What Long range scope - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 10-15-2020, 10:41 PM
Hirschi1

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
What Long range scope

Folks, I'm 48, I've owned 22 long rifles for years. I've just bought my first left-hand bolt rifle. I'm looking to top it with a scope that can track well, FFP, open turrets, clear glass, and of course other characteristics of a fine scope. My budget for the scope is $500. What do you recommend? It will be used to hunt small game, target shooting and probably some rimfire competitions.
Old 10-15-2020, 11:49 PM

TPC Rating: 
96% (20)
Well welcome to the forum! I have little experience with FFP scopes, but hopefully someone will come along with some suggestions.
Old 10-16-2020, 04:46 AM
StanHi

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hirschi1 View Post
Folks, I'm 48, I've owned 22 long rifles for years. I've just bought my first left-hand bolt rifle. I'm looking to top it with a scope that can track well, FFP, open turrets, clear glass, and of course other characteristics of a fine scope. My budget for the scope is $500. What do you recommend? It will be used to hunt small game, target shooting and probably some rimfire competitions.
There are sooo many choices; which is great for us consumers. I have used 2 models that are close to your description. And there are probably 10 more I haven't used. The Vortex Diamond Back and the Athlon Argos, both 6-24X, have served me well for target shooting, NRL & PRS matches. I gotta tell you that I would not want to carry these in the field for hunting- just too heavy (34 oz +/-). If your maximum range is 200 yards, I think 16-20X will be OK and can be found in a lighter scope.

Of the 2 I mentioned the Athlon is my preference. But both good scopes; kind of a Ford vs Chevy thing. You can get more scope for less $$$ if you buy used. This is my first choice- but I usually can't find what I'm looking for very easily.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-16-2020, 05:17 AM

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Iím a SWFA guy my self.

I hunt and target shoot to 300yds so far, with the 22lr with a 10x Mil/Mil side parallax scope.

Yes more power the tighter you can hold.
I have pretty good eyes.
Iíve shot groups in the .1s at 25yds so the more power thing doesnít bother me.
Of course Iím not shooting for serious competition or money.
Something I could get away with In the field and at the range.
I run 12x on my centerfires and commonly shoot to 750yds no problem at bang MOA plates.
Cheers
Now.
The diamond back tactical is a really good scope for the money.
Any company that replaces their scope no questions asked is where I would go.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 10-16-2020, 09:06 AM
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kilerham View Post
Iím a SWFA guy my self.

I hunt and target shoot to 300yds so far, with the 22lr with a 10x Mil/Mil side parallax scope.

Yes more power the tighter you can hold.
I have pretty good eyes.
Iíve shot groups in the .1s at 25yds so the more power thing doesnít bother me.
Of course Iím not shooting for serious competition or money.
Something I could get away with In the field and at the range.
I run 12x on my centerfires and commonly shoot to 750yds no problem at bang MOA plates.
Cheers
Now.
The diamond back tactical is a really good scope for the money.
Any company that replaces their scope no questions asked is where I would go.
Ditto - Standard (rear parallax) 10x SWFA on the .22 (front) and 12x on the CF -

The Vortex Diamondback Tactical 6-24x50 First Focal Plane might work for you as well.
Old 10-16-2020, 09:26 AM
sweetmk
US Navy Veteran

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Quote:
It will be used to hunt small game, target shooting and probably some rimfire competitions.
For me, that list of requirements for the use of a 22LR shooting device, requires 3 different answers, not one.

A low power scope is perfect for small game hunting,, maybe even 2-7X

Once you find the right one, a zero power optic is almost impossible to beat for plinking,,
( I purchased at least 4 zero power red dots before I found the right one for me )

Rimfire competition? I think that optic starts at 16X,,
Old 10-16-2020, 09:57 AM
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Imho: A ffp scope is difficult to use at low magnification. The reticle gets so small it ends being useless and up cluttering or obscuring the view. An xmas tree reticle on a ffp imho is the best to not do this. An ffp scope on a 22 is a bit of an overkill ho far can you really shoot them.

A 25 moa rail and a scope with 60 moa of adjustment should be fine. But that nixes the 4x scope and the red dot. The arent going to zero so easily at 25 yards on a 25 moa rail.
Old 10-17-2020, 09:49 PM
US Army Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:

Best one you will find for that money. On the heavy side but a real optic.

https://arkenopticsusa.com/SH4GENII-6-24X50-c58025025

Last edited by cz453; 10-17-2020 at 09:53 PM.