 10-17-2020, 11:38 PM
davew

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I'm not a fan of the Action Plus. I view it as a slightly cheaper alternative to CCI mini-mags with no accuracy benefit.
Old 10-18-2020, 06:41 AM
Penage Guy

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by AzShooter View Post
I found Eley Action Plus a few weeks ago and it was said to be great new ammo for Steel Challenge Matches because of the speed, 42 ounce weight of the projectile and the added recoil to make the compensator as well as being louder for the timers to pick up the report of the weapon.
I had heard about Eley Action, a subsonic round designed for use with semi-autos. The Eley Action Plus is a supersonic ammo and Eley really means Plus with that weight.