Charger build advise - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 07-21-2020, 07:50 AM
outdoorsmen
Fire Fighter NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)

I'm in the beginning stages of a build project. I have been looking at the odin chassis. I like both models and can't decide which to get. Suppressers aren't legal in democrat state so the barrel i want would be a carbon fiber style about 8"-10"long i guess so that it would look good in the chassis. I cant anyone other then volquartsen making a short carbon barrel.
The tac hammer looks cool although I'm not sold on the cantilever mount idea.

I think I'm gonna use a feddersen receiver that I have. Bad part is its chrome color. I was thinking of sending it to get powdercoated.

I just ordered a Franklin armory binary trigger.

With all that being said i wonder if its not just better off ordering a complete charger lite takedown and put a sb brace on it and call it good (after I put the binary trigger in it).
Being a takedown doesn't really thrill me. It wouldn't work in the odin chassis if i decide at a later date. Maybe I'm to hung up on the odin, idk.

Advise? See a therapist?

Last edited by outdoorsmen; 07-21-2020 at 08:36 AM.
Old 07-21-2020, 12:18 PM
Nick7274
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
100% (18)
I didn't know Feddersen made a Charger receiver. If you have a regular Feddersen 10/22 receiver you can't legally make it a Charger. A Charger is a pistol. You can't make a pistol out of a receiver that was built for a rifle. You could apply for your Federal tax stamp and make it an SBR.
Old 07-21-2020, 02:05 PM
outdoorsmen

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I know the charger is a pistol......i got the feddersen stripped receiver as an empty receiver, no barrel mounted on it. 4473 filled out as receiver, not declared as rifle or pistol. I would presume that would allow me to legally turn it into a charger. Just drawing from buying AR stripped lowers to use as pistol builds.
So you gonna tell me it's not the same?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-21-2020, 03:24 PM
DrewBone

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by outdoorsmen View Post
I know the charger is a pistol......i got the feddersen stripped receiver as an empty receiver, no barrel mounted on it. 4473 filled out as receiver, not declared as rifle or pistol. I would presume that would allow me to legally turn it into a charger. Just drawing from buying AR stripped lowers to use as pistol builds.
You may build your Fedderson receiver into whatever you want, pistol or rifle, but I would suggest pistol first so you can then legally go back and forth from pistol to rifle at will.

In regards to a chassis system, you're the one who needs to decide if spending up to 2/3 the cost of a complete OEM Charger pistol on only a chassis system is worth it to you. The OEM Ruger Charger stocks offer either a provision for mounting a picatinny type brace or already come equipped with this option, so outside of just "looking cool" IMHO the chassis systems offer no real advantage - other than lightening your wallet.

Of course there will be those who disagree, having spent their money on a chassis system to prove it
Old 07-21-2020, 06:09 PM
IndustryOutsider

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
What's your goal with this? Least expensive chassis? Lightest? Coolest looking? Best features? Most versatile? Best with a handguard?

I have owned 4 different chassis, and my 5th is on the way. I'm happy to offer some advice, but you should decide what you are trying to accomplish first.
Old 07-21-2020, 07:05 PM
Nick7274
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
100% (18)
Quote:
Gotcha. I was thinking where you said that you were using a Feddersen receiver that you already had that it was probably built as a rifle.
Old 07-21-2020, 09:12 PM
outdoorsmen

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by IndustryOutsider View Post
What's your goal with this? Least expensive chassis? Lightest? Coolest looking? Best features? Most versatile? Best with a handguard?

I have owned 4 different chassis, and my 5th is on the way. I'm happy to offer some advice, but you should decide what you are trying to accomplish first.
Money is not an issue but yet I dont want to make a dumb buy and waste money. I want simple and light weight. Folding brace and angled hand guard or finger stop. Needs to look good.
I dont want anything with a AR buffer tube, dont like mixing 10/22 with AR components.
Old 07-22-2020, 08:11 PM
IndustryOutsider

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Quote:
Money is not an issue but yet I dont want to make a dumb buy and waste money. I want simple and light weight. Folding brace and angled hand guard or finger stop. Needs to look good.
I dont want anything with a AR buffer tube, dont like mixing 10/22 with AR components.
I would hardly call a receiver extension mixing components. But if you don't want a receiver extension, I think you're limited to Enoch Industries. Which limits you to SB Tactical or Sig for your folding brace. Unless you are willing to get a Picatinny adapter.
Old 07-22-2020, 11:56 PM
Rick67

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Summit Precision has carbon fiber barrels in different colors.

He can also make a short version for an extra $40.
Old 07-23-2020, 04:46 PM
IndustryOutsider

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick67 View Post
Summit Precision has carbon fiber barrels in different colors.

He can also make a short version for an extra $40.
Mine's being made right now.
Old 10-17-2020, 07:32 PM
Tigers1363

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Mine's being made right now.
How do you order the custom barrel length? Would love to get one in 10 for an SBR
Old 10-17-2020, 08:11 PM
IndustryOutsider

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigers1363 View Post
How do you order the custom barrel length? Would love to get one in 10 for an SBR
Just contact Matt and let him know what you're looking for.
Old 10-17-2020, 08:15 PM
Tigers1363

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Just contact Matt and let him know what you're looking for.

Thank you sir

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 10-17-2020, 11:27 PM
IndustryOutsider

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigers1363 View Post
Thank you sir

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
I just saw him a couple of hours ago. So if you don't contact him, you'll make a liar out of me.
Old 10-18-2020, 06:39 AM
Tigers1363

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
I just saw him a couple of hours ago. So if you don't contact him, you'll make a liar out of me.
Emailed him and gave you a shout out for causing me to stopping overthinking and go with them.